Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Suppose you were selling your supra. Would you let someone test drive it? Or would you let them get in the passenger seat and just 'show' them that the car is OK by driving it yourself?

I'm not selling my car but I was surprised that the person I bought it from had no problem with me getting behind the wheel. And this was a 47k 6-spd quicksilver, an unknown town to drive in for me, and a buyer he had never met before. I really appreciate it as it gave me a chance to check out the car, but I had expected to be politely refused. I would certainly not let someone drive the car if I had been in his shoes.

What would you do? If you wouldn't let them drive personally, what would you do if they say 'then I'm not buying the car'?

On a side note, would you buy a car that you weren't allowed to test drive, based on what your saw/heard/noticed during the owner driving the car with you in the pass. seat?

·
Registered
644 Posts
What is the PROBLEM letting the buyers drive the car > they have to drive it them self to see how it feels ...

When i bought me car > the owner first drove and showed me some action , i was scared ... then he stopped and told me to drive the car and i did not ask him to drive it > i drove it and he put the boost up to 1.9 bar when i was driving ...

the car was 52K miles ...

what is the problem with you > they must drive it ...

AND i will never buy a used car with out Driving it and i might do some Driftings and Burnouts lol ...

Regards,

·
Invert.
257 Posts
both times I test drove a car, I just swapped them keys. They had no problem with me driving it, no problem with me and my dad driving it with out him at all. Mk3 though, so thats under 5k. I have no idea about a more expensive car. I think I'd be fine with it, depending on how shifty the person is.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Be sure you see the money and serious intent first. I'm not handing my keys over to just anyone,

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, letting someone drive the car is one thing, but letting them drive without you? I'd be in that car with them!

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
The previous owner of my car preferred to drive first, being it had just rained out. He said "I'll get ON it, since I know the car better, then you can drive it and just relax on the throttle"

This was after a lot of talk about the whole car (so he got to gauge whether or not I was a complete idiot first)...

·
its a slow auto...
3,362 Posts
its very simple, if you want to drive my car yourself then bring atleast half the cash and it will be in my pocket while you drive the car with me in the passenger seat, if you decide not to purchase it you can have your cash back...i had this problem when i was getting rid of my bikes.. unless i had the full amount in my hand , i didnt let anyone test ride them..

to let someone test drive your car is borderline stupid if you dont have half or the full sale amount in your hand while they drive it...my insurance isnt gonna give me enough money if you wreck my car... and then i have to deal with all the insurance bullshit..no thanks..

jay

·
Invert.
257 Posts
very true about insurance jay. On a modded car, you usually won't get the full amount. The guy mostly let me drive the car alone becuase I was taking it to get smogged and checked out.

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
Most potential buyers will rightfully expect to drive the car.
I certainly did, and would ride with someone IF I felt they were a serious prospect to buy anything I was selling.
Part of that would depend on if they had insurance.

·
Has a slow car
1,321 Posts
I bought my car without driving it, but I rode in it with the seller!
I woulld make sure they are serious with most of the money in hand before I would even think about letting someone drive my car! You always have to worry about the local, kids saying.... "I will talk to my parents and see what they say but do you care if I drive it to see if I like it anyway" Those are the ones I like, I had this one kid ask me what I wanted for my car, which I just bought it and I was redoing everything on it so it looked horrible(primered spots, no bumper)
and I told him I would take 27 for it, and he was like "let me drive it and see if I like it" which I said no, I cant do that ! Well later on that day he was telling everyone that he was gonna buy it for $2700, but he was gonna talk me down to 2600...lol! He might want to add another "0" in there!

·
Supra TT Senior
1,886 Posts
I let the drive if I think they are serious enough and they have a deposit on the car.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it's nice if you have a deposit or proof that they're a serious seller, but it still doesn't change the fact that they may damage or total your car. That deposit won't do much then...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
when i went to buy my mr2...the guy let me and my dad take it out, in fact he did it really passively. Though I noticed that he pretty much left it with almost no gas so that we wouldn't get too far...

but I have to warn you that the entire transaction was pretty shady, and also that the car was only 1500 dollars, so these rules might not apply to a supra.

·
600 Posts
back when Cobra Kai was selling his car (97 BPU), i went with my dad to see it and he kindly let me drive it with my dad squeezed into the back seat. he also let me raise the boost to 18psi and said i could floor it if i wanted, but i was a little timid about driving it aggressively...but i ended up not buying it.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I test drove quite a few Supras and I was 16 at the time. No one had any objections. I know if I would ever sell mine, I would only feel comfortable letting someone drive it in an area where crashing is unlikely such as an empty parking lot or something. When I test drove my Supra, the guy let me drive it right away and then we switched and he did a few things to show off the car a little more which was nice.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Seller took me for a ride at first, showed me what the car would do so I would know what to expect, then let me drive it, and I drove it just as hard as he did. I was sold on the test ride though, the test drive was just to confirm things.

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
Well, this is pretty much the same thing as letting a shop drive your car, isn't it? I got to see someone take my car off for a test drive just yesterday and it's a pretty helpless feeling (and yet another reason I like to do all my own work when possible).

For any test drive with the Supra, as long as I was with them I wouldn't have that much of a problem with it since I could not only supervise but coach them if they had problems/questions. I usually ask people what experience they have with high powered sports cars though, and if the answer is "I used to drive a pretty fast Civic" then I'd be fairly worried about what might happen! :lol:

·
Invert.
257 Posts
Ftr_10 said:
I bought my car without driving it, but I rode in it with the seller!
I woulld make sure they are serious with most of the money in hand before I would even think about letting someone drive my car! You always have to worry about the local, kids saying.... "I will talk to my parents and see what they say but do you care if I drive it to see if I like it anyway" Those are the ones I like, I had this one kid ask me what I wanted for my car, which I just bought it and I was redoing everything on it so it looked horrible(primered spots, no bumper)
and I told him I would take 27 for it, and he was like "let me drive it and see if I like it" which I said no, I cant do that ! Well later on that day he was telling everyone that he was gonna buy it for $2700, but he was gonna talk me down to 2600...lol! He might want to add another "0" in there!
thats crazy. if he had any idea of what that car was he'd understand. I did that once before, checkin a camaro on the side of the road. I thought (based on the outside) it was a beater my friend and I could work up a bit. The owner came out and said it was 7 thousand. I thought he was stupid until he popped the hood. Totally mint, new engine.
If I was sellin, I'd go balls to the wall to show them what it could do, but tell them to back off when they drive it. They'd have to be insured with me in the car.

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
I would if they were serious and I had a deposit............however I'd make them sign something first saying if they crashed it they had to buy it

1 - 20 of 35 Posts