Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dont know what made this happen. fuel that was used was 50/50 93/c16 with 50.50 meth/water above 18 psi. peak boost levels were only 29 psi. timing was mild @ 14 degrees peak ramp. so what caused this?

and what is the easiset/simpliest way to rebuild.? cost effective? pistons rings? or new short block? or etc? :scratch: ithought it was just a headgasket this whole time.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3 Circles Performance said:
That doesn't look good. Surely you can find used sets of rods and pistons and as long as the block is ok use that.
i would but new stock set if it would work properly. most comments i hear say total new short block is the most cost effective and easy way to get it done quick and right. machine shops take forever to bore it out for oversized pistons etc. thats why im asking for the ghurus helps here

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
that looks pretty bad.

Bad injector? loose fuel pressure?

Time for a new short block, and don't be shocked if your head is warped.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Gadfly said:
that looks pretty bad.

Bad injector? loose fuel pressure?

Time for a new short block, and don't be shocked if your head is warped.

I was about to say the same thing.What # piston is that and is it the only one that is like that?

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
t67,95 lbs inj.2 walbros,aem,meth kit, a/f was a steady11.1 the whole run when it stuttered and let go. i am told it is poor fuel quality. 29 psi with 50/50 mix of 93/c16 and meth is online above 18 psi. maybe the map was bad? couldnt log the run since my laptop wouldnt connect all day long it said said error bad ecu file.

so went wrong? any ideas to what it was or could be?

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
I got a brand new set of eagle rods in the box (very good for your size turbo), I'll give you a great deal on!! And Weisco pistons....if I can find them...hmmm...

Jay

·
I don't drive a Supra
163 Posts
I wouldn't spend money on a rebuild. Try some Lucas Oil Cleaner from AAP. Good luck! :)

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
theres a chance [slight] that the temp on the car wasnt high enough before my run. and my personal guess would think that since only 1 piston took that grenade that it was wehn the head gasket went and i lifted the gas i sucked coolant in that cyl. and tore it up nicely.

PLEASE NOTE that its on the intake side that most of the damge was done[meth?] . head looks like itll be ok.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
pm me if you need a new short block asap i can work out something with you ,also another idea is to purchase a used jdm motor (there is a place here in jersey that has some)
and use what you need and sell off the rest.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ex5.0 said:
How old was the C16?

the 5 gal. can of c16 was from last season i had in my basement. it was still sealed. it did cross my mind though.

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
2,171 Posts
I have always been a fan of building my own motor so I know it's done right. If I bought a new short block I would have to disassemble it to check my clearances and eye up the machine work, so to me either way you are building a motor. If you don't have the tools to measure, mainly mics and a bore gauge, it can get expensive to check everything the first time around. Some machine shops do take forever. The one I use now usually turns my stuff around in under a week, but they are just a commercial rebuilder, not a performance machine shop, which is fine because I really only need the basics done. JDM motors are more of a risk because you are buying a used motor that you have no history on like a new or rebuilt motor.

I have a sealed C16 can from I think November. This concerns me. Is this E-town C16?

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes e-town c16.. shouldnt a new sb from toyota be ok since it is new? i have heard story's of the clearance issues but only from a few people.

i will put my old sort block up 4 sale even if its only minor issues and buy the new block to be sure.

L

·
0 Posts
chances are it wasn't the gas if only one cylinder is damaged, maybe that injector?

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
legendboy said:
chances are it wasn't the gas if only one cylinder is damaged, maybe that injector?

is there anyway that injector couldve failed to do that? :scratch:
my thoughts were coolant from headgasket got sucked in and did all of that damage.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts