Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right when i get a new battery and think that im ready to go, another problem pops up lol. My gas tank is leaking. I called around a few places trying to look for a Supra that is being parted out, but no one anywhere near me or my city has one. A new gas tank from the Toyota dealership will run $800!

Im trying to think of another way to fix this. Maybe taking it out and welding up the rust spots?
going ot a metal shop and getting one Custom fabricated for me?
What do you think folks think will be most effective, and what do you guys think would be cheapest?

Please help. thanks.
Chris

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
be very careful when welding gas tanks. ive heard some pretty bad stories from my auto teacher. If you can try find one, but if it last resort id take it in to get welded

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
Suck it up man. I just drove my car this past weekend and I've been workin on it since 2002. Probs after probs after probs, I know where you're coming from. Fix up that gas tank and you're good to go.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Goto autozone or some place and get gastank sealer. You sand off the protective layer of rubber on your gas tank, then plug this stuff into the leak. Worked great on my other car, never had another leak. It's about $10 also, a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MASHedDough, its brutal hey. Especially when people tell you to give up and are like "sell your car" lol you wanna tell them to screw off because you love it too much.

and hatchback19, this gastank sealer stuff, is it just for if there is al eak? because its my tank that has a few rust spots that the gas is dripping out of. And it only leaks when the tank is over 1/2 a tank full, so the spots are a bit higher... will it still work as good as it has for you?

and going to get it welded, or a new one fabbed, how much yuo think it would cost me?

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
Fuzzybanana said:
MASHedDough, its brutal hey. Especially when people tell you to give up and are like "sell your car" lol you wanna tell them to screw off because you love it too much.

Tell me about it. On several occasions, I was lookin for another car already. But, now that I'm super close to gettin it done, I couldnt be happier. Driving it for the 1st time the other night, I was fuckin happy. Fell back in love with the car. Stick with it man, you'll get it.

Have you posted a WTB add in the for sale section? Im sure theres someone on the forums that'll hook you up with a gas tank. I know IdealSupra is parting out 2 Supras right now. Hes in FLA, so the shippin might be a lot, but, better than welding or patching it up. Jus a suggestion. Good luck man.

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
to bad u arent local i got a spare one! sorry bud hope u get it fixed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tell you the truth, im paranoid about buying stuff off here. Ebay im fine with, but im worried about shady characters lol. no offense to anyone selling somethign on here.

hey Justin727, excuse my ignorance but where is Gulfport?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
get a 15 gallon fuel cell.

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
Spoolme said:
get a 15 gallon fuel cell.

Now thats not a bad idea at all.

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
I got a different gas tank from a local junk yard. You can try to got to a shop to weld it up for you, but it depends how big the rust areas are. Good Luck

-Dave

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
Fuzzybanana said:
um, the sad thing is, I dont know waht a 15 gallon fuel cell is.
:wtflol: Thats pretty funny. Its a racing fuel tank. You need em in your car after you run a certain ET but in your case, it may be cheaper and better to get one since your tank is whacked out. It would brand new, not used, not welded up, it would last longer.

Go here http://store.summitracing.com and search for fuel cells.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Contact a third party part manfucature. I dont know if you have similar places in Edmonton, but I think it is aadco here in Ontario that sells brand new gas tanks for our car for $250cdn

·
Registered
204 Posts
Have you tried going to a pick and pull? There's so many MK3's if you look around. I'm sure you could find a gas tank.

G

·
If you don't want to spend the money on that 15 gallon tank i would still recommend the gastank sealer from canadian tire. Make sure you remove the rust good and make it nice and smooth, keep the area clean before you put the stuff in/on it. I dunno much about the supra myself but this one thing i can tell you from my experience.
It's been good for now but it's only been about 4 months since i did that.

Good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts