Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not talking about whether it is worth it or not (it is, believe me) but what I mean is the value of the car within the supra community (or outside as long as the person buying the car knows what the 1jz is). I was just curious to know if someone who has sold their 1jz swap saw more money for the car as opposed to it being a 7MGTE. Also, other considerations would come into play such as a mint exterior, mint interior, suspension and brakes, Y pipe, DP, catback, FMIC, hardpipes, clutch kit, fuel computers. Anyone have a guess on the worth with a car with those mods and that condition:) I am not thinking about selling, just wondering about the possible worth.

Trev

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
Yes.. without saying how much I sold my 1J car for, I can tell you that it brought in about $3000 more than what its going rate with a 7MGTE would have been.. But you have to figure that the swap cost me about $2500 so I only gained $500 by doing it.. But motor swaps and mods to your car should not be seen as an investment.

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
also depending on the amount of work you put into the car you will get even more$$outta the deal, so the key is to find deals on parts for the 1j, then when you're all done sell it for $xx,xxx

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
i was wondering this also.have any of you guys had an appraisal.if anybody stole my car the book is like $3000,but i don't know if some jackass with a pen and piece of paper would value it at.i'm thinking more about insurance,if someone takes my car for a joy ride.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
MattOneDime said:
Yes.. without saying how much I sold my 1J car for, I can tell you that it brought in about $3000 more than what its going rate with a 7MGTE would have been.. But you have to figure that the swap cost me about $2500 so I only gained $500 by doing it.. But motor swaps and mods to your car should not be seen as an investment.

Since I bought his car... I know how much I paid for it.. It also depends on the condition of the car and it's rarity (if the person is willing to pay extra) the car matt sold me is basicaly the exact car I wanted.

White, 91, factory sunroof, with a 5 speed.

It also was lowered and had ST sway bars.

The car was also (and still is :cool: ) in perfect shape. The only things wrong were a slipping clutch and turbo's that smoked. (and a wiring harness that was extended about 18 inches TOO much! (fixed now))

If the car was a 7m with turbo upgrade and mods I would have been willing to pay about 3 k less.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
tsuper92 said:
i was wondering this also.have any of you guys had an appraisal.if anybody stole my car the book is like $3000,but i don't know if some jackass with a pen and piece of paper would value it at.i'm thinking more about insurance,if someone takes my car for a joy ride.
You can get specialty car insurance. This is what I will be getting on my car. You tell the company your car is WORTH 15k (or whatever) and they give you insurance worth that much. if your car is stolen, you get 15k, period.

The problem with this, is they have milage limitations. But if your car isn't your daily driver, then you dont have to worry.

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
ya,i hear where your coming from.i have a daily driver and only use the sup when its nice out.if its too hot out i'll be on my streetbike.i also have a company truck i go back and forth to work.so my daily driver doesn't get many miles put on it either.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
tsuper92 said:

I would think it impossible to get the car acuratly appraised. I mean, I could appraise it, and i'd be close, but im not an appraiser.

IT would be hard to explain to him why a single turbo is worth more then a twin :bigthumb:

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, i spent the first 2 years restoring the car to mint....inside and out from the paint to every leather component inside (with new OEM toyota parts). Add everything listed in my signature, and I think the car should bring 8K-10K from the right person...of course, that is my opinion...maybe find someone with 3 mk4tt's and trade mine with about 8K for one of those:)

But then again....my car is more rare than many mk4's.

Trev

·
Registered
416 Posts
The price has dropped quite a bit in the last year or so. 2 years ago when i did my swap, a running JZA70 would fetch 10-12k easily. Now, a unoriginal (read no signifigant other mods) JZA70 will net you ~4500-8k depending on condition. And selling will be difficult, the buyer has to be looking for one. Bottom line is if you planned to sell the car for any decent amount of money, do not swap the engine, youll never make up your cost if you do the swap right. and it will take longer to sell because the engine swap scares away non-enthusiast buyers.

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
anorexicpoodle said:
The price has dropped quite a bit in the last year or so. 2 years ago when i did my swap, a running JZA70 would fetch 10-12k easily. Now, a unoriginal (read no signifigant other mods) JZA70 will net you ~4500-8k depending on condition. And selling will be difficult, the buyer has to be looking for one. Bottom line is if you planned to sell the car for any decent amount of money, do not swap the engine, youll never make up your cost if you do the swap right. and it will take longer to sell because the engine swap scares away non-enthusiast buyers.
very nice points!

I think i would rather keep mine and get an mk4 in addition.

Trev

1 - 13 of 13 Posts