Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently obtained access to a device that will let me repair some malfunctioning MkIV odometers. This is an order of magnitude more than just repairing cold solder joints. I can cure some of the following problems:
  • Odometer counts miles too fast
  • Odometer doesn't count miles
  • Cruise Control won't set a speed
  • Display is erratic or invisible
  • + more (let me know what problem you're having)
My charge is $100 if your unit is repairable, payable after I verify that it is fixed and functioning properly. You pay for shipping both ways. Payment can be made via PayPal gift (check my feedback) or add 3.9% for PayPal fees. Edit: minimum charge is $30 for the repair, whether it is successfull or not.

Disclaimer: only send me your odometer if you're about to try to replace it anyway. In a worst-case scenario, the procedure might injure your odometer further or kill it completely (in this case there is no charge, but you still pay return shipping if you want its carcass back)...I am not responsible if further damage occurs.

As an alternative, if you've already replaced your odometer and have the old one laying around, I'll buy it from you for $100, IF I can successfully repair it (payment will be made after I verify that it is fixed and functioning properly).

Post here if interested and I'll PM you my shipping address.

- Shawn Lipscomb

·
Team 10+ Year Member
3,510 Posts
Can an odometer issue cause the speedometer to not function? I have read mixed things.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Can an odometer issue cause the speedometer to not function? I have read mixed things.
Only if the "issue" is that the blue/red wire to the odometer is somehow grounded (within the odometer). The speed signal (from the Vehicle Speed Sensor) is actually a variable ground, and it goes to both the odometer and the speedometer separately (the "signal" is split between the two). So a failure of one should not affect the other.

If your speedometer doesn't work at all, and your odometer doesn't count miles, then you might have an issue with your Vehicle Speed Sensor, or your 10amp "Gauge" fuse is blown.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am assuming you are not able to completely reset the odometer to a specific mileage are you? Mine started counting 5x as fast and is now in the 225,XXX's cause I had other things to address first.

·
Inline for the win
4,741 Posts
Have you considered upgrading the display by chance to match STU's LEDs?

DP

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am assuming you are not able to completely reset the odometer to a specific mileage are you? Mine started counting 5x as fast and is now in the 225,XXX's cause I had other things to address first.
Sorry, no, I can't adjust the mileage reading.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you considered upgrading the display by chance to match STU's LEDs?
The odometer is a gas display, doesn't use LEDs. You can apply filters over the front lens to change the color...there's a writeup here somewhere about using acrylic sheets to do it.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ Yes. PM me for contact details.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
My Odometer hasn't worked since 2004, speedo works fine and I replaced the Speed Sensor yesterday. It displays fine and some years counts about 1-2/10ths of a mile a year. I'm going to do a couple of things first and see if I can get it to read. if I am unsuccessful I will reach out to you and see if anything can be done to fix it. Travis

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me know.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Let me know.
just going to see if the speedo signal is coming from the harness on pin 5 of the odometer, my mechanic has a MKIV Supra also so may see if I can borrow his for a minute. I'll post an update in a few days

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hello! Service still available? Interested in doing this pretty soon. My Odo is in KM but that shouldn’t matter for what you’ll be doing... I think?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have an auto rpm gauge. Was working when I pulled it off to install a manual

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello! Service still available? Interested in doing this pretty soon. My Odo is in KM but that shouldn’t matter for what you’ll be doing... I think?
Yes, can still do it. KM or miles doesn't matter, you are correct.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How do you verify the repair? I had to resolder mine and the only test I know to do is drive the car.
Same as you...I plug it into my Supra and drive it. Based on the owner's description of the symptoms, I verify that the symptom is gone.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts