Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking..im about to get a salvage supra..and should i pay less..would you? i mean if it is in good condition..

·
Registered
165 Posts
There are some real nice looking cars with a salvaged or rebuit titles but I personally would not buy one. If you do they are alot less in value. Definitely do your reseach if you plan on buying one with a salvaged title, you'll find that they could be up to $7000 less compared with their clean title counterparts. So don't pay too much. Be patient and save up, because if you are wondering now, how much more will you be wondering after you spend the buku bucks? If you can't wait and are ok with it, buy it. Just my .02 cents.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
Yes for sure. Anything that has been in a wreck is not as good as something that hasn't been in one. Plain and simple.

·
Isabel & Bryan
673 Posts
i have to disagree with these posts

to some extent, they are never 100% ORIGINAL!!!
but they can be fixed by the right person(shop) to be the same as it was, thats why they sell parts!

if you don't plan to resell then there is no issue on resale value, not that it matters w/ supras anyways, guys seem to name there price for the most part.

and as far as salvage cars, i bought a xterra, the one i've been driving the past 2 1/2 yrs and it was totaled, and i am a bodyshop so it was easy for me, but i saved about 10k at the time and im sure alot of guys w/ the same thing are still making payments!

so as far as saving money its the best way possible, if you have the knowledge and resources to get it up and running below a flat out purchase.

and im sure guys out there say an auction is better than a rebuildable

my opinion on that is at least half those cars are there for a reason(headakes)
yes there are good deals there , but its hit and miss.

a rebuildable car was being driven down the road at the time of its mishap and the owner probably had no intention of getting rid of the car!

thats my 2 cents!

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
i have to disagree with these posts

to some extent, they are never 100% ORIGINAL!!!
but they can be fixed by the right person(shop) to be the same as it was, thats why they sell parts!

if you don't plan to resell then there is no issue on resale value, not that it matters w/ supras anyways, guys seem to name there price for the most part.

and as far as salvage cars, i bought a xterra, the one i've been driving the past 2 1/2 yrs and it was totaled, and i am a bodyshop so it was easy for me, but i saved about 10k at the time and im sure alot of guys w/ the same thing are still making payments!

so as far as saving money its the best way possible, if you have the knowledge and resources to get it up and running below a flat out purchase.

and im sure guys out there say an auction is better than a rebuildable

my opinion on that is at least half those cars are there for a reason(headakes)
yes there are good deals there , but its hit and miss.

a rebuildable car was being driven down the road at the time of its mishap and the owner probably had no intention of getting rid of the car!

thats my 2 cents!
Well said! you should be able to save up to 5k if it was fixed, and fixed RIGHT.

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
My old eclipse was salvaged due to a flood. Repaired all the electronics, made 500whp with it (after the flood), reliable and clean as it was, no reason for it to loose its selling price.

I would say salvage due to accident is probably the worst offender. Salvage from flood or theft, in reality, shouldn't change the price of the car. Reason being its just PARTS that need replacement. Once you deal with salvaged accident, your dealing with frame and panel fitments which is a nightmare.

If you plan to buy the car, gut it out and rebuild it all yourself, nothing wrong with a salvage car as long as the frame is straight and panels / paint are good. There are a few salvaged supras out there, fixed properly by competent shops, with rebuilt titles, selling for top dollar.

·
Old School
4,055 Posts
I would never buy a salvage titled car. Aside from mechanical & safety issues that may/may not be present, trying to resell the car later would be a nightmare.

·
Champagne Papi
5,697 Posts
It really depends...alot of clean title cars have been in accidents also.. you just don't know about it. Like whoever buys my G35 after my lease is up.. is gonna be an idiot. My subframe has been replaced, my tranmission twice, i've been rear ended.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you do buy the salvaged title car, make sure you do your research on that particular car (car repair work,who did the repair,type of damage) . And make sure you use the fact it has a rebuilt title to your advantage when negotiating your price, I'd say atleast $7-8k less than a clean title counterpart. If you don't ask the right questions and pay the right price you could be buying someone elses nightmare and to top it all off, have a hard time selling it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Doesn't matter for me. I have been into Toyota's my whole life. I can get on a repair manual of any car with ease. I would prefer to inspect and assess them while in their crashed state and fix them up myself, so it is done right.

There were a few cars at auctions that were not worthy of salvage titles, especially some stolen/recovered cars with NY titles.

Every car needs to be assessed individually. One man's junk is the other man's treasure.

As for already fixed cars, dig up the space tolerances between body panels according to the repair manual, put the chassis on a laser chassis machine to measure if the thing is straight via OEM specs.
Assess the body panels and look for body filler amongst other little details.

As for the pricing, as they say, every car has its owner. The problem lies in the time it takes to get the owner, sometimes 1 day, sometimes more than a year lol.

·
Champagne Papi
5,697 Posts
I seee myself buying a salvage supra in the future.. as I don't plan to sell it re-sale value doesn't matter to me. But i plan to buy one thats already been damaged and fix it myself like I did with the miata(T boned).

·
19x10 +21 F 19x12 +28 R
2,186 Posts
if u are lookin at a salvage titled car, find out the reason first and have a body expert inspect the repairs on it.

Any body guy can tell you if things were done right or "mickey moused". Imagine if you are driving 120mph+ on ur new salvaged supra and a poorly welded section of ur frame breaks loose........

NOT a Very good idea right?

Salvage cars will never get the same price as a CLean titled car. Usually its at least 20-30% less.

Owning a salvaged car can also be a pain later on. Sometimes the body/frame work wasnt done perfectly and when you remove/replace/upgrade parts, it might be very hard to remove and install.

I have a salvage titled 87 accord Lxi as my DD we bought since 1993 and its still running strong at 240k miles!

·
Registered
798 Posts
depending on how bad the damage is, it might be better to just buy a clean one....how i see it buying a car with a twisted or bent frame is not a smart idea, if your looking for salvage be careful and choose wisely. there are tons of good salvage cars out there just have someone that knows what to look for

·
Smalltime Pimp
558 Posts
My Supra had a salvage title.
The story I was told was that some thugs broke into this guy's garage and beat the snot out of the car with crowbars and ripped out the seats and the stereo.
I had the car inspected and everything is straight, all the fenders and doors are good and tight, and it rides great.
On the plus side, the owner bought the car back from the insurance company and replaced everything with new parts, so the headlights, paint, and interior look brand new. Engine has only 50K miles on it and I got it for $22K cash.

Then again, I'm never gonna sell it, so I'm not worried about the "resale" factor.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea...well i got a freind that does body work..thats how i got my rsx..but i dont plan on reselling...and if i did..comeone a 97 tt 6 speed for way cheaper...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts