Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! It’s been quite some time since my last Supra but I have owned 3 MKIVs in my lifetime and want to make it my fourth. Email [email protected] or text to 303-475-4560. Here is what I’m looking for:

- First priority is color, #1 pick goes to White and #2 to Alpine Silver. No others

- Must be original Twin Turbo, no NA-TT swaps and no single turbo setups unless it’s a very safe daily friendly build.

- Prefer as stock as possible! But will consider very clean setups

- Can be auto or manual but prefer manual

- Mileage, 50,000-110,000. I really won’t consider anything above that unless it’s in excellent condition at a reasonable price.

- Price... lets be real with current financial market conditions. I’m looking $35-45k which is a solid offer when people are getting laid off left and right. I didn’t say I’m looking for a garage queen so my budget isn’t going into the 50’s or above.

- No hardtops. I’ve owned two, loved em, but want a Targa.

- No salvage, rebuilt, or major accidents. I can understand a minor accident, shit happens but it needs to be repaired correctly.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Maybe you've come across it, but this is a decent looking supra that fits your needs. Best of luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Maybe you've come across it, but this is a decent looking supra that fits your needs. Best of luck!
Absolutely beautiful!! But I’m only wanting a stock spoiler and not a fan of the steering wheel. My car is going to be daily driven for the most part and my taste has shifted with age to the classic stock appearance. I appreciate the heads up!!!!

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,298 Posts
^ Dude, the wing and steering wheel can be easily replaced and resold. You're not going to find the perfect Supra you want unless you are really really patient. You're going to have to be willing to take some things you don't want, and then replace them. Most Supras will have several other things you don't want, and they will be harder to replace.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
117 Posts
Yeah replacing the steering wheel and spoiler is incredibly easy if everything else right....

·
Registered
13 Posts
The HRE's will sell for more money than you need to replace the spoiler and steering wheel if it's what you want =)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not that you need a 5th person telling you, but gl in your search if this seems challenging to understand

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh no, I know I can simply replace the parts but at the moment I’m not looking to sink additional funds into a car nor attempting to ship out wheels, get a new spoiler painted, get a steering wheel replaced, and go through that process. I also need a factory exhaust. This car will be used in my daily professional setting (client facing, office, etc.). It’s an absolutely gorgeous car and overall it would typically be exactly what I’m looking for but the circumstances are a bit different this time around.

·
2,049 Posts
Chances are you are going to have some mods somewhere. I have a '97 in Alpine Silver with an auto trans and 97.8k miles on it and I put a Greddy BCC, full exhaust, intake, Blitz Dual SBC, and changed out the stereo's head unit and replaced the sub with a real sub. Most people would consider it "stock" but technically it isn't. Supra owners would call it "BPU". I've had offers in the range just above what you are looking at for my "stock" car. So I would possibly be open to the car you see even with the mods on it as it is under $50k and mine isn't. Oh and I'm not selling mine anyway, but I throw it out there as an example of what "stock" (original interior, exterior, stock turbos, motor, stock wheels) seems to be going for. 100% stock is most likely at least a little above your price range and is almost a Unicorn. Mine is close and yet, it isn't 100% stock. Good luck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Interesting to see someone declining a nice example just by a wing and steering wheel. Only two of ALL the Supras I know (in person) are with some kind of aftermarket parts and if available to sell then it will be over $50K. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hear what you guys are saying and I’ve slightly opened my mind to a few mods but a steering wheel and spoiler are just no-go’s for me, same with exhaust. Most other stuff I can be okay with if it’s not too crazy. I realize what I’m asking for is most likely going to be at my ceiling price so if a very clean car pops up and is a little above my ceiling, I’d probably jump on it. This will be my 17th car and 4th Supra so I’ve figured out over time what I’m looking for.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I hear what you guys are saying and I’ve slightly opened my mind to a few mods but a steering wheel and spoiler are just no-go’s for me, same with exhaust.
Steering wheel and exhaust are wear items. I can understand the want to have the OEM spoiler.
Unless the car sits in a garage, it's going to have wear, and those items will need to be replaced at some point.
Unless it's an NSX. If you let it sit in a garage you're going to have to replace the suspension arms. They bend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steering wheel and exhaust are wear items. I can understand the want to have the OEM spoiler.
Unless the car sits in a garage, it's going to have wear, and those items will need to be replaced at some point.
Unless it's an NSX. If you let it sit in a garage you're going to have to replace the suspension arms. They bend.
I do understand the wear aspect but I’m not looking to do multiple part changes right out of the gate. I’m happy to wait and later if it just seems like an impossible find and I have more time on my hands, I’ll look at other options.

600 Posts
I'd sell mine for 50k.

94, alpine silver, GTE, v160, 220 diff, turbo brakes, bpu. Plenty of oem extras as well that come with her.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
OP, not to beat a dead horse, but to confirm - you do know that the value of that TRD steering wheel is like 10X that of an average 4 spoke, correct? We are talking $100 vs $1,000 difference. The TRD spoiler takes minutes to replace and I won't even mention the value of the HRE's. In all, there's $5,000 in parts on a used market that can be easily resold or traded for stock components plus cash. If the car checks all of your other boxes, IMO it would be silly to say the least to pass on it because of those few tastefully upgraded and easily reversible parts. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here’s my biggest issues concerning swapping out parts. I understand that a steering wheel might easy to swap out but it would be my luck that I’d F it up and something severely dumb would happen. Let’s just say that I know nothing about steering wheels and airbags so that’s something I don’t even want to mess with. That leaves me having to take it a shop to swap it out, most likely a day or two without a car. That’s just something I can’t do having to transport my two kids and my job being in sales, I have to drive a lot. Yes, rent a car... just more cost and more I don’t want to deal having just bought a new car.

The spoiler... I used to paint cars and I know how nearly impossible it is to match paints sometimes especially any type of metal flake that could be 20-25 years old. That would absolutely make my OCD go insane, even if it’s barely off. Then we get back into not having a car again.

The wheels... I’d keep those on the car but later down the road I’d probably swap them out, not a necessity so not a deal breaker since they are clean nice wheels.

I would say that the steering wheel and spoiler are the biggest things on that particular car that hold me back. There are modifications that I can live with but there’s others I truly don’t want to do deal with, especially paint.

OP, not to beat a dead horse, but to confirm - you do know that the value of that TRD steering wheel is like 10X that of an average 4 spoke, correct? We are talking $100 vs $1,000 difference. The TRD spoiler takes minutes to replace and I won't even mention the value of the HRE's. In all, there's $5,000 in parts on a used market that can be easily resold or traded for stock components plus cash. If the car checks all of your other boxes, IMO it would be silly to say the least to pass on it because of those few tastefully upgraded and easily reversible parts. Good luck with your search.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts