Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would the front suspension physically fit without using the "spring bumper/bumpstop"?

My front driver's side is lower than my front passenger's side by like a whole inch. I've yet to determine the problem. I've recently installed Koni/Eibach setup.

Anyways, I was wondering if the front shock/spring will even install together and go on the car without using the "spring bumper" aka bumpstop?

Cause I think if it can, then my driver's side might be missing it. That would explain why it's lower than my passenger's side.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
you only hit the spring bumper under extreme load...

i have tein flex and i had to install the stock bumper b/c the tein one would let the tires rub the fender. install the stock one and it works. (technically, you should shave it until it starts rubbing again... you want maximum travel in your suspension)

·
DitchByTheSideOfTheRoad
485 Posts
You must install the bumpstop. Don't even think of not. Trust me I know from experience and you do not want your wheel hitting your fender/liner/ anything when traveling at over 100 mph :) Loss of control will result.

That said, the springs do not rest on the bumpstop. It actually sits in the middle of the springs and it is only the shock itself will "bump" it when the spring is compressed; keeping the spring from compressing farther so that wheel may continue to rotate freely without hitting the fenderliner/fender/bolts/ect.

Cutting the bumpstop until it starts "rubbing" is not that good of an idea, as then you would have to buy new ones to cut just a bit less so that the tire would never rub.

There was some discussion about this on the old mkiv mailing list, and I am pretty sure the general consensus was to leave them uncut(at least from those members that I respected).

Now the insulator boot the spring does sit on. I bet that could give a quarter of an inch if you took that off, but I wouldn''t recommend that as that probably helps keep the spring in place.

Just FYI the general consensus was that the eibach pro's are too soft for road racing and will result in rubbing(with cut bumpstops) or ridding on the bumpstops (with uncut springs) both of which are bad for performance driving. You can reduce this tendancy some by installing thicker sway bars such as stillen or trd. I personally had the Stillen's and loved them. They make the car roll less going around turns and help keep you off the bumpstops. They are only a couple hundred bucks and are relatively easy to install.

I know alot of people's supras dont sit even, you can try to check the springs and make sure they are seated correctly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts