Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paint and trim questions!

I hope with all your collective experience you can guide me.

I'm at the point at this time of year of getting my 88MKIII ready for winter storage, but I'm considering leaving her at a body shop for them to work on at their own pace and leisure over the winter.

The only problem with her as she stands is that I have one rust spotted passenger door caused by the crap mettle reinforced rubber coated side bdy moldings and the weak ass fasseners that used the hole in the the panel to attach them.

Unless I can find a perfect midnight blue door from an 89 or later car, I'm planning of having the body guys strip the damaged areas, and seal all the holes all around. Then replace the molding with adheisive bond type moldings.

I'm not crazy of paying Toyota for OEM replacements from 89-92 models, And I'm considering making a slight change to the paint color and finish, so I'm looking for a aftermarket solution that can be painted to match the new paint.

Any idea's fella's?

P.S.>>>
I've looked at and considered the removal of the moldings all together, but I'm not crazy about the lool. The "BELT LINE" adds something to the look IMHO, and having a perfectly paint matched replacement will make her look exactly as I wish her to.

And I'm open to other different idea's too!

·
Hair Club Member
1,004 Posts
I just painted my trim the same color as the car (black) the look is very nice.....I'd go with the late model trim....just wait for it on here or watch ebay. I think its worth the wait.

Chris D.
Boise, Iowa

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chris!

Any idea's at what the going rate is for a full set from a 89-92 unpainted is???.

Oh! And did you do anything special with your paint job?
or did you go with OEM paint?

I have some idea's for something different that requires layers to give it an almost wet 3D look based on it's Midnight Blue OEM base. I just want to enhance the darkness of the Blue and then add an irridecensant Pearl with a raven blue highlight.

I got the idea from a type of wasp we have here.
It looks black at a distance, but when the light hits it, it POPS this Bark Raven Blue with a Steel blue highlight. Real freaky looking color! I love it!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Painting the 87 trim looks good too... not as clean as the 89+ because it has more knooks and crannies, but nice.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Actually Hawkeye.... I was planning of going the same route as you have taken with the MKIV rims in either a polished aluminum look or annidizing them GOLD....

Not sure yet.

The other internal fight I'm having with myself is whether or not to spend the money on 17 or 18inch rims(used even)

P.S.>>>
Your machine looks Scorching Hot Man!
Is that an after market color or what?
the color your car is throwing is pretty near the highlight color I want coming through the layers in a pearlesant tone.

Please tell me what paint that is. (Make, name, Product Number ect) and did you add anything to the mix before application?
(Metal fleks, highlighter, Pearl etc)

All she needs now is tint!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
It is Aegean Blue Pearl. It might look familar from the 2003 Acura TL type-s (guess what sits next to the supra in the garage). It is b504p and I went with a single stage from dupont. Nothin special, just a urethane single stage paint job... (lots of prep work and finsh wet sanding).

I was thinking about tint... I don't know though. I will be moving to PA permenantly in about a year and a half to two years and they have pretty strict registration saftey inspections.

What it really needs is some lowering... soon.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the Info Hawkeye!

And howdy to you too XTC!

I'm planning the same treatment for my baby!
No sence spending the money on a half assed job!
Your ride look pretty sweet too!
Interesting rims!...

Hawkeye and myself are also interesting in do'n the "POWER SQUAT" lowering job as it appears you've already done!
Please do tell the details!
What spring\shock combo did you end up with, and what size are those rims and type of rubber mounted.

I could use all this info!

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
I'm in the same boats as you LJM61. I found a nice set of 89+ moulding used for a decent price. I should have hem shortly. Next week my car enter the bodyshop just before storage(paint will have plenty of time to dry) I'm doing some repairs, installing a turbo a duct, remove the 88 moulding, paint under and the moulding like the car, like XTC said. I'm keeping the stock color though.

I don't like the shaved moulding look. Just search for a nice set of used moulding and your set.

BTW I would stay with 17" wheels, mk4 TT rims fit the bill perfectly IMO :D

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to know Fred!

I'm kinda surprised that used Post 88 moldings were able to be salvaged! I thought the adheisives were pretty much permanent once attached. Was there any damage to them from the removal process? And yes I'm also having all of mine removed and the body "HEALED" and painted before applying the new ones...

BTW Fred... If you don't mind my asking. What did the used moldings set you back? and was it a complete refit? or did you leave some of the originals in place.

In my case, I just want all the metal reinforced originals gone!

Thanks guys!

P.S.>>>
I'll take a peak at "becauseican's" machine as a reference point.
Thanks for that heads up Fatboy!

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
I don't know exactly how the moulding I bought are. but according to the seller, they are in mint condition and I don't doubt it. I should receive them next week. I don't think it's really hard to remove the moulding, just take care and going slowly not to break anything.

My original moulding looks like crap, alot of rust under the passenger door moulding. And some of the moulding hold with screws. :eek: The previous owner did a crapy job. So I'm getting a 89 moulding set because I want good shape mouldings and I want to swap a set of 89+ tailight assembly, so I need the rear moulding because the -88 wont fit with the center panel.

Some told me that 89+ mouldings don't fit with the 88 tailight. I don't have the the 89+ tailight right now, later this winter. I will either wait before putting the moulding or put it if they fit with my stock tailight. I will get back to you on this

All years moulding or interchangeable, (post 88 moulding on pre 89 mk3 and pre 89 moulding on post 88 mk3) except for the rear ones where you need the matching tailight assembly.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
FredTurbo said:
So I'm getting a 89 moulding set because I want good shape mouldings and I want to swap a set of 89+ tailight assembly, so I need the rear moulding because the -88 wont fit with the center panel.
It fits... and looks decent IMHO.

Can't tell a difference from 15 ft.

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
oh ok. glad it fits

thats it, I get different opinion about this. hehe

anyway I will know it for sure(and find out by my self with my own eyes) next week.;)

edit: I just saw the pics in your post, looks damn good! but I'm talking about 89+ moulding with 88 tailights. Bah! they look alike. lol

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm Soooo glad I found you guys with this info.
Your gonna save me a load of time and headaches!

The other arguement I'm having with myself is with further regard to swapping 89+ panels and trim for my 88t.

I don't mind my tail, but I love the 89+ more.
But then I saw a Vailside DTM type tail on the lowered and hyped KAZE MKIII body kit , and I just went gaga!

SMOKIEZ!!! It looked Killer Hot.
The car is definitely big enough to carry it off!

My other prefs are for:
-89 rear view mirrors.
-but not the air dam.

I think I would perfer the KAZE airdam and extended rocker panels as well as extended aero rear bumper covers.

I just wish I had the time to make my own designs.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I really like the 89+ modern look, but the pre 89 look more muscular and more like the mk2... can't argue with that. I made my choice (I can interchange within 10 minutes though :p )

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
I really love the 87-88 front bumper!:D Like hawkeye said the front look more muscular, "remember" me a bit of a skyline front(r32-33-34)

I like the 89+ spoiler more but If I change mine I will go with the Bomex whale tale.

The JDM 89+ tailights or the best(darker)

And I like my 88 mirrors.

IMO

LJM61 I just realise your from Canada too!;)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Howdy Brother_Canuck!

I'm come to believe that Canada probably has more one time and current Supra owners per capita than almost any country!

Or at least we have more crazies killing themselves to keep Mk2, MkIII & MKIV Supras on the road. It must be the cold!!!! ;) LOL

Hey Freddy! Are you an F1 fan by chance???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts