Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the cons of the 04 STI is. Like, if the tranny is commonly known to have problems, etc. Any feedback would be great, my buddy is looking into buying one and wanted to know some of the low points of this car. Thanks

· Registered
1,349 Posts
Buy an 05 if you can. 1/2" wider wheels, STi logo on the BBS's, better bolt pattern, wider rear fenders, better steering rack, better interior, better seats, 3 spoke black steering wheel, helical front differential, stereo stock, red instead of pink badges, blacked out headlights, boost creep fixed, aluminum suspension components rather than steel stamped ones.

Simple bolt-ons work great for the car. You'll need a fuel pump if you plan on modifying since the stock injectors are at 90%+ duty cycle. I put down 308WHP/328WTQ with 255lph pump, TBE, APS CAI, and ECUtek ECU. Making anymore power costs A LOT. It's an ultimate daily with torque across the board, but if you want to get crazy buy an EVO instead.

· Republican
9,678 Posts
yea 05 FTW... much much better... it is one of the most fun cars you will ever drive.. I've even had girls mention "you really slid out the rear, but it stuck!"

· Dreamer
2,099 Posts
STi is a great car.
I drive one right now and the torque is amazing.
Cons of 04 compare to 05 are interior and wheels...
The stock block is not bulletproof but holds very reasonable amount of power.
The tranny is pretty much bulletproof and it feels great.
I drive it a lot... like 2k a month 70% of city driving. I also go through lots of traffic and I have no problem with it!

Opps.. I posted under my brother's username lol

· Registered
261 Posts
Like mentioned the Tranny is one of the stronger points on the car as well as the clutch. Both are very tuff and durable. I'd go with an 05 as well if possible.

The STI has a smaller snail(VF39) compared to the EVO's 16g. The upside is the low end torque and turbo response makes it almost feel like a non-turbo car. The downside is less overall performance potential. It's no joke that you can get around 400 crank ft-lbs @ around 4krpm with a nice Stage 2 STI setup--Very fun on the street!

· Registered
53 Posts
CTOE said:
Buy an 05 if you can. 1/2" wider wheels, STi logo on the BBS's, better bolt pattern, wider rear fenders, better steering rack, better interior, better seats, 3 spoke black steering wheel, helical front differential, stereo stock, red instead of pink badges, blacked out headlights, boost creep fixed, aluminum suspension components rather than steel stamped ones.

Simple bolt-ons work great for the car. You'll need a fuel pump if you plan on modifying since the stock injectors are at 90%+ duty cycle. I put down 308WHP/328WTQ with 255lph pump, TBE, APS CAI, and ECUtek ECU. Making anymore power costs A LOT. It's an ultimate daily with torque across the board, but if you want to get crazy buy an EVO instead.
The 05 wheel bearings can take a lot more abuse if you plan to race the car. Its pure speculation that boost creep was fixed for the 05 model year. Buy an 05+ if possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.