Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering... cause i was looking around into buying a k&n intake (cone) but read somewhre that modified intake is a bit better as it also acts as a heat shield?

can any1 conferm...

heres my modified intake... it has a fram filter now but when i get a chance ill get the k&n filter..(you cant see it that good but it had a little mesh lol...

what you guys think?

·
Registered
945 Posts
aftermarket is almost always better. Why not get an Apexi Power Intake? Better filtration than HK$ super dirt flow, K&N and a cpl others, plus highest flow rate as well. Then build yourself a heatshield out of aluminum. better flow AND shielded.

Daniel

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
the stock air filter is like paper it sucks...get a drop in k&n or a aftermarket cone filter if you want something that flows more.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Ive been running mine like that since I got the idea to do it off here like a year ago. There has always been debate on whether its better then gettin an aftermarket filter or not though. I personally would rather do that and get the same performance then pay 100+ for the filter and the kit to install it. Only draw back is that you cant run intercooler pipes through the snorkel hose because its in the way. Thats the only reason I would consider gettin another filter :D

B

·
0 Posts
The stock air filter mods are a joke.

Move up to a real material that provides better flow and adaquate filtration. The K&N will pay for itself overtime, it is washable and resuable. It is made of a cotton guase that you coat with a light weight oil. This oiled cotton mesh is what provides the filtering ability. Small particles cling to the dampened material so they can get way with a lesser density material that allowing greater airflow while still maintaining adaquate filtration rates.

I have not used any of the competator products, I have had great luck with K&N and will continue my brand loyalty. I have too seen tests where K&N was beat out by other brands in various areas, I would guess there would be some give an take with everything though, but bottom line, the stock material filter is simply outdated.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
I'd strongly recommend the Apexi for a couple of reasons.

1. K&N was the reason that I went through 3 AFM's in 2 years. They over oiled mine from the factory and the oil got onto the AFM and killed them. I'd never go back after taht. Once I went to a speed density setup, then I went back to the K&N.

2. K&N requires oil. Meaning that's one more thing to purchase.

3. You pay 220-250 for the K&N, the Apexi is almost half that cost.

4. Apexi will last just as long if not longer. For cleaning, you just get out some soapy water, scrub it a little, rinse it off. Let it dry and go for another 10k miles or until you want to do it again.

·
Moderator, Aight Peace
6,130 Posts
:agreed: and why do you have mesh on it for?? The filter is still there that theres no point in having the mesh... aight peace :chicken:

·
FTG & the IRL!
186 Posts
When researching which intake I'd go with, I called Apexi and asked their technical support about cleaning their filter. Apexi told me not to clean the filter because the material it was made of is NOT meant to be washed with any type of soap, cleaner, or water. They told me their filter is not designed to be serviceable and must be replaced. This is why Apexi doesn’t sell any type of ‘recharge’ or cleaning kit for their system like K&N. The cheapest I’ve seen the replacement Apexi filter only is $70, so even after one filter replacement with the Apexi intake, you are right at $200 if you figure an initial intake cost of $120 + shipping. I’ve been using a K&N system in my Tacoma since ’96 with no issues(knock on wood) to this point and serviced the filter multiple times. I’ve found that the recharge kit with the aerosol spray can oil is much easier to apply without risk of over oiling. I guess my point is the K&N system has worked for me on my Tacoma and now on my Supra with an overall lower cost than the Apexi intake, going on Apexi’s recommendation of not servicing the filter. The performance difference between the two is insignificant based on the tests I’ve seen to offset the cost difference as well. The K&N recharge kits are around $15 at O’Reilly Auto parts and I’m still using the original recharge kit I bought back in ’98. I got a recharge kit thrown in for free when I purchased the K&N intake($161) just over a week ago . . .

Trent said:
I'd strongly recommend the Apexi for a couple of reasons.

1. K&N was the reason that I went through 3 AFM's in 2 years. They over oiled mine from the factory and the oil got onto the AFM and killed them. I'd never go back after taht. Once I went to a speed density setup, then I went back to the K&N.

2. K&N requires oil. Meaning that's one more thing to purchase.

3. You pay 220-250 for the K&N, the Apexi is almost half that cost.

4. Apexi will last just as long if not longer. For cleaning, you just get out some soapy water, scrub it a little, rinse it off. Let it dry and go for another 10k miles or until you want to do it again.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Apexi USA is a joke. They don't know their elbows from their ass. They have horrible HORRIBLE support and half the people know less about the products than a 5 year old kid. Hell go look up how many authorized retailers in the US there are for Apexi. The list gets shorter by the day because they are so hard to deal with and get anything out of. I wouldn't trust anything they say further than I can throw one of their stupid so called "techs"

I cleaned mine several times over the course of the 2 years I had it. Never had a problem and it worked great.

B

·
0 Posts
Trent

Interesting points... I run a MAP system on the car with the Tec2 so that would one reason why I never expeienced similar issues. I always ran a very light coating of oil on my filter, I have seen many friends just drench the air filter. On my set up the filter was so easy to access (1 minutes off and on) that cleaning and oiling often was just part of my supra love ritual.

Side note: Wow... at least we are actually having some productive usefull discussion around here lately.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
I'd be the first to admit if I was the one that overoiled them. I really wish they wouldn't oil them at the factory. Hell that would save them millions in oil and labor a year. Or save electricity on the machines that do it for them.

I know they have this wonderful reputation and I don't argue the fact that they are good at what they do. Unfortunately the MK3 AFM's are insanely picky. They break when you look at em wrong. Just in my personal experience, I had no trouble with Apexi. All filters that have been mentioned are good, but we all have one we trust more than another.

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i know that stock filter is a joke.. im curently fixing mysupra soi do not have the time yet to go to kragen... but on my next trip there ill pic up a k&n for the stock air box...

what im asking is what other people has answered is the use of stock air box better than after market?

right now sounds like out of all the intake apex would be best... which ive found out a while back(due to there best filtration... also found out back then than hksmakes a CRAPPY filer lol)

anyways i didnt wanna pay 100 somehing dollars when i can just hack saw my tock box and drop in a 50 k&n filter...

and any1 else has wash there apex filter?

cause if its washable as people say i migh just go get a cone since im thinking of using the snorcle place for IC but haven decided yet... imight use it for cold air...

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
leave your modded airbox and get a K&N insert.. done

$40 and performs just as well.. use the hundred bucks or more you saved and buy something more worthwhile.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Green Filter, high performance race filters. HUGE in Europe, the choice of all the racers just started here. They filter more particles, flow more air, make more power, get better gas milage then any other filter on the market. They are also washable, reusable and have a lifetime warrenty. How can you beat that? Don't belive me? Given I might be a little partial but its facts and nothing more. Buy a filter from me, if you dont like it ill buy it back. I'm a distributor for several products but only one filter for a reason.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts