Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night when I was driving to Santa Cruz on HWY17 I got a little throttle happy on the turns. When I down shifted to get past a car that moved to the right for me and shifted again, my Speedo just died. When I finally got to the beach, I let the car cool down for about 5 minutes. When we were all done, I saw a BIG puddle under my car on the passanger side. I just said to myself, ok don't drive it too hard. Now today, I went for band practice, and I could BARELY drive my car. My power steering went out. THis is the 2nd time this happened to me for the speedo cable and the high pressure line for the ps. Is this normal? Someone PM me if you have those parts :)

· Registered
3,965 Posts
where did you get the PS line? it might not be the line though, it could be the pump, rack, or returns...

speedo cable is like 3 pieces, one might break, you replace, and another one breaks...

· Registered
7,853 Posts
JtWo said:
PS line from the junk, it looked good from the outside and near damn flawless on the inside.

how could you tell through the entire length of the line?

should have done the SS braided conversion and be done with it ;)

· Registered
3,965 Posts
a stock replacement line will be fine, the first one lasted well over 10 years....

They fail because of age and use, the junk car has just as much age, and maybe more use, use a new one and never mess with it again...

· 92 TURBO
1,786 Posts
Poodles said:
lol, i got mine WAY cheaper from an auto parts store...
^ NO DOUBT, because it's way cheaper in quality & will NEVER last as long as the OEM did. Mine's still the original on my 92t, 14 +years (5-92 DOM) If it goes, OEM for me. I don't care if it's up to $400 from Toyota . I just hope it's still available if I need it.
Mike

· Registered
3,965 Posts
ahem...

sorry to burst your bubble, but the stuff you buy from toyota has no warranty, has been sitting on a shelf in some warehouse for as long as the car has existed, and isn't any better quality

the one I bought had a lifetime warranty, was made better, and had guards on it to prevent scuffs from areas that get worn unlike the stocker

the aftermarket is soooo bad, yet that's where all the performance parts come from :rolleyes:

· 92 TURBO
1,786 Posts
Poodles said:
ahem...

sorry to burst your bubble, but the stuff you buy from toyota has no warranty, has been sitting on a shelf in some warehouse for as long as the car has existed, and isn't any better quality

^ And how do know this? BTW, Toyota has 1 year on parts.

the one I bought had a lifetime warranty, was made better, and had guards on it to prevent scuffs from areas that get worn unlike the stocker

^ A lifetime warranty means nothing. It does not make it a better part. You can get a lifetime warranty on Duralast rotors at Autozone and they are junk from China, does that make it a better part?

the aftermarket is soooo bad, yet that's where all the performance parts come from :rolleyes:
^ A lot come from China.

· Registered
3,965 Posts
obviously you neglected the fact that the part was IMPROVED over the stocker, nice selective reading you have...

P.S. it was made in the USA

· 92 TURBO
1,786 Posts
Poodles said:
obviously you neglected the fact that the part was IMPROVED over the stocker, nice selective reading you have...

P.S. it was made in the USA
^ No selective reading here. Putting guards on a hose when NOT required doesn't make it a better or improved part over the stock part. That just tells me that it probably is a multiple application part designed to fit more models than the stock one. If it fit precisely and was installed correctly it wouldn't be chaffing against anything and so it wouldn't need guards. My original stock lines don't chaff against anything.

P.S. IMO, made in the USA means nothing anymore. It's profits over quality. Cost per unit to manufacture is always the #1 priority.

Mike

· 25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,348 Posts
Braided setup with AN fittings would be best, but then there are some really nice Parker fittings and hose out there that will outlast your car. (Seriously.)

So buy what you want, but when mine goes, it's either the AN stuff, or Parker line and fittings for my car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.