Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!! i just bought a spec stage 3 clutch kit from titan for a supra with a R154 transmission, single 2jzgte with about 400hp. After the 500 mile break in i did a couple of hard pulls then......

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!! i really need to know what would cause this type of failure....

·
Pays Cash, No Questions
2,306 Posts
Get rid of that clutch and don't look back. They will most likely try to bullshit you into thinking that it was your fault, but I hardly see that it is, if your scenario is as you said it was... Sorry to hear this.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get rid of that clutch and don't look back. They will most likely try to bullshit you into thinking that it was your fault, but I hardly see that it is, if your scenario is as you said it was... Sorry to hear this.
well what would YOU recommend for under ~$700 for 500-600hp? And its just as i stated above, i installed the clutch on Wednesday drove the shit out of it wed and thursday and managed to get a little over 500 city and stop and go driving miles. After the break in i romped on it a couple of time thru all the gears no funny noises or anything but i did notice this morning my pedal felt different.. When i got to the shop i was leaving out to pick up a part and, hit it in first, it slid like butter into second with some wheel spin, about to throw into third when i hear grinding and shit busting thru the bellhousing hitting the ground. Thats it.
The guy Jeremy at Spec seemed sorta helpful but was hinting on it being my falut and having to pay for a new PP...

·
MKIV intervention needed
3,026 Posts
im suprised, spec has a great name in the hot rod culture

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Do not get Spec clutches to Supras. They all suck.

EDIT: Maybe not the twin plates, but stay away from the single plate.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I am not sure if this helps you at all; but I just put a spec twin disk in my car, and the straps are completely diffrent on my PP to yours.. Your cluch only has three straps in each location, where mine has four. In addition your straps look longer, thinner, and narrower than the straps on my PP. The straps on my PP are made of a thick black colored steel, and are about just over an inch wide. When I assembled the clutch I compared them to the straps on the old RPS Carbon/Carbon and my ACT PP and was impressed with how thick, wide, and short they were. I was talking to Justin Nenni the other day and ask about this spec twin disk, he said tuned a car that put down right at 1100 rwhp with the twin disk.

It looks like the single disk PP is using straps similar to the RPS/ACT/Stock PP; in fact is it a reworked stock PP? Can you take a picture of the top of the PP? If it is a re-worked stock it is likely the same problem that hit the RPS re-worked stock PP's. My guess is that the Toyota stock PP straps are not as strong as they used to be. I would however push back on Spec.. obviously this was pure and simple a failure that should not have happened.

I know these are not the best pics of the twin disk clutch, but it is all I have handy. As you can see the twin disk unit is all billit.. It looks like a really nice clutch over all.

Keep us informed!

Spec's twin disk clutches are a high power for moderate cost solution we have all been looking for in Supras.. I hope thier customer service does not fall short of the mark.

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
is this a stage 3 or a stage 3++

·
Somebody's Watching Me!
1,875 Posts
dam that sucks hope spec helps you out, and not like rps's help either.

·
Registered
388 Posts
ACT HD Pressure plate with 6PAD sprung or unsprung disc holds 522 ft/lbs torque.

ACT XT Pressure plate with 6PAD sprung or unsprung disc holds 632 ft/lbs torque.

Thing to keep in mind XT pressure plate will be very stiff.

That's the beauty of going to a Twin/Triple clutch vs a Single. Twin/Triple clutches will be more on/off engagement, but the pedal will be normally softer than stock and hold a lot of torque.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts