Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
looking for another Supra
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally hooked up my aem wideband and took car for a couple pulls. at WOT im at around 12 12.5 ish. im bpu running around 18 psi on 93 octane in ttc mode. 3 in dp, 4 in exhaust. hks intake.

is this normal?

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
seems a bit high but what are you tuning with?

·
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol mike. i like your attitude.

im not tuning with anything. stock ecu. it seems im running really rich when i drive but the gauge tells me really lean. what can i buy to tune with. i am trying to avoid anything crazy. i just want reliability. i was thinking s-afc. something along those lines.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Urban Customs said:
lol mike. i like your attitude.

im not tuning with anything. stock ecu. it seems im running really rich when i drive but the gauge tells me really lean. what can i buy to tune with. i am trying to avoid anything crazy. i just want reliability. i was thinking s-afc. something along those lines.

If you are planning on going single eventually, just get an AEM! Dont waste your money on anything else.

·
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i allready drove like 350 miles on high boost before i got a wideband. the car still runs perfect besides an oil leak. i hope my a/f didnt have anything bad to do to my car.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This may be heresay, but I've been told that some of the AEM Gauges come 'off' a couple points from the box. Best thing in my opinion would be to do a couple dyno pulls (relatively cheap @ dyno days and such) and see how your gauge reads compared to the shop's calibrated A/F reading.

G

·
LOL You should buy and install WB first, then run it hard. You are fine tho, that A/F is safe, and it will make GOOD power being on the lean side.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
since its the stock ecu and he has no control of a/f's shouldnt the stock ecu take care of timing and such to keep him safe? i would assume when it gets to a lean area itll pull some of the timing?

·
A zone of danger.
1,175 Posts
Notorious 2JZ said:
You are fine tho, that A/F is safe, and it will make GOOD power being on the lean side.
You should start a poll and lets just see what the whole board thinks of that one.

G

·
Dego Red said:
You should start a poll and lets just see what the whole board thinks of that one.
Well, its common knowledge that everyone on here tunes around 11, but as you go leaner it will make more power. Extreme example I saw on the dyno was T78 car running 16 a/f ratio at 27psi making 725rwhp, it leaned out on clogged fuel filters, and it detonated but not before it hit 16 ratio. Running 12-12.5 is safe, as long as its not in last gear, and sustained for too long.

Any car can take sudden burst of lean condition, its when you keep it sustained that damage happens. Like long highway pulls in 6th gear at top boost.

11 is exteremely conservative, IMHO. But its understandeable after you invest $25,000 into the damn setup :sadance:

·
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i cruised all day and my a/f was 15-17. when i went wot it was 12.5-13.

at idle its 16.5-17.

i drove car 350 miles with this motor i swapped in w/o an a/f gauge. it ran perfect before and still does. its just now that i see these #'s its making me over think.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Either that gauge is wrong or your O2 sensor is bad. My guess is it's the gauge. Idle and cruise should be approximately 14.5 to 15.3. Looks like your numbers are all about 2 points higher than they should be. WOT is probably and usually high 10s stock. Find a way to verify the gauge.

·
Kwan Jul Sul Freak
928 Posts
Greddy Emanage Blue will solve the OBD1 lean spot. It does for my OBD1 no problem. They are usually 20-40 bucks more than an SAFCII too. Thats not to mention the other features it brings with it.

Dego Red said:
Sounds like you're OBDI and cursed with the lean spot like the rest of us. SAFCII alone won't cure it, but an OBDII/SAFCII combo will. It did for me...

:EDIT: Some reading material :)
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283063

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
Hey Urban-

Nice to see you got the gage hooked up and working now. It's totally possible that your setup isn't very acurate (as others have mentioned). I've had three AEM UEGO setups and all have been spot on compared with my emissions analyzers at work.

When I logged wide band data on my car (stock OBD I ECU) I saw 14.7 almost everywhere (which is what you'd expect in closed loop) and when under high load/boost I saw 11:1 and even a 10:1 occasionally. But if your gage says it's idling at 15.5:1 either the UEGO is off, or your two O2 sensors in the car are off (less likely, but possible). You should be able to stop in at any emissions place and have them tell you your air fuel ratio at idle. Compare that with what your gage is saying at the time to figure out the offset. If it's really far off you may call AEM and see if they'll send you a different one. But even if you're running at 12.5:1....at the boost levels you're talking with stock twins you should not have any trouble.

·
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well you guys are going to yell at me because i forgot to mention this. since im using my friends downpipe he allready had his o2 sensor in there so i just plugged my gauge into his old 02 sensor which has seen plenty of leaded gas. i was certain it was abused but i was too lazy to put my new 02 sensor in. i will do that asap and see the a/f readings than. maybe that is my issue

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
Urban Customs said:
well you guys are going to yell at me because i forgot to mention this. since im using my friends downpipe he allready had his o2 sensor in there so i just plugged my gauge into his old 02 sensor which has seen plenty of leaded gas. i was certain it was abused but i was too lazy to put my new 02 sensor in. i will do that asap and see the a/f readings than. maybe that is my issue
hahaha why would u trust my old o2 sensor... that thing saw over 100 gallons of c16

1 - 20 of 21 Posts