Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One problem after another. My throw-out bearing went bad, so I repaired that at a shop and at the same time I installed a RPS Stage 3 clutch and RPS lightweight flywheel like 2 days ago. I dirve the car for around 100 miles or so and take it to a show last night which is another 40-50 miles. The car won the show :) . I start the car up to go back home, and I notice the clutch feel is a little mushy, but it comes back and it's strong again so I'm driving and I notice smoke from the engine bay. I pull over and I notice the car is leaking oil from the front of the engine. I get the car towed 80 miles back to my place and I have no money to fix it because I have put close to $8-9k in the past month in this car. What could it be. I never work on my cars, I usually take it to a shop. My friend helped me tow the car back home, and my other friend has a MK3 and he has always worked on his cars and he said he will help me out with it. for the first time I will be working on my car. I'm wondering what could the problem be. Maybe a front main seal? Crank walk?? There is oil on the timing belt, so that needs to be replaced. Any advice is appreciated. I am in need of help, so if you know something I shoudl watch out for, or how to do somethign better, etc... please let me know. Has anyone else had this problem???

~Farhad G.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,353 Posts
I had that happen after I did my clutch like 2 years ago. It's the FMS. It's not hard to replace, even my ass did it. It's just the tedious part of taking the radiator and fans out.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys fo all of your help. You are always helping out. I hope that's what the problem is. So make sure the crank seal is replaced while I'm replacing the front main seal. Where should I get these parts that are good and not too expensive. Also any way to install to help prevent this problem? Thanks again and I hope I can return the help one way or another to all of you in the future!!!

~Farhad G.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Farhad said:
Thank you guys fo all of your help. You are always helping out. I hope that's what the problem is. So make sure the crank seal is replaced while I'm replacing the front main seal. Where should I get these parts that are good and not too expensive. Also any way to install to help prevent this problem? Thanks again and I hope I can return the help one way or another to all of you in the future!!!

~Farhad G.
From your local Toyota dealer. Price should be under $20 for all seals. Replace the ones under the valve covers as well and get new bolts (dont use OEM ones). That will take care of most of the seals that are likely to go bad. No way really to prevent, just gets worn out. When I did mine, the little ring from inside the seal was sitting on the crank. Of course, no my rear main seal is going out. :ugh2:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Farhad said:

~Farhad G.
Make sure you replace the CAM seals.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
Farhad said:

~Farhad G.
try elmhurst toyota or champion toyota ,there sponcor's of the forum.

very cheap with there prices and fast shipping;) :sadance:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Go to the technical section and read in the Sticky about a replacement FMS better than OEM. I used it on my car for a couple of months now, no leaks .... YET

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hua said:
I had that happen after I did my clutch like 2 years ago. It's the FMS. It's not hard to replace, even my ass did it. It's just the tedious part of taking the radiator and fans out.
You and farhad had this similar problem. Would you like to explain how a clutch/flywheel isntallation would cause the FMS to leak? Or was this just a random incident after installing a clutch? Just curious. Thanks.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the oil being all over the timing belt normal? How bad was it to replace the timing belt? Where would you recommend getting that from? So we got crank seals, Front main seals, and timing belt. ane specila bolts, screws or other parts that i may need? Thanks in advance again. i hope everything goes well with the installation...

~Farhad G.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Farhad said:
Is the oil being all over the timing belt normal? How bad was it to replace the timing belt? Where would you recommend getting that from? So we got crank seals, Front main seals, and timing belt. ane specila bolts, screws or other parts that i may need? Thanks in advance again. i hope everything goes well with the installation...

~Farhad G.
That is caused by the oil leak from the front main seal. Timing belt is not that expensive either. Just call Elmhurst or Champion Toyota and they'll tell you all the part that you need to replace. Like everyone said, the parts are inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You need to remove the Timing belt anyway in order to do the FMS, so you might as well get a new one. It'll be preventitive maintenance. You won't have to open it up again for 60K miles.

[FYI] WORD TO THE WISE...If you or your friends do not have the right air tools to break free a VERY stubborn bolt, work on the crank pulley bolt FIRST!!!! Remove the fan shroud and put a breaker bar on the bolt and try bumping the starter to break the bolt free. That means don't even disconnect the battery first....CRANK PULLEY FIRST!! It's the biggest hurdle. My 1000lb air gun has a hard time with some of them and occassionally I have to resort to a 3/4 drive MONSTER air gun.[/FYI]

Alex W.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,353 Posts
That crank bolt is a PITA. I used a breaker bar with a 4 foot pole at the end of it, and cranked it from the top. The car was also in 6th gear and the rear wheels were on the ground.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
crank bolt is easy as hell.. just attach the breaker bar, position so it rests on the ground, and tap the starter.. easy.. :)

Takes less than 10 seconds total to remove the crank bolt.

I am a total novice, and I changed my timing belt, front main seal, and cam seals in 5 hours.

It is real easy, just follow the repair manual to the letter (minus the special tools) and you will do fine.

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
Gadfly said:
crank bolt is easy as hell.. just attach the breaker bar, position so it rests on the ground, and tap the starter.. easy.. :)
Just make sure the breaker bar is on the right side of the ground so when the engine cranks (clockwise right!?) the breaker bar is forced against the ground when the nut tries to rotate. The procedure is easy but scary as hell IMO.

I would say torqueing the nut down is much more difficult since there is some play in the drive line.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts