Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New turbo smokes.
Help please to any one who knows the difference between a CARBON SEAL AND A DYNAMIC SEAL.
All the turbo guys are telling me that my diesel turbo has a CArbon seal and it needs a DYNAMIC SEAL.
WTF?
New turbo and it smokes with just 60 miles on it.
WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF!!!!!!?!?!?!?!!?!??!?!!?!?!?
This turbo is brand new and it is sucking oil out the rear of the housing.... WTF?
-This is the second turbo to do this.
-The turbo oil return line is perfect (size, placement, location etc no clogs/kinks either).
-Just for you rajunz.... I have negative vacuum on the crankcase so I know the oil has to be sucked from the turbo into the block... and I have the vent lines off the top of the valve covers into a vent can, then one single line into the intake.
-The turbo catridge is straight up and down.
-Running 40-60# psi
-Mobil one 20w50
-Also tried 10w30 with no help.
-Turbo was BRAND NEW so don't give me the "You can't change from conventional oil to synthetic it will ruin the seals..." crap.

Any of the turbo gurus please chime in on this.
I am over the supra. Great potential, have lots of money invested into the car, but this is starting to get old.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
And the turbo smoking is the Supra's fault, how? I missed that part, maybe you can explain.

As soon as I saw diesel turbo, I knew I should've skipped this thread. :p

Good luck.

W

·
0 Posts
Larry_A said:
And the turbo smoking is the Supra's fault, how? I missed that part, maybe you can explain.

Good luck.

:lol:

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
okay. take a close look at the turbo design differences for deisel and gasoline engines. (HELL take a look at deisel engines compared to gasoline in general. Deisels have a completely different style of ignition, MUCH higher compression, and the deisel produces much more power at lower rpms.) You would also have to look at the design specifications for oil feed and drain. I'm not exactly certain, but something tells me that a deisel turbo will need different lubrication and cooling requirments as compared to a gasoline turbo. The boost response will also be very different when compared with a gasoline turbo. Specifically, what i would look at, is maybe you are feeding the turbo too much oil or too quickly providing that oil. Diesel engines also require different weights of oil and have different sump configurations. all this needs to be considered. but maybe you already did all this, maybe i'm just completly wrong. just lettin ya know.

A

·
0 Posts
Larry_A said:

Good luck.

:agreed:

·
Boost is my drug!
1,319 Posts
when you install the turbo DID you prime it with oil before installing it...

when starting up .. did you rev the gas to bring the oil pressure up??

maybe the turbo was rebuilt bad.. this sounds like your turbine ring seal went out.

its easily replaced unless its already severly damaged that it needs a rebuilt..

always prime oil before installing.. always let the engine crank over to bring oil pressure on its own. DO NOT REV engine until the oil pressure registered in the gauge.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
jong said:
..... maybe you are feeding the turbo too much oil or too quickly providing that oil. .....
Excellent point.

Observe- the oil inlet for my TO-4E:

Too much = :nono:

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm.... I will take a gamble at tooo much earl.....
How would you guys suggest slowing down the oil since the feed is not a flange type like Larry_A's picture above.... it is a AN-4 fitting.
As for the rest of you guys boooing me on the diesel application... I was just trying to be the brave soldier going forward in uncharted territory to make the world of supras and turbo's cheaper for all of us cheap ass MK3 crowd... And don't give me crap about that cause MOST OF us MK3 guys are HORRIBLE CHEAP ASSES! After all.... diesel turbos are huge, every where, and bought for cheap!
Larry_A.... who made that flange and how did they or you know this flange and the hole size was right.
Dust.... yes I did prime the turbo. No I did not rev the engine for at least 2 mins after start. Yes I DID PRIME THE OIL SYSTEM FOR 30 SECONDS OF NO-FUEL STARTING BY REMOVING THE EFI SYSTEM FUSE.
The turbo was BRAND NEW! Bought it new in the box, but it was a surplus sale, so no returns. BUMMER. Good thing I got it for cheap.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,151 Posts
Larry_A said:
Excellent point.

Observe- the oil inlet for my TO-4E:

Too much = :nono:
wow thats really small Larry.... I have a -6 line on my turbo feed right now will be swaping it for my braded -4 but I **** EDIT *****HAVEN'T had problems.

Sorry I have no idea about the oil leak... I know my turbo is off a truck.. well most t04b's are ment for a truck but it was bulit specifically for my specs t04b 62-1 p wheel .84 housing. (wanted .70)

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah like Zazzn said... WTF?!!!! WHERE DO YOU REALLY THINK A TO4E AND THE TO4 SERIES COMES FROM! The TO4e is found ALOT on JOHN DEERE COMBINES!!!! BWUWUWWHWHWHWHWWHWHWAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHA

·
Boost is my drug!
1,319 Posts
ok good just to clarify if you were doing it right..

the oil pressure inlet hole is too small. it creates high impendance on the oil supply . i think thats supposed to be good but dont know if it would work with THICK oil..

-4an hole opening is perfect the turbo needs MORE oil at HIGH boost for better flowing and lubrication on the bearings. but every car is different..

I think its a bad ring seal.. get your turbo inspected. or if u know how. then reassemble it and get the ring seal out and look at it for any grooves and u will know that it went out.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,151 Posts
BTW guys I run 20w50 with lucus additive (looks like glue when it comes out) speically cold... took 5 min just to get it in there.. damn....

Anyhow...

As I said no problems?

I think it's a bad rebulid.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Most diesels turbo's are only oil supplied and drained no water cooling. Caterpillar tried it back in the 70's and it failed miserablely. I've used many T04 B's and E's off 466 International applications on cars. The only time seals really come into play is draw through applications all diesels are blow through that I've seen. They run anywhere from 90 psi of oil pressure cold to 20 at idle at operating temp. They also use as small as no#4 to as big as no#10 feed lines for variable sizes of turbo's. Even on diesels the seals in the turbo's still have to do the same things.

S

·
0 Posts
I've checked some turbo books about the seal design, and just like X-man stated, it shouldn't matter if it is a diesel unit or not in this regard. Unless you have the throttle body before the turbocharger (I hope you don't :) ), troubleshoot this just like any other leaking turbo.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
mdcmotorsports said:
.....Larry_A.... who made that flange and how did they or you know this flange and the hole size was right......
Part of the HK$ full turbine upgrade kit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts