Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
That quiet guy
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I found a 86.5 MKIII: NA Auto. Its got a blown headgasket (the guy thinks) and right now, the motor wont kick on. Its white, great condition, and the guy is asking 1200 for it. We're getting a friend, who's a head mechanic at a dealership shop, to go look at it. Would it be worth it to buy it and do the work?

Edit: sorry for the lack of detail. No rust, California car, tinted windows, aftermarket rims, CD deck, seats arent in too great condition, stock speakers, new alternator, rebuilt transmission, few minor blemishes, and the plastic strip that goes around right above the rear bumper, where it says supra, is broken. Gas cap door is missing and the car is kind of dirty on the outside other than that, thats it.

·
Offical MkIII Pushman
1,797 Posts
if body has no damage / int looks good, only minor damage i'd droped 1200 on it, but it's an auto so i wouldnt drop anything on it :/

·
That quiet guy
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was my main concern with it, being an auto. But I was gonna try to convert it to 5sp sometime after I got it, if I did. After my friend takes a look at it, I'll decide to get it or not but just wanted to see what some owners thought. Its either MKIII or Sunfire :faint:

·
Offical MkIII Pushman
1,797 Posts
if u want the manual, dont get an auto, it's just a big pain and not worth it.

illmatic357 said:
i paid 300 bucks for my car
so did i :dunno:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sounds like this car has too little going for it.

Several years ago, I picked up a white 86.5 N/A Auto for $1,800. Like yours, it had a blown headgasket. Unlike yours, it started right up, had no dents, shiny paint and a perfect interior. Everything else on the car was the way it should be except for the power antennae. The car had 81,000 miles and I was able to speak to both the original and second owners.

I fixed the head gasket, replaced the rotors and struts and before long had to get some tires. So for a total initial investment of about $3,200, I had a pretty sweet car that needed nothing. Two years and 40,000 miles later I sold the car for $3,350.

·
Powerful Jedi.....
474 Posts
I picked up an 87 na with 76k miles, super clean, rod knock for $400.

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
I got my 88 N/A for 2k with a bhg and a one layer paint job 179,000, I've probably put about 5k into my car since, I was totally ripped off, Unfortunately my mom knows nothing about cars and didn't take me with her to inspect it because she knew I wanted a supra and bought it for my birthday... With all the shit that was wrong with it it was probably only worth about $500

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
i paid 1500 for an 89 turbo auto, don't buy it. or get it for 500$ or less.

·
Banned
601 Posts
man keep looking fuck that car sounds like a shit trap. look on craigslist rbay auto trader and other sites or look in f/s for a supra also use a carfax dont spend 1200 for a headache or u will send another 2500 just for repairs . so far i spend almost 2k for a gte dp ebc etc but u have a lot to deal with so u better double check everything 1 more time and make ur final decision

·
That quiet guy
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well see the problem is this is the closest ive found a MKIII to me. The next closest is 2 1/2 hours away and no one is gonna go with me to get it. So, I'm kind of in a dilemma. Im gonna ask the guy to go to $800. Oh yeah all the electronics work so those are stable at least and my friends have a garage I can use to replace the BHG and anything else I would need to. So unless someone is within an hour or 2 and willing to sell for 2k, I can't really do much.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
clue2025 said:
Well see the problem is this is the closest ive found a MKIII to me. The next closest is 2 1/2 hours away and no one is gonna go with me to get it. So, I'm kind of in a dilemma. Im gonna ask the guy to go to $800. Oh yeah all the electronics work so those are stable at least and my friends have a garage I can use to replace the BHG and anything else I would need to. So unless someone is within an hour or 2 and willing to sell for 2k, I can't really do much.
damn dude be patient, i drove 5 hours to get my supra, drove it home with no problems didn't spend that much on repairs either. Newark NJ to Boston MA and back.

Be patient!

·
Graphic Designer
217 Posts
$200 for 87' 5spd turbo with BHG, dents in the fenders and good interior

·
That quiet guy
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright thanks guys. I just said forget it cause it sounds worse and worse as the time goes by. I'm gonna keep lookin though. I've driven an N/A 5sp but at the time we were hard up for money so I didn't have the funds. Needless to say I loved it so I'll look for another hopefully turbo... time to hit up the For Sale/Wanted forum!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Good choice!

just think about it this way. when you do find that supra in decent to good condition. Enstead of spending money on maintenance you can start modding and building that beast!!!

blackgamer16

1 - 19 of 19 Posts