Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to give BIG PROPS to Jeff (Wreckless) and his co-polit Allan.

My temp gauge went past the half-mark outside of Wikieup. There was nowhere to pull off the road so we managed to make it to the I-40. Once on the I-40 my check engine came on so we pulled over.

While we were waiting for the supra to cool down a white SC300 pulled over about 100 feet down from us. Lo and behold it was Jeff and Allan on their way to SIV.

By then the supra had cooled down. They had distilled water with them, so we poured 1.5 gallons in the radiator and drove to Kingman with no issues.

We had a friendly DPS Officer that stopped by to make sure everything was alright. He asked what's up with the blue tape and talked about our supras and SIV.

It turned out to be a bad radiator cap.

Once again, thank you Jeff and Allan

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Jeff Boardman (Wreckless), an institution of the Supra community. Always ready, always helpful and always solves the problem no matter how serious it might appear to be a first blush.

Ken.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Jeff "Wreckless" and Allan "The Gate Keeper" are two guys we are fortunate to have in the Supra community. If they just saw a "Father" on the side of the road they may have kept going, but a stranded Supra in need of help...it's GO TIME!

Glad you made it to SIV and back Father Ume, and thanks to Wreckless and The Gate Keeper for rescuing you!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeff Boardman (Wreckless), an institution of the Supra community. Always ready, always helpful and always solves the problem no matter how serious it might appear to be a first blush.

Ken.
Jeff "Wreckless" and Allan "The Gate Keeper" are two guys we are fortunate to have in the Supra community. If they just saw a "Father" on the side of the road they may have kept going, but a stranded Supra in need of help...it's GO TIME!

Glad you made it to SIV and back Father Ume, and thanks to Wreckless and The Gate Keeper for rescuing you!
Very true Ken and Dave, I'm glad they are a part of our community.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Having had some issues both in the past and on this recent trip to Vegas, I can feel a lot of sympathy for stranded motorists. Can't think of many folks I'd rather have stop to help than Jeff. Allan, I'm not sure we've met, will have to make it a point to introduce myself next year.

·
Super Moderator
10,138 Posts
Genuinely, the pleasure was all mine!

After realizing at the last minute that my ad-hoc configuration to make my MK4 run for SIV wouldn't be completed in time because of scheduling chaos between my busy life and my very busy fabricator, I'd taken to setting up my faithful SC300 daily as a support vehicle for Alan aka Captain here on SF.
For those of you that missed it last year, Alan has a white '89 with a quite magnificently worked over built 7M-GTE with a GTX4088 single turbo and Toda 272 cams, front face intake, AEM V2 running on hall sensors, etc. He didn't make the dyno last year because of clutch issues, but we had a great evening cruising around with Javier and Andrew Alvarez and some other MK2/MK3 guys, and that evening was one of the highlights of SIV2015 for me.

Alan, not being one to half-ass anything at all, has his eyes set on 4-digit HP levels for his 89 in the not-so-distant future so he opted to go CD009 using a Suprastore CD009 adapter and 7M bellhousing. Unfortunately, the one-off, not-supported-by-anyone path involved here required a hell of a lot of work on the tunnel, shifter, and a few other things before finally being thwarted for this year by clutch disengagement issues. Anyone who's had to figure out a custom clutch configuration using a mix of parts knows how much trial and error goes into finally getting a good working setup, and Alan plans to post the information for all once he's got it solidly figured out.

Long story short, I'd brought everything I could imagine needing to support a 750+whp 7M-GTE car driving approximately 500 miles each way back and forth to Vegas from Albuquerque. I'm always happy to help so I left all my tools and spares and supplies in my trunk.

I must say, though, that I wasn't expecting to need it before even getting to Vegas! :beer:

After Ume told me that he'd be on the side of the road for 15 minutes, I apologized for being a little late to our appointment hahaha :) Good times, and boy am I glad it was something so simple and that we got it resolved there and then instead of risking a blown head gasket or worse from pushing our luck with your engine temps!

See you guys next year!

Brad, you did meet Alan I think - he's my designated gatekeeper bearded ex-Marine (if there's ever really such a thing - As a Soldier myself I've only noticed that once you guys become Marines it's pretty damn hard to un-Marine you! :beer: )
He was working the dyno room entry and keeping people out of the dyno room by keeping that chain up while we were running cars, which was a safety measure I was very happy to have in place when Justus's tire decided to say 'yo dawg to many horsepressures' in a spectacular way.

If you didn't know him, Alan's beard and perpetual poker-face could be a bit intimidating. Ume joked that since Alan got out first, at first he had an internal 'uh oh' moment since he didn't recognize him, but all was well when he saw me :beer:

Nonetheless I was very happy to see you there Brad, and I think it's pretty cool how your proposal to your better half last year has started a tradition of someone proposing in front of us all at SIV. I wonder who's getting engaged next year?

Dave, Great to see you dude. Alan and I joked about how once a Supra was involved it was like the batsignal going up - but much like Brad it did give me pause to think about how other perfectly good folks in more pedestrian vehicles are every bit folks in need just the same. That train of thought has me set on keeping distilled water in a daily driver as well as a more useful set of things like duct tape, scrap hose, etc. It's better to make the world a friendlier place when we can.
Though I think I'll exit the car first next time, lest Alan's ferocious beard scare anyone else! :rofl:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
WOOT to Jeff and Allan

·
Registered
2 Posts
It was great to see you and your family again Ume, I'm glad your car is OK, I'm sure you made it home safely, we did. :)
I'll talk to you again soon i came back from Japan.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you didn't know him, Alan's beard and perpetual poker-face could be a bit intimidating. Ume joked that since Alan got out first, at first he had an internal 'uh oh' moment since he didn't recognize him, but all was well when he saw me :beer:

Though I think I'll exit the car first next time, lest Alan's ferocious beard scare anyone else! :rofl:
Jeff you have to remember we were in Kingman and I see this bearded man, getting out, walking towards us with no expression. HELL YA I was scared ohnoes:eek:hnoes:

But when you got out, I knew we were in good hands.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was great to see you and your family again Ume, I'm glad your car is OK, I'm sure you made it home safely, we did. :)
I'll talk to you again soon i came back from Japan.
Rudy it was great seeing you again and meeting your wife. I can't believe your remembered me after 10+ years. It must be my handsome face, hahaha.

Have fun in Japan and I'll see you next year.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Ok, now that you mention the poker face, I do believe I could spot Allan now. The quiet, stoic looking fella, right? Not sure we exchanged many words past the occasional head nod, but no worries. I'll be sure to say hi next year.

I do know what you mean about the "once a marine, always a marine" part though. Any that I know, they're good to be around. Even when relaxed, you can tell they're always aware and ready.

As for the proposal thing, I'd be honored if that became some sort of tradition, so long as everybody who pops that question comes up with a clever way of doing it. :)

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Alan's beard and perpetual poker-face
Perpetual poker face, LOL. Shit's funny to read while visualizing! :D Although, I think he may have let a tiny grin slip when I bought him a large strawberry shake, hahaha.

Some people don't have to say a single word for you to like them. I think Alan falls in this category with me ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,138 Posts
Perpetual poker face, LOL. Shit's funny to read while visualizing! :D Although, I think he may have let a tiny grin slip when I bought him a large strawberry shake, hahaha.

Some people don't have to say a single word for you to like them. I think Alan falls in this category with me ;)
I honestly believe his secret to epic beardedness is that he feeds it nothing but strawberry shakes and smoothies, with the occasional slice of NY style pizza.
(Hats off to Ricky Shah again for finding a LEGIT NY style pizza place!)

I mean, look at this beast:

He's not actually drinking. That's Rick Shah's beer he's holding for the picture. He didn't have a sip of alcohol the whole trip - I fear I consumed more than my fair share as a result! :beer:

Frank H from the SoCal crew was representing hard for the epic beardedness as well. Definitely enjoyed a few "refills" with him and Ed G and the other socal dudes! :beer: :beer:

All in all, Alan is as solid as they come. He was great company for the 8+ hour drive both ways, and without his generous offer to share his double-bed spot at the Excalibur, I wouldn't have made it to SIV 2016 at all.
Supras present or not, rest assured that Alan and I will be at SIV for many years to come.

My only regret is I have to wait all through next year to do it all again!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
My only regret is I have to wait all through next year to do it all again!
You know, I hear the AZ annual BBQ is a great time as well... planning on attending ourselves, if weather cooperates up here.

·
Registered
905 Posts
SUMMON THE GATE KEEPER
Sup.

Jeff you have to remember we were in Kingman and I see this bearded man, getting out, walking towards us with no expression. HELL YA I was scared ohnoes:eek:hnoes:
I thought about that briefly. "These dudes have no idea who I am and I'm just walking up to them with some strange Lexus backing up next to me..."

This community we have mainly centered around Supras, and people like Steve T who should have a Supra, is a great community and I am happy to be able to help out, even if just a little. Thank you again for lunch/dinner in Kingman and say thanks to your son for me for letting me ride in his DJG to Lowes, where I abandoned him for a strawberry shake, and the ride back from the top.

Perpetual poker face, LOL. Shit's funny to read while visualizing! :D
Funny part is, with out the beard it turns into a resting bitch face.

I think he may have let a tiny grin slip when I bought him a large strawberry shake
It was a rather small one, yes. The grin when you decided to pass a row of probably 10 Supras going up the hill on the scenic drive was a rather large one though. Even crammed in the back seat behind Steve T.

Ok, now that you mention the poker face, I do believe I could spot Allan now. The quiet, stoic looking fella, right? Not sure we exchanged many words past the occasional head nod
You know, I hear the AZ annual BBQ is a great time as well....
That pretty well sums up 90% of my interactions with people. Not sure we exchanged any words but I'll find you next year and change that.

I am also planning on trying to attend the AZ BBQ depending on work schedule.

Allan and Jeff are pure class! Had a blast with both of these fantastic guys. :bigthumb:
Thank you kind sir, I'd say the same of you but that'd be a bit of an understatement.

I honestly believe his secret to epic beardedness is that he feeds it nothing but strawberry shakes and smoothies, with the occasional slice of NY style pizza.
Well, actually the secret is REDACTED
Not sure if I looked stoned in that picture or just the "WTF am I holding Ricks beer for...."
Definitely not photogenic

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Not sure if it's subliminal or not, but a strawberry shake does sound pretty good about now... Look forward to hanging out next year Allan. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts