Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is getting an N/A Supra worth it? I mean...it'll be my first car :grenade"

BUT...before you go flaming me saying, "You'll be too inexperienced to be driving such a great car...blah blah blah" I plan to be VERY careful with it, I would never want anything to happen to such an awesome car. And yes, I would have the money for an N/A Supra (I would never thinking about getting a turbo til maybe out of college).

Also, I'd have insurance completely under my parents' names...

So tell me...is an N/A Supra (eventually modded) worth it? Just for the fact that it's a Supra? :D

(And NO...I'm not some ricer fanboy who saw F&F and decided the Supra was cool...I happen to know quite a bit about what cars are out there and what they're capable of, what my options are, etc.)

·
Registered
188 Posts
i second that yes.
only problem with the na supra after driving it for a year. is that it gets abit slow. Thats when you hopefully upgrade to a TT :D and you can show that rexie owner that called you " too slow" what a real car is. But thats just a personal thing i had with this stooge one time. No need to get into that tho. hehe

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies :D

Yeah, but keywords: first car

Which means I'll be 16 (maybe even 15) when I get it. I don't think I'd be getting a TT for quite awhile :p (Well, maybe a single turbo or engine swap down the road...........)

Besides...TT for a first car? Nuh uh...too high of insurance...plus I'd probably end up killing myself...

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
aight, you're 16 and you're getting a car recognized as being very fast and very good looking
look at it from both sides
Bad:
insurance is going to suck for a while, but better than something faster
haters are everywhere, they see a young guy drivin a supra and feel the need to talk shit and/or damage your car, be careful
cops LOVE young males in sports cars (I've been pulled over 8 times in the past 1.5 years; only 1 was a verifiable ticket)
feels fast at first, but after a while you just want more
Good:
women love the car :D
nasty fast for a first car (good and bad)
terrific handling prowess

how are you paying for this car?
personally, I think you should have a total POS as a first car. Mine was a peice of junk. I wanted out of it bad, so I saved up, sold it, pulled a loan, and got me a supra. Having a beater for a first car makes you enjoy the nice cars more.

just my .02 psi

·
Registered
759 Posts
The N/A is a wonderful car to drive and handles beautifully. . .just please PLEASE take it easy during the PA winter. The back end kicks out like nothing else if you give it too much throttle when it's slick out.

Though "Besides...TT for a first car? Nuh uh...too high of insurance...plus I'd probably end up killing myself..." looks like the first signs of responsibility.

And yeah, cops love pulling over guys in flashy cars (yet another reason the wing's coming off!)

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
93anthracite said:
aight, you're 16 and you're getting a car recognized as being very fast and very good looking
look at it from both sides
Bad:
insurance is going to suck for a while, but better than something faster
haters are everywhere, they see a young guy drivin a supra and feel the need to talk shit and/or damage your car, be careful
cops LOVE young males in sports cars (I've been pulled over 8 times in the past 1.5 years; only 1 was a verifiable ticket)
feels fast at first, but after a while you just want more
Good:
women love the car :D
nasty fast for a first car (good and bad)
terrific handling prowess

how are you paying for this car?
personally, I think you should have a total POS as a first car. Mine was a peice of junk. I wanted out of it bad, so I saved up, sold it, pulled a loan, and got me a supra. Having a beater for a first car makes you enjoy the nice cars more.

just my .02 psi
Everything you said is true. Yeah, insurance is going to suck, but more than half will be payed by my parents (probably close to 70% or 75%)...Yes, haters are everywhere and the cops are a problem. I will be sure to have my car well secured (car cover, alarm, lighting on it, etc.) But cops around here don't bother people. Like for example, my friend has a V6 Camaro (laugh all you want, but it's actually pretty fast). He gets pulled over all the time for his tint, exhaust, etc. But anytime he gets stopped, they just warn him and tell him, "Nice car." Cops around here just don't care :p

Yeah, as far as a first car something crappier would make me appreciate it more, but I've been driving a stupid minivan for the longest time now...and though technically it's not mine I've been considering it "my" car as far as driving goes. So I can appreciate a nicer car. As far as acquiring the car and paying for it...I don't plan to pay more than $8500 for it. My uncle used to own a bodyshop and still fixes up cars, and is always looking around for good deals on even perfect condition cars...he'll find me one (I've seen some myself). My parents will be chipping in probably close to $4,000...I'll have about $2,000-$2,500 on hand myself...Maybe a loan?

R

·
0 Posts
I got my Supra when I was about 16. I knew what the car could do and I knew the potential for being ragged on because of it was a nonturbo. Look at this way, I raced a few guys around a local road course and whoop them. After that, I was respected and people saw the car for what it was worth, meaning that it was originally built to take turns and stay up in the RPMs. Be careful in the school parking lot, people will hate as 93 already eluded to. First day I drove my car to school, some idiot put a huge dent in the driver's side wheel well. I was pissed but I knew I had it coming to me. Cops love us teenager's in sports cars. Same thing happened to me as happened to 93.

As for paying for it, my parents pay for mine but anything performance wise that I want to do, I have to pay for. My dad is redoing the interior though, only because he loves the car as much as me. Well that's about all for now.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RabidChild said:
The N/A is a wonderful car to drive and handles beautifully. . .just please PLEASE take it easy during the PA winter. The back end kicks out like nothing else if you give it too much throttle when it's slick out.

Though "Besides...TT for a first car? Nuh uh...too high of insurance...plus I'd probably end up killing myself..." looks like the first signs of responsibility.

And yeah, cops love pulling over guys in flashy cars (yet another reason the wing's coming off!)

Trust me, I'm responsible. I take care of my parents, neighbors, etc. cars like they were one of a kind (even the '95 Caravan :p).

As far as the winters...yeah the PA ones suck. I wouldn't be driving much and if I did it would be VERY cautiously with winter tires and old rims...

And like I said...cops around here are cool about TASTEFUL cars...but the ricers are always getting pulled over :p

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rwsupra.com said:
I got my Supra when I was about 16. I knew what the car could do and I knew the potential for being ragged on because of it was a nonturbo. Look at this way, I raced a few guys around a local road course and whoop them. After that, I was respected and people saw the car for what it was worth, meaning that it was originally built to take turns and stay up in the RPMs. Be careful in the school parking lot, people will hate as 93 already eluded to. First day I drove my car to school, some idiot put a huge dent in the driver's side wheel well. I was pissed but I knew I had it coming to me. Cops love us teenager's in sports cars. Same thing happened to me as happened to 93.

As for paying for it, my parents pay for mine but anything performance wise that I want to do, I have to pay for. My dad is redoing the interior though, only because he loves the car as much as me. Well that's about all for now.

Ryan

Yeah, now that I think about it...about the time I'll be getting my car, my dad wants to get a new SUV and was also considering getting an old 'Vette or 'Stang on the side as a toy, basically. If I got a Supra, he'd probably just invest a little more money into it in exchange for driving it every now and then.

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,284 Posts
where in PA are you from?

RWsupra...im under the same basic deal. my dad payed for 15k of the car( was 18k for it when it had 39000 miles on it)

i paid the difference...and now....he pays for gas...and oilchanges...unless i do it sooner than 3k miles.

sidenot
maintence can be a bitch...tires every 5-8k miles gets annoying REAL fast. at least its only rear tires.:p

·
Registered
166 Posts
im in the same boat as some of you guys when it comes to modifying my car. My parents paid for the car, but i do the rest pms (preventive maintenence schedule), not only for my baby but for the other toyotas and chevy astro (first car, you don't know how many people can fit in a car until carpooling lol). although i pay for my own mods, my dad doesn't approve dammit, oh well what he doesn't know wont hurt him.

blacksurpa93, how do you go through tires every 5-8k miles, do you buy used?

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
yeah, forgot about rear tire wear
I think I average about 2-3 oil changes per set of rear tires. Fronts last for quite some time, but those rears dissapear real quick. You'll have an account with tirerack very soon.....

·
LS WON
1,019 Posts
I got my supra at 15 ( a few days before 16) and knew what the consequences/ fun it would be. Sure ppl will have shit to say about a NA car, but only accept it from them if they are driving a turbo car. Nobody has messed with my car at school and i dont think it will happen. When you get it just be sure not to let the top end on that thing get you carried away and drive safe sonny!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BlackSupra93 said:
where in PA are you from?

RWsupra...im under the same basic deal. my dad payed for 15k of the car( was 18k for it when it had 39000 miles on it)

i paid the difference...and now....he pays for gas...and oilchanges...unless i do it sooner than 3k miles.

sidenot
maintence can be a bitch...tires every 5-8k miles gets annoying REAL fast. at least its only rear tires.:p

Looks like my situation is not uncommon here then :p I'll be turning 15 on Thursday as a matter of fact (Thanksgiving) but plan on getting the car before my 16th...

I plan on getting an earlier year of MKIV...like 93.5 or 94...something like that. What kind of mileage can I expect if I find one for less than $10,000? (preferably around $8,000 or less)

And I will probably not have to pay for maintenance either unless I'm eating up tires or something...lol.

I just want one so bad...and if the insurance (under my parents' names) isn't too bad, the maintenance can be TOLERATED by my parents, and the cost is reasonable (again, around $8,000...give or take a tiny bit)...wow...I will be one happy camper :)

EDIT: I'm from Lewistown, PA...that's in Mifflin County (closest major town I can think of to tell you is State College...which is about 30 min. from me) I'd love to see your Supra sometime :)

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shouldn't be TOO hard, actually. I mean, it'll take some looking...but it's not like it's a TT or anything. My uncle has connections :evil:

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
It's a preety good first car. If you want to buy one for 8g's maybe you should look into an SC300. I hope to see a new n/a owner on the forums soon. Good luck

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nonturbo said:
It's a preety good first car. If you want to buy one for 8g's maybe you should look into an SC300. I hope to see a new n/a owner on the forums soon. Good luck
Nahhh...I considered an SC awhile back. Not gonna happen with me unless it's an SC400 :p

Besides...an SC is no Supra :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts