Supra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

· Registered
5,711 Posts
worst mod? probably the hack job radio wiring younger me thought was good. now i'm going back and fixing it all.
whatever you do, take your time and do it right.
other than that i havent done much. my car is BPU so not much done to begin with.

· Registered
1993 JDM Supra RZ
142 Posts
I regret pulling the active aero front lip. I swapped it for a carbon TRD style lip which looks great, but I miss the uniqueness of the active aero. I still have the lip but sold off the ECU and switch, so I could always wire it up with a manual switch I guess.

Maybe I just need a second Supra, one to mod and one to keep OEM+

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I regret pulling the active aero front lip. I swapped it for a carbon TRD style lip which looks great, but I miss the uniqueness of the active aero. I still have the lip but sold off the ECU and switch, so I could always wire it up with a manual switch I guess.

This! I wrestled with the idea of getting an after market lip but so far i am glad I have kept the active aero.

· Registered
224 Posts
Putting a manual transmission and twin disc clutch with Detroit locker behind a Cummins, not a Supra but a turbo 6 cylinder haha. Never ever will I run a manual behind a diesel, but my complete combo sucks unless your towing really heavy

· Registered
49 Posts

I always thought the active aero front lip was such a good looking piece. And, it's incredibly uncommon to find. Maybe I'm just a gadget fiend, I dunno.

· Registered
5,774 Posts
overall i am pretty happy of what i have done. However in hindsight I will list some of my regrets.

1. I wish I kept my 18inch wheels - Blitz Technospeed Z1
2. I love my 19' HRE Wheels, but I wish I did not go a bit aggressive on the offsets as I can not fit a tire bigger than 295.

I love & hate this mod.

1. My HKS Pasiley carbon fiber lip - i been through two already...and im holding off buying another.. every few years - I crack it thinking i have the proper clearance or I was not angled enough... lol

· Registered
1993 JDM Supra RZ
142 Posts
Depends on how it was done. A lot of people used baseball bats back in the day. If you had a body shop do it, or rented a fender roller and took your time, it's not a big deal.
I had an 06 STI with JDM Spec-C Type RA wheels that were super rare in the states and looked amazing, but I jumped on the concave wheel trend that was sweeping nasioc and sold them for a too-aggressive set of Rotas. Rolled my fenders with a nice rented fender roller but still ended up cracking the paint. I was so upset and mad at myself that I ended up parting the car out and selling it haha. All time worst modification.

Still miss this car :cry:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

· Registered
103 Posts
My only regret is going straight into a full 1500hp capable build the day after i purchased the car, now it been on jack stands for the last 3years...

When i bought my MKIV back in 2019 it ran good except for it had bad hesitation at high RPM and there were oil leaks coming from everywhere. I pulled the motor to reseal everything and then found bearing material in the oil and it wen into a full rebuild.....fast forward three years later and she is still sitting here taking all my spare cash.....

In hindsight i should have just enjoyed the car for awhile before tearing her apart. Because at this point ive only driven my supra like 5 miles since ive owned it. its a cold world.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
My only regret is going straight into a full 1500hp capable build the day after i purchased the car, now it been on jack stands for the last 3years...

When i bought my MKIV back in 2019 it ran good except for it had bad hesitation at high RPM and there were oil leaks coming from everywhere. I pulled the motor to reseal everything and then found bearing material in the oil and it wen into a full rebuild.....fast forward three years later and she is still sitting here taking all my spare cash.....

In hindsight i should have just enjoyed the car for awhile before tearing her apart. Because at this point ive only driven my supra like 5 miles since ive owned it. its a cold world.
This is why I'm struggling on where to go next with modifying. I wouldn't go 1500hp but what I think want to do requires injector upgrade and a standalone ECU and I just want to drive the car and keep it simple ha

· Just a guy who loves cars
94' Turbo, Targa, 6 spd, Ren Red.
793 Posts
This is why I'm struggling on where to go next with modifying. I wouldn't go 1500hp but what I think want to do requires injector upgrade and a standalone ECU and I just want to drive the car and keep it simple ha

I have owned 3 Supras now with varying levels of build, and now that I am back to working on the OG I bought when I was 21 I have realized that I won't do anything that affects reliability or drivability. I stayed stock fuel, stock ECU. This car will never make the big numbers the others did but it still runs and drives like a normal Toyota. I just restore and tweak to make better. One of the best mods I have done was replacing the factory undertrays and building a custom airbox for the car. Nick, good luck with your build!

· (Rare & Unique)
5,008 Posts
Didn't get to fully enjoy the heathy set of twins I had and went full single in short order.

Also, traded my cream puff mint set of plush '93 tan seats for a set of 98's in black that were decently ok. Tan was not ideal back then or maybe now lol

· Registered
103 Posts
If I were to do it again i would just waited and saved a bit more before starting the build and enjoyed and babied the car for maybe a year or however long before it gave out. That would have given me more time to really decide what i wanted to do with the car. For instance back in 2019 the high volume cam driven fuel pumps on the high HP cars were becoming more popular and the benefit of those is you could supply a crap ton of full without the power draw that a triple electric fuel pump set up would have. So i spent quite a bit of money on of of those setups to find later that if you plan drag racing the car in any serious manner you need to add an additional surge tank system up front somewhere because the system runs the risk of pulling a vacuum under very high acceleration and can lean the car out and hurt the motor. I didnt like the idea of a surge tank mounted up front so then i just settled with a in-tank triple pump set up, and now probably by the time the car is running we will have some bad ass in tank brushless fuel pumps available where you wont need three pumps anymore. I think this happens to us un the car community a lot where we have a goal and over time it changes and in doing so we can waste some cash. I would recommend figuring out what you want with the car and don't start the build until you have all the funds available to complete it in a timely matter.

I have owned 3 Supras now with varying levels of build, and now that I am back to working on the OG I bought when I was 21 I have realized that I won't do anything that affects reliability or drivability. I stayed stock fuel, stock ECU. This car will never make the big numbers the others did but it still runs and drives like a normal Toyota. I just restore and tweak to make better. One of the best mods I have done was replacing the factory undertrays and building a custom airbox for the car. Nick, good luck with your build!
The comfort and reliability you get from enjoying a relatively stock car is un matched. My buddy's GF has a Stock NA MKIV she daily drives and i'm low key jealous she gets to enjoy her car while mine is stuck on jack stands.... lol

Thank you!!!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts