Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am not sure where this thread should be, but I'll start it off in this section and let a moderator move it to the appropriate section if needed.

I have access to quite a few of these filters and wanted to gauge any interest (if any) to those that prefer this filter over anything else available in the market place today.

Links to the filters in question:

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/parts/toyota_filter/index.html

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/parts/toyota_filter/mobil1/index.html

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/parts/toyota_filter/trd_filters/index.html

This is a discussion to gauge interest in a specific filter and not to criticize others for paying market price for a hard to find/desirable item.

Thanks for you interest,
Chris

*****FILTERS ARRIVED********PM FOR DETAILS*******************

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
Thats the old part# for the V8 Oil filters. Theres a new part# and the price is about $4 each from Curt.
90915-YZZD3 - V8 oil filters - COST $3.96

So why would you pay more then 3 times for the same filter thats assemble in japan verses u.s.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Blk96SupraTT said:
Thats the old part# for the V8 Oil filters. Theres a new part# and the price is about $4 each from Curt.
90915-YZZD3 - V8 oil filters - COST $3.96

So why would you pay more then 3 times for the same filter thats assemble in japan verses u.s.

Let me clarify things.

1. The 90915-20004 filter is still being made and/or available. The newly released FJ cruiser has the 90915-20004 oil filter installed from the factory.

2. I know someone over in the Land of the Rising Sun who has access to the above mentioned filters.

3. You have to think outside the box for a moment...just b/c a part is not available in the United States does not mean it's not available else where in the world - remember we are apart of a global market.

4. This is not a discussion on price, but the availibity of a filter that has been proven to have better filtering material then any of its counter parts in the market place. This is a great solution for those that demand the very best for their vehicle.

Hope that explanation helped :D

·
Premium Member
46,548 Posts
There is NO inventory of the 90915-20004 oil filters at ANY of the USA warehouses.

ANY dealer here in the USA that orders the 90915-20004 part number will be shipped the 90915-YZZD3 oil filters.

You possibly can find a dealer / broker in JAPAN that can ship these to you.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Curt Aigner said:
There is NO inventory of the 90915-20004 oil filters at ANY of the USA warehouses.

ANY dealer here in the USA that orders the 90915-20004 part number will be shipped the 90915-YZZD3 oil filters.

You possibly can find a dealer / broker in JAPAN that can ship these to you.
2. I know someone over in the Land of the Rising Sun who has access to the above mentioned filters.

·
Premium Member
46,548 Posts
Twinkie2000 said:
Have you inquired on the shipping fees?

TYPICAL SHIPPING EXAMPLES:
FWIW 1 case = 8lbs
UPS EXPRESS 8LBS = 140.00
UPS EXPIDITED 8LBS = 135.00
USPS GLOBAL EXPRESS MAIL 8LBS=50.00
USPS AIR MAIL 8LBS = 45.00
USPS ECONOMY 8LBS = 30.00

·
Super Moderator
10,744 Posts
Chris,

I'm interested in a case.

Ken.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Curt Aigner said:
Have you inquired on the shipping fees?

TYPICAL SHIPPING EXAMPLES:
FWIW 1 case = 8lbs
UPS EXPRESS 8LBS = 140.00
UPS EXPIDITED 8LBS = 135.00
USPS GLOBAL EXPRESS MAIL 8LBS=50.00
USPS AIR MAIL 8LBS = 45.00
USPS ECONOMY 8LBS = 30.00
I am fully aware of all the cost associated with having these filters shipped over. Not to knock anyone on the forums, but those that know me can vouch for my attention to detail. I am very committed and passionate about bringing these filters back to the U.S. market and appreciate all the the support thus far.

I am not doing this for financial growth, but as a favor to the members of this forum:)

I will keep this thread updated and post pictures when available.

Take care,
Chris

·
Fan of Stock Twins
249 Posts
Does anybody know the exact differences between the 90915-20004 and the 90915-YZZD3?

·
irie
168 Posts
Twinkie2000 said:
Let me clarify things.

1. The 90915-20004 filter is still being made and/or available. The newly released FJ cruiser has the 90915-20004 oil filter installed from the factory.

3. You have to think outside the box for a moment...just b/c a part is not available in the United States does not mean it's not available else where in the world - remember we are apart of a global market.

4. This is not a discussion on price, but the availibity of a filter that has been proven to have better filtering material then any of its counter parts in the market place. This is a great solution for those that demand the very best for their vehicle.

Hope that explanation helped :D

wow i guess i lucked out , before i moved from tenn. i bought a 2 cases of 90915-2004 and one is still unopened. I didnt know they were that scarce, plus i bought them in the end 0f 2002. I was deployed from 2002 -2004 with 5 month break in between. So i really havnt driven the cars much. But if you can source them from outside then thats a good hookup your doing to the rest of the crowd. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
Twinkie2000 said:
The superior filtering material is the most notable.
Yes, the 20004 filter uses a superior filtering media. NO, if you change your oil and filter every 3000 miles as you should, your car will NOT know the difference.

The extra cost associated with the 20004 filters (especially if they have to be imported) is not worth any extra protection. The TRD filters currently available are a good alternative. Hell, even the stock Toyota 2JZ filter or the new V8 filter will work well.

FWIW, any filter that uses a gauze-type filter media and an anti-drain valve will be more than suficient for the highest-HP engine.

I recommend Baldwin filters, which I buy from my local tractor supply store---you heard me. :eek:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I agree. People sometimes act as if engines generate a bunch of rocks and pebbles that need filtering out of the oil. :bigthumb: I'd be much more interested in a filter that will FLOW good volumes of oil and do a reasonable job of filtering out particulates than in a filter that is claimed to hold 12 pounds of dirt. When I hear of filters that are claimed to remove some high % of particulates on a single pass, I can't help wondering how restrictive those filters are. I suspect in a high RPM, high power application, flow is more important than acheiving the absolute maximium filtration possible. (For the record, I am NOT saying that the 20004 filters are not good filters.)

FYRARMS said:
Yes, the 20004 filter uses a superior filtering media. NO, if you change your oil and filter every 3000 miles as you should, your car will NOT know the difference.

The extra cost associated with the 20004 filters (especially if they have to be imported) is not worth any extra protection. The TRD filters currently available are a good alternative. Hell, even the stock Toyota 2JZ filter or the new V8 filter will work well.

FWIW, any filter that uses a gauze-type filter media and an anti-drain valve will be more than suficient for the highest-HP engine.

I recommend Baldwin filters, which I buy from my local tractor supply store---you heard me. :eek:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts