Supra Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Originally posted by MADMKIV:
It looks like you're having Timing retard... Get rid of that Superchips ECU!!!

It's obvious there's a Problem when you get Peak Power at 4500.
Your Peak power should be around 5600 for a BPU car.

[ March 13, 2001: Message edited by: MADMKIV ]
I just got rid of the superchips ECU and replaced it with a stock 95TT pre-OBD2 computer. I think I can tell the boost is now holding to redline and not deteriorating.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Getting rid of that superchips did somethingfor more power ...now my clutch is slipping

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 95 tt six-speed with the superchip mod has run a best of 11.9 at 118 so I would not automatically blame this mod for a low dyno reading. Having both the BCC and superchip mod is redundant and may be the cause of the problem. Tony in Pa

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I went to Altered Atmosphere and put on the main crank underdrive pulley...I heard that this is definitely something to do with an auto but I have a 6speed. Has anyone ever heard of a 6spd having problems with this mod?

The owner there said the high flow cat I have is probably robbing me 20 rwhp...you guys think this is reasonable:

352 current rwhp :(
360 est. w/ pulley
380 w/ no cat
400 w/HKS-EVC-EZ instead of Profec A plus race gas
410 with cam gears
420 with AFC-R
440 with VPC
500 with 65 shot of NOS :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Tony,

I ended up swapping out the Superchips ECU...I heard that it does change the timing and fuel curves. Anyways I just have the BCC now so it should be fine.

Also the shop owner at Altered Atmoshpere's stock 98TT w/ 5K miles put down an impressive 307 rwhp...why do cars vary so much?

I could understand a 2-3% variance in rwhp from the factory but why a 270 rwhp and a 307 rwhp...assuming same mileage, conditions, boost, etc.

G

·
Isaac,
Supras vary so much because of variances in the stock wastegate spring. Some just allow more boost at stock levels, a mere one or two psi, corresponds to 10-20hp. One owner in Florida, Oleg, put down over 340rwhp stock.

Who did you talk to at AAM? Mike? Underdrive pulleys typically are worse on autos then 6 speeds, i've heard horror stories of sheared off auto tranny bolts due to their installation. I wouldn't put one on, it isn't worth the risk since its very little gain anyway. Most of the problems with UD pulleys is due to the removal of the harmonic dampener to remove inheerant resonances in the engine, toyco took the time to engineer this so i wouldn't mess with it.
A hiflow cat should take away that much hp at bpu levels but it depends on what cat you have and if its truly a hi flow cat. Is it 3" all the way through? I've seen tests on the random tech hi flow and the losses were negligible at bpu levels, it wasn't till they went over 450rwhp that the losses began to add up. The stock cat is very restrictive, but a high flow shouldn't give you much trouble. So, i don't think the cat is part of your problems.
You should be around 400rwhp once you throw a little race gas in there, if not, there is something else wrong with your car, boost leak, bad plugs, etc. I'm gonna be dynoing next week i think if i can get it scheduled in, you wanna go? I'm gonna try to head either over to woodbridge dynotech or AAM. Lemme know.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts