Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
5,059 Posts
Well I got a 1998 hardtop quicksilver for $21k with 49k miles.
A TT quicksilver would normally go for mid $40's++
With the money saved, 1 hell of a supra can be built.

·
11,221 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with NA's much :dunno:

The funny thing is, "reserve not met". About the only way to find a nice, clean, low mialege Supra is to go NA now (with the exception of a few nicely kept TT's).

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It makes no sense because clean TT's can be had for 30k. In order to buy that NA for 20 and turn it into a TT, it will cost more than 10 grand. Motor, transmission, rear, suspension, brakes, wheels, trac. control(if necessary), and labor. That will eclipse 10 grand in a heartbeat, so are you really saving yourself any money. Answer is no. Also what is the point of saying, its cleana nd low mileage(the NA) when your gonna tear it down to nothing and replace everything, lol. It just makes zero sense to me. Why not buy a high mileage NA if you want to do this since you will be replacing everything? I also would never spend 30K on a TT, but thats besides the point.

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
michaelvanle said:
I don't see anything wrong with NA's much :dunno:

The funny thing is, "reserve not met". About the only way to find a nice, clean, low mialege Supra is to go NA now (with the exception of a few nicely kept TT's).
Who cares if its low mileage and clean? You are changing every important part on the car that mileage would effect. Basically why spend $$$ on a car to rip it apart and spend more $$$ on it. In the end lot of time spent and money wasted.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
lis2k said:
Who cares if its low mileage and clean? You are changing every important part on the car that mileage would effect. Basically why spend $$$ on a car to rip it apart and spend more $$$ on it. In the end lot of time spent and money wasted.
reuse low mileage NA block to go TT: FREE
TT head, ECU, harness, intake and stock twins: $2,500
Water, oil and fuel pumps: $300
Clutch for 5spd: $500
TT brakes: $400
misc sensors: $500
stock SMIC & pipes: $100
add an extra $2,500 misc parts/expenses

do the labor yourself...

total $6,800.

true you just paid about $27,000 for your car and had to do some work but you got a clean body and interior, low miles... It's not much cost savings - but it's easier to find an NA than a TT in good condition, plus you don't have to spend all that $ at once. Some people don't get a full $27,000 loan but they qualify for a $20,000 loan - then they can save up and buy the parts as they go along... you're left with a $27,000 TT with a lot of new shit, new gaskets and seals, and in better condition than other TT's... the 5spd tranny has held over 630rwhp without breaking.

·
Registered
101 Posts
NA-T is a simple $5k kit.....

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
Deltaa00 said:
NA-T is a simple $5k kit.....
true.. but you also haven't added a clutch and brakes yet... exhaust isn't included in the NA-T kit either is it? plus with NA-T kit you also have to spend $ on tuning, and others so it ends up about the same as a TT conversion/swap.

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats amazing that your 5 speed tranny has held that much power so far. When i had my SC300 5 speed word was 550 horse tops was what that tranny could hold and that it would be a ticking time bomb. It may have lasted you this long, but eventually you will still need to replace it with a 6 speed so add that into the price of what you spent already, and those are not cheap. I hear what your saying about not having all the money at once. But if you did, just get the TT.
As for a NA-T for 5K, it will never run like a TT will. I read and read and read about NA-t's and spoke with people with both supras and SC's who were NA-T and all of them advised me against it. One was even a local friend who was selling his NA-T supra and swayed me away from it saying i would never be happy with it. I know the NA-T can provide power and lot of it, but it requires $$$$$ to have it run reliable and not on insane psi levels. If i was inclined to do a NA-T, i would do a SC300 instead of a supra. Can find a real clean SC300 5 speed for 10 grand or less. I sold mine for $7,500.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
red 93.5TT 6 speed BONE STOCK theft recovery(recovered with a lot of dings and cracked windshield, stereo missing and door panels missing and odometer missing)
dude you say you won't pay $30,000 for a TT but you're spending just about that much replacing all the broken crap on your car after you paid somewhat under $20,000 for it? :dunno: Now you're getting everything done for $18,000 extra? Same thing as getting a very clean, low mileage NA and converting to turbo no?

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You mis-understood me. With all the repairs and replaceing parts and BPU stuff and the price of the car, its 18! Not 18 in parts and work, 18 grand total.

·
Vietnamese Supra Owner
615 Posts
considering im from saskatchewan, theirs probably only half a dozen of supras down here(only 2 that i know of). a buddy of mine owns a 94 n/a and hes asking $29,000 for it. which i think is retarded. but some might beg a differ cause depending on where your located is where the value goes up. the demand of supras is high which makes it more valueble down here. but in some other places such as las vegas, their everywhere! (god i wish i lived in vegas)

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
that car is being sold through a dealership and has low mileage... of course they are going to jack up the price on it. They probably got it on a trade in and gave the guy 12,000 for it, and turn around and sell it for over 20,000.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
lis2k said:
You mis-understood me. With all the repairs and replaceing parts and BPU stuff and the price of the car, its 18! Not 18 in parts and work, 18 grand total.
oh! ok.. well you got a hell of a deal :bigthumb:

by the way just for the record I wasn't the one who put all that power through my tranny but it's been done. I was pushing a little over 400 rwhp through mine with no issues though. As long as you're not stupid with it it'll hold. It just doesn't do well with jolty, hard shifts or high rev clutch drops on sticky tires.

You can get a rebuilt 6spd for $2,000... I turboed my car 3 years ago last month and I haven't had to swap to the 6spd yet but I might by the end of the year simply cause I'm going single and I have some $ now that I didn't before... Or I can just wait til the increased power from the single blows it up to get it. :)

·
Bad Texan Boy
4,266 Posts
I wonder how much I can sell mine for? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SupraTico said:
oh! ok.. well you got a hell of a deal :bigthumb:

by the way just for the record I wasn't the one who put all that power through my tranny but it's been done. I was pushing a little over 400 rwhp through mine with no issues though. As long as you're not stupid with it it'll hold. It just doesn't do well with jolty, hard shifts or high rev clutch drops on sticky tires.

You can get a rebuilt 6spd for $2,000... I turboed my car 3 years ago last month and I haven't had to swap to the 6spd yet but I might by the end of the year simply cause I'm going single and I have some $ now that I didn't before... Or I can just wait til the increased power from the single blows it up to get it. :)
You can find messed up 6 speeds for 800. I believe Jeff Watson rebuilds them and have heard he does a heck of a job. Depends what parts of the tranny you want changed out on the price. I had a 6 speed that i bought to put in my SC, but then bought the supra, sold the spare 6 speed and recently the SC. Over the winter i might have my tranny rebuilt just so i know i won't run into any problems in the future. What single are you going to run? I cannot make up my mind...

1 - 20 of 66 Posts