Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know what rod knock sounds like at its worse but what does it sound like in the first stages when you first get it? i have a clack clack clack noise coming from under my car but my car runs smooth nothing is abnormal ive had this clack there since i bought the car and its not gotten worse or gone away i took a stethscope (sp?) i had laying around for some reason and i crawled under the car and listened to the oil pan i can hear the crank and shit goin around but no clack what could this be? ive heard rod knock will make a double clack on each round this is just a single its always there no matter if the car is cold or warm and i cant hear it while driving due to engine noise and sorts but its always there at idle im getting really paranoid about rod knock so much to the point where im thinking about going 1jz to hide from it. :sadance:

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Is it coming from the engine??? Sometimes when u put on a aftermarket MUffler and wide tires, they tend to rub or hit the exhaust pipes. Also when the exhaust pipe hits the lower control arm in the rear it will make that kind of sound....just some things to check.

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SUPRASTANGER507mgte said:
Is it coming from the engine??? Sometimes when u put on a aftermarket MUffler and wide tires, they tend to rub or hit the exhaust pipes. Also when the exhaust pipe hits the lower control arm in the rear it will make that kind of sound....just some things to check.
yea my car is 100% stock its coming from like the mid section of the car i almost wanna say the tranny but i cant think of anything around there that would make a clack noise while idling.

ok when i crawl around the car in front i cant hear it i cant hear it until i crawl around past the front tires on either side.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
SupaMan said:
yea my car is 100% stock its coming from like the mid section of the car i almost wanna say the tranny but i cant think of anything around there that would make a clack noise while idling.

ok when i crawl around the car in front i cant hear it i cant hear it until i crawl around past the front tires on either side.
So it is not coming from the engine then.???

How close is the downpipe sitting to the tunnel??? Are the shields on that downpipe tight? Wiggle it and see how much play it has cause engine vibration can cause it to hit the walls.

Are you checking this when the car is standing still, engine on?? or are you checking this when the wheels are turning - Back end raised in the air???

·
Registered
375 Posts
make sure that the little bar that goes on top of the exhaust and under the driveshaft is tight, its right infront of the diff it connects both sides of the unibody for strenth, mine makes that sound unless i tighten it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
could it be a pressure plate issue/clucth, if you cant hear it until you crawl past the front tires.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
DavidTT87 said:
could it be a pressure plate issue/clucth, if you cant hear it until you crawl past the front tires.
Loose bolts......not a bad idea to check at all.

IF the wheels are turning when u are checking, check the driveshaft bolts as well. At the differential and the joint near the tranny.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I'm voting clutch or tranny...

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i hear it until like 2k rpm then engine noise drowns it out i have an n/a if that helps anything i would prolly say clutch because my clutch has started to feel alot more loose lately but what would be the problem while idling? not moving anywhere with the clutch out in N

·
Registered
559 Posts
valve tick? my car emits a constant clicking noise that varies with RPM but this seems to be the norm

·
Registered
583 Posts
clutch, could be a loose bolt on the fly wheel hitting the disc maybe, who knows lmao, the clucth is one of the few parts i HATE dealing with.

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got around to making a video of the sound today you can hear it really good at the end i dont know what it is ive checked all my pullys their tight ive checked some other things a friend mentioned and everything checks out ok i listened to the oil pan using the broom handle trick and it doesnt sound like its coming from there ive done the rod knock test (pull the wires 1 by 1) and that checks out ok too..........im lost i dunno what it is.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v259/SupaMan89T/?action=view&current=Picture789.flv

in the video it sounds like it gets louder for like 5-6 clicks then quieter then louder again for a bit then quieter.........as far as i know rodknock doesnt do that.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
ok...

get the car in the air and pull the inspection plates on the tranny so you can see if it's that...

also, if it's the tranny or clutch, you'll be able to hear it through the shifter...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Mine turned out to be sticking lifters. I tried using oil additives to stop it, but it's always there when the engine is cold. Once it's warmed up though, the knocking goes away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts