Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the worst modification or one you kind of regret, on your supra?

Mine so far is the door panels. When getting painted I thought it would be cool to get them wrapped in suede. Bad idea ha. This has led to the speaker panels not staying on because they had to be taken a part etc. I should have left them alone.

· Super Moderator
14,009 Posts
Removing A/C.
Doing that just ruins the ability to use it as a regular car when you feel like it, especially in warmer regions.

· Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Removing A/C.
Doing that just ruins the ability to use it as a regular car when you feel like it, especially in warmer regions.
Yeah living in Texas I could not live without a/c. Plus I need it to clear the windows when it's a little foggy too.

Worst mod I've done? I can't think of any right now only because I haven't gone too crazy.

· Old School
4,433 Posts
I haven't done any bad mods. Seriously. Reading this forum diligently for well over 20 years has saved my ass from lots of stupid ideas. :)

· Registered
177 Posts
just the price I spent on some of the upgrades

Reupholstering the seats and door panels for $4k

Paying around $3k (more than the values of the wheels) to have my wheels refinished.

I absolutely had to have oem parts. And paid a premium on stuff that I really didn’t need.

I realized I probably could have purchased another one of my “dream cars” with the money I spent if I had a clear direction, but I kept on switching gears. But I totally understand, it’s part of the process!!

· Registered
2,128 Posts
My other MKIV, worst mod was converting steering to a manual rack. Being on 275 wide tires up front made it worse. I hated that mod more than deleting my AC in Florida. Final hated mod was prob deleting charcoal canister and wreaking of fuel vapor everywhere, all the time.

· Registered
34 Posts
What is the worst modification or one you kind of regret, on your supra?

Mine so far is the door panels. When getting painted I thought it would be cool to get them wrapped in suede. Bad idea ha. This has led to the speaker panels not staying on because they had to be taken a part etc. I should have left them alone.
What a great question. Back in the early 2000s I tried to put clutch, brake, and accelerator pedals that lit up in neon colors. It seriously made the car dangerous to drive due to no clearance with the toe and the under dash trim. Such a pointless thing to do. Stock petals are fine.

· Registered
2,488 Posts
Sometimes we get caught up in chasing the horsepower figures without fully thinking through how the final number will affect the rest of the vehicle.

In my case, this included installing 15" drag radials in the rear. Sure it made it easier to put the power down in straight line, but also made the vehicle float side to side around bends at anything higher than 10 mph.

Tires are definitely something I should have done a bit more prior homework on. Lesson learned.

· Registered
1,435 Posts
Cody Philips oiling mod. Included extended oil pan and oil remote filter location. Required removal of a/c + plugging factory oil gallery. Resulted in really good oil pressure during acceleration but really oil pressure at idle. sW used this setup in his record setting back car. Motor had to come out to reverse it.

Close second.. Buck Performance brake booster.. I run larger cams that result in poor vacuum at idle.. thought this would be a great "upgrade".. it was a complete bag of shit. Looks really fn good but does not feel good. Thankfully the heritage program brought back the brake booster.. I put all new everything during the reversal.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cody Philips oiling mod. Included extended oil pan and oil remote filter location. Required removal of a/c + plugging factory oil gallery. Resulted in really good oil pressure during acceleration but really oil pressure at idle. sW used this setup in his record setting back car. Motor had to come out to reverse it.

Close second.. Buck Performance brake booster.. I run larger cams that result in poor vacuum at idle.. thought this would be a great "upgrade".. it was a complete bag of shit. Looks really fn good but does not feel good. Thankfully the heritage program brought back the brake booster.. I put all new everything during the reversal.
What was so bad about the brake booster? Just curious.

· Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Sometimes we get caught up in chasing the horsepower figures without fully thinking through how the final number will affect the rest of the vehicle.

In my case, this included installing 15" drag radials in the rear. Sure it made it easier to put the power down in straight line, but also made the vehicle float side to side around bends at anything higher than 10 mph.

Tires are definitely something I should have done a bit more prior homework on. Lesson learned.
Also the downgrade to non-turbo tiny rear brakes to fit the 15 inch wheels. I understand the why people had to do it but felt less braking power with more horsepower was not a great thing.

· From the land down under
5,624 Posts
Bright blue leds in the dash cluster and AC unit :(

2007 me loved them, as the faded light green jdm lights were so dated, but I wish I had thought more about it first and perhaps gone with a white led kit so it doesnt look like a throwback to the late 90s

If I knew somebody nearby who could replace the AC unit lights, I would redo the dash cluster myself but instead, Ill have to live with my poor decision making for the rest of my days

1 - 20 of 44 Posts