Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to waste space with a stupid thread, but I need advice...

I found a 1990 supra turbo (5sp, leather, targa) in my area for sale with 89K miles. I went to look at it and drove it, and I liked it alot (Finally, a sports car with enough room!) Not knowing much about cars I decided to get it checked by a toyota dealership before I made an offer on it. I don't have the results in my hands yet, but I was told over the phone, and this is what they found...

Seals on the rear axle leaking.

Valve cover gasket needs replacing.

Front struts are worn/need replacing soon.

Some exhaust gasket rusted out.

Dome light missing

Broken Radio

The dealership said that they would suggest fixing the Valve cover, and the rear axle thing soon, but otherwise the car is in pretty decent shape. They quoted about 300 for the axle, and 200 for the valve cover.

One last thing, it blew a head gasket a few months ago (surprise surprise...) and it was replace, and the timing belt and water pump were also replaced at that time. The dealership said there was some oil spilled and it could be because it wasn't cleaned up well last time, or it might need another timing belt, but I would guess its fine because it was just replaced.

Anyway, hes asking 5800, so I figured I would offer 4800, so, is this a good deal? Also, I don't know what they mean by "rear axle seals" or "valve cover gasket" Does anyone know what that could be all about?

Thanks.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
200 for a valve cover!!! holy get raped by a dealership batman! yea, do the work yourself man.......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was pretty sure the dealership was trying to rape me, Thanks for verifying my suspicion!

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
Ckanderson said:
200 for a valve cover!!! holy get raped by a dealership batman! yea, do the work yourself man.......
Agreed. BUT ... it really sound like you don't know anything about motors if you are asking " 'rear axle seals' or 'valve cover gasket' Does anyone know what that could be all about?"

Do you have any friends that know anything about motors?

It would be a really easy job to replace the valve gasket.

Rear axle seal is a more dificult/time consuming job though to my recollection. I think that there is a lot of stuff that needs to be removed to get this cheap gasket on ... so the labor/time is where all your money goes. BUT ... if you do your own labor then you don't have to worry about that ... OR ... if you have the money, then you may rather have somebody else spend the time getting dirty, regardless if your know how to do it or not.

See if you can find a friend to help you.

EDIT: Forgot to answer the main question that you had. Yes, it sounds like a decent deal. Go for the 4800 price tag;) . Best regards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehe, your right, I know nothing about motors, thats why I brought it to the dealership in the first place. This is actally my first *real* car, I've just been driving beaters, mainly a mini-van(SUCKS!) till now. My dad has done the valve gasket job on his car before, so I'm sure he'll help me with that.

·
FasterThanASpeedingCivic
671 Posts
I didnt know anything about motors, untill I had A BHG then I learned everything by doing the work my self (had to, no money) its a real easy thing to understand (internal combustion motors). And feel free to ask any of these guys here, they have been a real big help to me!

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
Learn by doing, best motto ever...

I say buy the car, fix it yourself.

the valve cover gaskets are easy, mine were about CDN$20 for both, then another CDN$3 for hex head screwbolts with lockwashers. do a search for cam cover bolt upgrade or something like that, there a good link. its pretty simple to do, buy a TSRM, it tells you step by step what to do.

axle leaking, sorry cant help.

everything else is simple. Upgrade. get performance shocks/springs, a 3" exhaust, new CD player...

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
for 5800 the dealership should be fixing every damn problem on that car..... as the market for MKIII's is right now, you can expect to pay no more than 4500 for one in top shape

·
Boost Creep.
432 Posts
When you replace the valve cover gaskets, do a quick retorque of the head bolts. They'll be right there and accessible, so there's no reason not to...

Good luck. $4800 sounds like a good deal for one with such low mileage.

-B

1 - 10 of 10 Posts