Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figured i'd ask supra guys as well. Your opinion? Supra would be in okay shape for a mk3. Meh paint some rust all that bs. Would be built though, bottom end, trans r154, standalone e85 all that. And still have a basic daily commuter car.

Vette would basically be stock around 100k miles.

Obviously i know this is a supra forum, but I"m considering parking my supra for awhile. Selling my daily for a vette and use my supra project money to get a vette. Maybe in the future turn the mk3 into an actual drag car, th400 big turbo all that..

Edit: Obviously c6 will cost more, and I don't get to keep my daily but that's fine. Roughly like 8k and keepy daily versus ~14k and park supra and sell project parts..

I also have the option of finishing my 2j swap on the cheap and just get it running under 7m electronics and piggy back. I don't want to sell the supra because it is pretty much my first car. But I feel like it would be worth some money with a 2jz in it.

·
JetFire
5,383 Posts
I would take a C6 Vette over a MKIII but that's me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that I"m grown up and have money to get a car I want rather than just buying what I can afford, I've been reconsidering my dream of a turbo c6. But I don't know what to do with the supra man.

Personally I don't care ls2 vs ls3, it'll get the lq9 iron block some day anyways. I would definitely prefer the tr6060 though!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Dude C6 hands down. My friend has a built R154 MkIII like you describe complete with rust, roached interior and ancient paint. and there's no comparison.

·
Toyota Lover
1,432 Posts
C6 over MKIII in my opinion... I dislike both but that is my choice if I had to pick one or the other...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dude C6 hands down. My friend has a built R154 MkIII like you describe complete with rust, roached interior and ancient paint. and there's no comparison.
The mk3 is in okay shape. It's just an older car still. Some hidden rust in wheel wells, clear coat pretty much gone. It's not rachety af though.

·
The Great Beast 666
464 Posts
C6 because the MK3 is not a real supra. ;)

But seriously C6 because of reliability in all aspects

464 Posts
I own a C6 ls2, and with a bolt on pro-charger you are at over 600 hp with pump gas and no other mods. Even with just bpu, exhaust and tune, it is a beast, and really nice to drive on or off the track. It has track mode for track days, and a HUD on the driver side with 3 different track modes and street mode. It is just a lot more car than an MKIII. Also reliability with an LS engine is no comparison. I have spoken with the mechanics at Corvette Specialty in Riverside, and they tell me that it is not uncommon to see 400k+ original miles and still going strong without a rebuild on an LS engine.

·
Cardinals!
1,546 Posts
C6 for both the performance potential and looks.

·
The Great Beast 666
464 Posts
I own a C6 ls2, and with a bolt on pro-charger you are at over 600 hp with pump gas and no other mods. Even with just bpu, exhaust and tune, it is a beast, and really nice to drive on or off the track. It has track mode for track days, and a HUD on the driver side with 3 different track modes and street mode. It is just a lot more car than an MKIII. Also reliability with an LS engine is no comparison. I have spoken with the mechanics at Corvette Specialty in Riverside, and they tell me that it is not uncommon to see 400k+ original miles and still going strong without a rebuild on an LS engine.
is the procharger CARB approved too? I know there are many CARB approved parts for the Vette. I just was not sure. Also with being in CA how are the GT28Rs are you able to pass smog with them?

464 Posts
I looked into it a couple years ago, and yes it was, but only for the 6 speed manual transmission, not for the automatic. That is why mine is still BPU, since I have the 6 speed automatic with paddle shifters. I decided to buy another supra instead of going with the procharger upgrade last year. I may still do it in the future but not sure yet. Quite honestly, the low end torque and power is pretty satisfying without any mods with the LS2, so I may just stay stock.

is the procharger CARB approved too? I know there are many CARB approved parts for the Vette. I just was not sure. Also with being in CA how are the GT28Rs are you able to pass smog with them?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THe procharger does sound awesome however turbo is life. But who knows w hat I"ll get in the future..

Well some people asking about the comparison. It' skind of like either stop my supra project, sell off my shit and store the supra and save up for a corvette. Or finish my project and have a strong supra and a daily. I'm really leaning to trying to save for a vette now, and then make the supra into an actual drag car over time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What amazes me is how they can run quite a bit of boost even with 10.5:1 comp? or is 11:1? Is it due to direct injection? I still have more research to do about ls family motors.

Also I'm not sure if everyone understands the mk3 is going to have a 2jz not a 7m.

TBh biggest thing I would miss is Inline 6 turbo sound. But v8 Turbi is nice too. First c6 2jz swap? LOL.

464 Posts
A 2jZ TT is 320hp stock and is only 3.0L, and the LS2 or LS3 is over 400 - 430 hp stock and is naturally aspirated, 6.0L or 6.3L. My C6 has a cat back Magnaflow exhaust, and it turns heads from half a mile away and sounds much beefier than my Supra with a downpipe and HKS carbon exhaust.

The procharger will add about 7lbs of boost, and you will be over 600 whp on pump, not E85. Also you can tune the Corvette without having to chip it or go standalone. I did mine myself with a Diablo pocket sized tuner.

You can turn the Supra into a drag car, but the vette has much more potential if you mod it as well - i.e. twin turbos on the LS engine sounds more like it. Don't be the first to put a 3.0L 2JZ iron block engine in a C6 Vette... maybe an 80s vette, but not a C6. There is a reason this has not been done yet since it is stupidity. A new LS1 engine is probably 18 grand or so... I am not sure of the exact price, but why put a 2jZ that you can pick up for a couple grand into a C6 Corvette?

I bought a Supra after already owning the Vette, because it is really fun to mod etc. However, the vette is a newer car and has an aluminum block, 6.0L V8 engine, and is twice as much displacement out of the box. You can get more out of the Corvette and can be faster than any Supra if you want to go to the extreme. Sounds like you want to keep the Supra for sentimental reasons, or to have it as a fun drag car. So daily the Corvette and mod the Supra sounds like the route to go.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A 2jZ TT is 320hp stock and is only 3.0L, and the LS2 or LS3 is over 400 - 430 hp stock and is naturally aspirated, 6.0L or 6.3L. My C6 has a cat back Magnaflow exhaust, and it turns heads from half a mile away and sounds much beefier than my Supra with a downpipe and HKS carbon exhaust.

The procharger will add about 7lbs of boost, and you will be over 600 whp on pump, not E85. Also you can tune the Corvette without having to chip it or go standalone. I did mine myself with a Diablo pocket sized tuner.

You can turn the Supra into a drag car, but the vette has much more potential if you mod it as well - i.e. twin turbos on the LS engine sounds more like it. Don't be the first to put a 3.0L 2JZ iron block engine in a C6 Vette... maybe an 80s vette, but not a C6. There is a reason this has not been done yet since it is stupidity. A new LS1 engine is probably 18 grand or so... I am not sure of the exact price, but why put a 2jZ that you can pick up for a couple grand into a C6 Corvette?

I bought a Supra after already owning the Vette, because it is really fun to mod etc. However, the vette is a newer car and has an aluminum block, 6.0L V8 engine, and is twice as much displacement out of the box. You can get more out of the Corvette and can be faster than any Supra if you want to go to the extreme. Sounds like you want to keep the Supra for sentimental reasons, or to have it as a fun drag car. So daily the Corvette and mod the Supra sounds like the route to go.
I'd only ever do that if I had inifinite money and I wanted to piss people off. Take it to LS Fest here in KY LOL. But vette would be pretty bad for a 2j swap anyways not much room in that bay I don't think!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts