Votes: 2 15.4%
  • id try it...but im not really sure

Votes: 1 7.7%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok guys....ive gotten some mixed responses on this....and i value everyones opinion on here very highly...so im just gonna post a poll and see what i get....heres the deal....

im takin the supra to the track for the first time friday.....its a pretty big event.....and the problem im having is im hitting boost cut right around 100mph...give or take...which is no doubt goin to be right toward the end of my quarter mile run........some people have said to pull the plug out of the accordian hose and let some air past and ill be fine...others say dont do it......so what do you think? i only need it for a couple passes and id plug it back up....you think it would be safe for a few runs down the track? and i dynoed last weekend and am running very rich like most.....i believe it was around 11-11.5...thanks for all your input

here is my fuel curve

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
no, as i told you in this thread -> http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431802

not really minus drilling out the adjustment screw on the bottom of the afm and backing it out some, getting an FCD, or just pulling off one of the hoses on the accordian hose (dont do any of those things as its letting in unmetered air) just be patient and wait for the lex/550s to come in and do it right.
dont do it.

/thread

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
no

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I would never uncap the accordian hoses, I ran around with the 2 clamps loose (forgot to tighten them) and I got HORRIBLE gas milage (I.E. MORE RICH)

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
yeah i know......and im not saying your not completely correct......i just had some other people tell me otherwise....and there is so many people on here that know sooo much about supras its hard to sort it all out sometimes......thanks for the input
ok here ill explain to you why its a bad idea.

1. uncapping hoses is just letting unmetered air into the engine. this will lean you out as the ecu will think there is less air than is really passing in. you have no way of controlling how much air or having any idea (dont say you know until i see some math for flow slick)
2. lets say you choose to disconnect your bov cuz you want a nice cool PshhhhhH sound. cool but then you have a vaccum leak (leaks under idle and more than likely yours is shot already) again unmetered air but this time its also venting it randomly so you have a boost and vaccum leak! congrats! rich and lean at the same time!
3. breather from the valve covers. another great idea. not only are you taking vaccum away from the valve covers and disabling your PCV system your also trying to draw air in there and venting oil vapor in the engine bay. great idea.
4. removing the PS hose on the bottom. its so small its not going to make a difference.

Hopefully this explains things better for you on why this is a bad idea.

PLUS YOU HAVE THE FREAKING LEXUS AFM AND 550S ON THE WAY. GET SOME PATIENCE!:nono:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Countdown to "My 7M blew up and I'm going 1JZ" thread in

haha no thread would be more like i blew up my 7M and now im broke so im stuck driving my mazda for the rest of the summer.......point taken.....ill just wait until i get the 550's and afm........and thanks for the explanation MKIIINA.......

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
If you remove one of the hoses on the accordian tube, you'll likely not be able ot idle the car. Good luck getting up to the line like that.

Just run the car, and see what happens. With ALL hoses attached.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,097 Posts
Justin dyno'd his car with one of those open (ON HIS CAR) which was stock minus the exhaust and BOV.

Didn't lean out terribly.

I wouldn't do it if I were you.
If you're getting FCO, then you need to back down the boost until you've installed a fuel pump, 550's and the lex.

So I'll vote not to do it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Justin dyno'd his car with one of those open (ON HIS CAR) which was stock minus the exhaust and BOV.

Didn't lean out terribly.

I wouldn't do it if I were you.
If you're getting FCO, then you need to back down the boost until you've installed a fuel pump, 550's and the lex.

So I'll vote not to do it.
yeah if i had a boost controller that would be the easy solution....but i have no boost controller or boost gauge until then end of the month....just the bolt on stuff listed in my sig...i didnt really expect it to put me that close to fuel cut or i would have got the boost controller and gauge sooner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts