Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
man o man. so car is running fine all day. after work i get in, and start it up and i hear a god awful high pitch sound that gets louder with rpms. sounds like metal clanging around.....but the car ran fine. by the time i got home, the sound had gotten MINIMALLY better, but still very audible. what could this be?? it idled fine and drove fine. BTW, its like -5 degrees out here. but it has been for weeks. never did anything like this. any ideas? yes i checked the oil.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,095 Posts
Turbo?

:edit:

I didn't read the clanking part.... that may be a bad exhaust mani leak.

odd, but what probably happened is.

There is a leak at the mani, when you shut the car off the hole sucks in -5 degrees of cold air, and warps your valves... and now you have a horrible valve seat clank.

maybe....wait till it warms up out.

Or go over your manifold studs, and check for some carbon debris around the edges.

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
Valve clearances slipped? Rod knock (lets hope not)? i actually had an exhaust leak that sounded like that once. Check the flange gaskets on the cat.

·
GIT-R-DONE YALL HEAR
491 Posts
if it is high pitch whining it could be your turbo, you also contridict your self, it cant be clanging and whining sound at the same time.

clanging-can be a rod-knock
whining - your turbo
nick

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
SupraMkiii24 said:
Also belts in cold weather make a high pitch squeling noise.
Ummm... I don't think the cold, directly, has anything to do with belt noise. A belt that is to tight or too loose will make high-piched squeeling though ... for sure.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this was 100% without a doubt NOT A BELT SOUND. no way in hell. this was scary. im thinking of having it towed type of scary.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SupraMOB said:
if it is high pitch whining it could be your turbo, you also contridict your self, it cant be clanging and whining sound at the same time.

clanging-can be a rod-knock
whining - your turbo
nick
why not? didnt sound like turbo because it did it as soon as i started the car at idle. it was loud. jesus it was f'ed up, i never heard a sound like this. sounded like shit was gonna come flying loose out of the engine. definetly had a metal sound to it. like metal rattleing around at a high rate of speed.

·
Classic Cars = Secks
490 Posts
When my power steering pump ran low on fluid it made horrible whining sounds. Is that a possibility?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not so much whining guys.....more like if you took a metal bowl full of BBs and shook the balls out of it.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so if it is rod knock....what is that? and more important how much to fix?

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
Don't listen to "Bunnell". Not a rod knock. Rod is a connecting piece that connects a piston to a crank. If it were "knocking" .. you'd hear a "knock" .. make sense? ... Good.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
moneypit said:
not so much whining guys.....more like if you took a metal bowl full of BBs and shook the balls out of it.
That doesn't sound like rod knock at all. Rod knock sounds like someone slamming a 2x4 into the side of your block.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I hate to suggest it, but that sounds an awful lot like something loose grinding against the turbo blades.

I'm going to ask the obvious - you're sure it's RPM related, as in, it happens with the car out of gear? Not a dry rear diff?

You could have destroyed a spring or six in the clutch, and the pieces are rattling around in between the flywheel and the pressure plate... I did that once. That would sound terrible and be RPM related.

Realistically, if there is oil in the engine, then there are only a few places that can create that kind of sound. And they are all external to the engine...

Pull your accordian hose, check for shaft play in the turbo. Check that you still have any fan blades while you're in there. :)

Next, I'd pull the plugs and try to spin over the engine with the main pulley bolt and a big ratchet. If that doesn't feel smooth, you have problems. If it makes noise, try to narrow down the location.

You can pull the timing belt cover and check for something rattling in there. No oil in there, so anything loose would sound awful.

If it still cranks, it can't be a jammed starter. If it still runs ok, albeit noisily, I don't think it can be anything in the actual cylinders.

Damn... now I'm curious! Be sure to let us know the end results.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GrimJack said:

I'm going to ask the obvious - you're sure it's RPM related, as in, it happens with the car out of gear? Not a dry rear diff?

as soon as i fire her up......bam. there it is. in nuetral. as the rpms goes up.....it gets louder.

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
have someone start it for you and inspect where the noise is coming from.. I got this freaked out when my alt. belt started slipping so i'm a bit hesitant to blame something serious. narrow down your options... Start the car and let it idle. Then deteremine what changed the pitch of the sound...

Move the steering, turn on/off as many electrical devices as possible, push the brakes, clutch, rev the rpms, get out and feel for vibrations and sounds.... you gotta check this up

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like turbo shaft play. Remove the turbo boot and grab the turbo shaft with 2 fingers and gently see if it moves. It shouldn't want to move freely at all and remember the other end of the shaft on the exhaust side is usually in worse shape than the front side.

Do you usually idle the car for at least 1 minute before you get out?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts