Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am genuinely curious to see what you guys think.

If you were to be almost guaranteed to turn the profits from selling your Supra into double, or even triple the price, would you?

Let's say you NA guys are selling it for 35k, and you can almost guaranteed have 80-100k within a few months, would you?

What about the RZ guys selling it for 60k who could easily have 150k+?

Do you consider it worth it? Not speaking just financially-wise, but would you ever forgive yourself?

·
Old School
4,094 Posts
No. I don’t need the money. If I had some type of financial emergency I couldn’t pay for any other way then I’d consider it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fack selling. No deal. To some a Supra might be worth a million bucks but to me it's worthless!

My buddies mindset is sell it and use the funds to buy a rhd one for cheaper and use the extra to do stuff to it. I bought the car because I have been a fan of it since I was a kid in middle school and my neighbor had one. I used to say I'd own the car one day even if I had to live in it. Now look at me, I don't even have to live in it! Mostly because I live in a box next to it.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I purchased my car for a really, really good price, it was bought sight unseen, i rolled the dice and I was lucky it didnt have any major issues.
Since then I have dumped a substantial amount into it (single turbo with all the fixins, full a-z suspension refurbish, tan to black interior conversion, decent audio system, work wheels etc etc), and have about 80% of my parts to build my motor and hit my 1000 whp goal next year. Doing it proper with ARP 625+ everything, VVTI head conversion and the like.
Needless to say, I have dumped quite a bit into it ontop of the original purchase price.

I dont need to sell it nor probably ever will, but at this point, I can say with confidence, if i did have to sell it even after the built motor goes in, I would still turn a bit of a profit or at the very least break even.

And if that day ever did come, I would probably be out of the supra game permanently because there is no way i could ever build up another LHD car to where I have mine now for the amount Ive had to spend so far. Who are we kidding, they are farily boring cars when stock or even mildly modified, you could spend that money else where for a much more fun car. Ill die before I ever own a RHD supra. No offense to the owners, just not my thing. So that would be it for me if I ended up selling.

However, if someone is dumb enough to offer me double or triple what the car is worth, I would take that cheque and laugh all the way to the bank. Everything has a price.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Long quote
At my current state, I should be able to get my car, engine-wise, to where I want it to be within the next 2-3 years. Next, it would have to be all cosmetic modification and restoration to include interior and exterior.

Or I could possibly sell it now and transform it into double or triple profits within a year. My cheap-ass is screaming "do it" but my ego is telling me not. I was raised to make good financial decisions instead of taking the emotional route. It is an amount of money that would most certainly make a massive difference in my life, but at the same time I know I'll regret getting rid of it.

I'm really curious to see what everyone has to say. We've had some great inputs so far.

·
Registered
78 Posts
At my current state, I should be able to get my car, engine-wise, to where I want it to be within the next 2-3 years. Next, it would have to be all cosmetic modification and restoration to include interior and exterior.

Or I could possibly sell it now and transform it into double or triple profits within a year. My cheap-ass is screaming "do it" but my ego is telling me not. I was raised to make good financial decisions instead of taking the emotional route. It is an amount of money that would most certainly make a massive difference in my life, but at the same time I know I'll regret getting rid of it.

I'm really curious to see what everyone has to say. We've had some great inputs so far.
Could you deal with selling for profit, and prices skyrocketing more in the future, and having to pay 2 or three times what you paid for the one you bought? If so and that's your preference then do it! I've had to be financially responsible as well since I was 19, especially having a kid in high school. Back then it would have been sweet to find a Supra for 20k. I had to wait until it was feasible though and wound up paying 40 for mine.

If you want a Supra, buy a second one when you find it for dirt cheap, preferably a rhd. Then sell the one you have. They're going to become harder and harder to get a hold of so really all about if you're ever going to want another one, and how much you're going to be willing to pay when the time comes. As for me, I'll keep my USDM TT Auto (Manual soon hopefully). I do like money, but money comes and goes. Supra's ...... not quite.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I’ve had my car 15 years, haven’t got a clue how much I’ve spent on it and I really don’t care. It’s nice knowing the value keeps going up but wouldn’t sell.

Every time I go into my garage for something and I see the car I still have the feeling I had when I first bought it. Just can’t put a price on that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I like post number 4, that is the answer i usually give when asked if i would sell the supra, really like my 97 would probably
never sell and of course if i got really unrealistic money

·
Game Over
1,272 Posts
Nope. I'm already balls deep into my parts collection. Next up is going full retard with my resto once I figure out a way to come up with the cash to send her to Stefan.

Maybe if I've gotten an cash offer that is stupid enough for me to be able to immediately jump into another all original immaculate turbo hardtop while I get to keep my parts, but that'll never happen.

If you see me selling my Supra, you'll know there's something wrong with me.

Diamond hands baby

·
Super Moderator
10,676 Posts
No, wouldn't, and did not, sell. Already had those opportunities with Blackie and Bauxite.

Ken.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah this is something that I’ve been going back and forth on. I could buy a home if I sold my Supra(97 TT stock)but it’s like I just can’t do it and I even have a relative that’s offered cash but it’s still such a tough decision.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've had mine 2.5 years and I'm only just getting started with mine. I expect the Supra will be with me for a good while yet. The reason being, what would I replace it with? It's not just about power potential and straight line speed, as many modern cars can be made as fast as a single turbo set up, quite easily now. It's that combination of the way it looks, the way it handles, that clunky 6 speed manual shifter and the fact that when I see if on my driveway, it makes me feel special.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It would be tempting if I could pay off my mortgage by selling mine. Even then I know if I did, I'd have a hard time reconciling the cost to get back in the Supra game.

But for sentimental reasons I haven't and still intend to dump more money into it, its my baby hard to believe having have my 98' since 09' I have had it longer than its original owner. I've seen my parents have trade-in cars in the period I've held my Supra. Theres a lot in how it feels when I see it, drive it, and its longevity 225k miles in and it can go further but the expensive GTE swap is coming.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Already walked from that offer because my son asked me to hang onto it a little while longer.

Sometimes I trade fake internet money on the side for money. It’s been a solid decade long hustle that has paid off well for me. Someone said diamond hands 💎 and that made me lol, but generally speaking I’m pretty autistic in a good way at timing when I exit a market. I started taking out mortgages and spent less time on cars after my first Supra purchase. You may notice I’ve used the GME meme stock lingo. I don’t want to paint any targets on my back but I didn’t buy (COIN) today as it IPO’d because I have direct exposure and don’t need the stock. I read Reddit, I’m old but I’m 😎 cool. I’m no jive turkey.

Just remember, the money is worth less, so it takes more of it to buy a thing. The prices will continue to rise on these cars imho. Owning a Supra is a whole lot like owning other rare and valuable commodities

·
Registered
94 Supra Twin Turbo
1,258 Posts
At this point in my life theres nothing I want bad enough for me to sell my Supra even at triple the profits.

·
Smith & Wesson Member
640 Posts
No, I currently have a crazy standing offer. The answer is always No.

I wouldn't sell her, no matter how much is offered.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Honestly if I could probably triple what I paid for my car I would probably sell it. There is a nice 3 acre lot for sale that I've been eyeing and would def help with obtaining it.

Edit: A bit of extra info on why I would probably sell. I already have property and a home but being in Hawaii property is very limited so any chance to get some is worth the effort. Especially prime real estate like I'm looking at. In a few years I can see this lot would probably be worth close to a million. Doubt my Supra or any for that matter would fetch a price like that.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts