Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Glad to be back
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm hunting down my cabin smell. I sprayed some Lysol under the wipers and it helped alot. I'm not to familiar with the whole charcole canister set up and I was wondering if the smell would have anything to do with this, done by one of the previous owners:

· This aggression will not stand, man.
5,304 Posts
If the cabin smells like gasoline, I'd say yes. I'd try the A/C vents.

· Glad to be back
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea it does smell like gas/exhaust smell.

( btw my name is patrick and I to have a 94 TT...lol)

5,304 Posts
Haha nice to meet another Patrick94TT!! Your last name isn't Blake, is it? Then I'd be like o_0 WTF!!!

If the cabin has a gas/exhaust smell, I would say that disconnected hose is the culprit. I removed my charcoal canister and replaced it within a few days. The gas smell was almost overwhelming. And I thought catless was bad... HA!

Do you know where that hose is supposed to connect to? If not, I can take a picture of my engine bay and send it to you.

· Glad to be back
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha no, not blake. Any suggestions to what I could do about this? Do you know where that line is supposed to go?

· Registered
2,632 Posts
You could either re connect the canister or remove it and vent the line through the hole underneath where the canister is mounted. I did this and have absolutely 0 gasoline smell.

5,304 Posts
Haha no, not blake. Any suggestions to what I could do about this? Do you know where that line is supposed to go?

I would say connect it back up! I'll take a pic for you, it's hard to explain where it goes.

· Glad to be back
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could either re connect the canister or remove it and vent the line through the hole underneath where the canister is mounted. I did this and have absolutely 0 gasoline smell.
Awsome thank you. Where would I reconnect it back to?

I would say connect it back up! I'll take a pic for you, it's hard to explain where it goes.
That would be absolutey great. I wonder why it would be disconnected in the first place? I can't see there being any performance benefit?

· Registered
4,623 Posts
The gas smell without the canister is completely avoidable.

At the rear fuel pump hanger remove the line from the vent in the hanger, run a new line down the side of the tank on the passenger side. Under the car zip tie the line off and trim it flush with the side of the tank.

Poof.. no more cabin gas smell.

Now..

for old musty, moldy smells... 99% of the time it is the carpet.

start by removing the seats, clean them and treat the leather, then with the seats removed remove the carpet at clean the shit out of it. old musty smells is very common when people shampoo the supra carpets in the car. The padding gets wet and will never dry if the carpet is left in the car. It will mildew and mold.

I used some carpet anti-mold on mine then let it dry completely before I put it back in the car.

You could also remove the blower and de-dust it, and clean out the air venting. I was shocked at all the dust build up in mine.. It was nasty..

· Registered
2,632 Posts
I remove mine just for weight and to clean up the engine bay. The canister and all the piping weighs a ton. When I took mine out i just ran a piece of tubing from the pipe that would normally feed into the canister out into the fender well. As far as reconnecting it there's a really helpful thread with lots of pictures floating around on how to remove it and if you followed the directions in reverse, well you get the picture.

5,304 Posts
Shit, looks like I should have just vented the hose and kept the charcoal canister out!

· Glad to be back
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys alot of good information. I'll probably just run the line under the car until I can figure out where its supposed to go. I had the carpets professionally cleaned and did the lysol through the vents. Big difference. Now i'll re-route this line and see how it turns out.

· Glad to be back
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My EGR has been deleted so I'm guessing that is why the canister has been set up like this.

· Glad to be back
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Usualy that is taken off if you are running single but, since your on stock twins i would connect it back up.
After looking at the diagram, It looks like I can't hook it back up because my EGR has been deleted.

· Glad to be back
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wonder if this smell that I'm trying to track down could be from not having a cat?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.