Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey after reading alot about type of oil to you its scaring me...

heres the stats on my car
-87 turbo
-with 190k miles
-tipical exhaust/intake and someother stuff mod...

ive been running a valvaline SYN POWER FULL synthetic 10 w 30

i couldnt really tell if there was a def b/c the day i got the car i change the oil to the one stated above... been running the car on this oil for about 6 months now... and change oil and filter every 3000 miles...
my car doesnt leak oil

should i change my brand of oil? and the wiegh/rating to?

ive read that synthetic oil dont mix well with high milages so what oild should i use...

im in the bay area(north cal) so its getting preaty hot.. any input would be nice

·
Registered
391 Posts
y do u think ur running wrong oil?
i run 10W30 Amsoil full synthetic on an engine with 200K and it's fine..... it actually seemed to have started running smoother after switching to the synthetic....

Andriy

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
or if you can afford changing it every 3000 miles. full sythentic is suppose to be changed around every 5,000 miles...or what it 10,000?

·
FTG & the IRL!
186 Posts
Amsoil is great stuff! I second that, no problems after switching . . .

Trowa said:
y do u think ur running wrong oil?
i run 10W30 Amsoil full synthetic on an engine with 200K and it's fine..... it actually seemed to have started running smoother after switching to the synthetic....

Andriy

·
Moderator, Aight Peace
6,130 Posts
I run straight 60wt from vavoline... aight peace :chicken:

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
90 wt here!

·
Registered
189 Posts
20w50 Mobile1 synthetic in hot as hell Florida. Last time I pulled the head it was clean as a whistle.

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
BoostAddctn said:
I run straight 60wt from vavoline... aight peace :chicken:
I run the SAE 50 valvoline race oil they have.... mainly because I fear blowby from my tired engine, and the thicker oil really seemed to help reduce it.

·
Moderator, Aight Peace
6,130 Posts
hoser813 said:
I run the SAE 50 valvoline race oil they have.... mainly because I fear blowby from my tired engine, and the thicker oil really seemed to help reduce it.
Yup I use the 60wt valvoline race oil, holds oil pressure fine and no problems yet, been running it for about 4 months now... aight peace :chicken:

·
1991 1JZ
1,157 Posts
i like 10w40 and 15w40 my self, except you dont see 15w40 around too much, i think diesel trucks use it more than cars do.

the afformentioned weights always gave me nice oil pressure at idle, thats with the stock gte oil cooler set up.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
ive never even seen a 60wt!! :O

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
5w30 in the winters of chicago... 15w50 in the summers... always mobil one synthetic

T

·
0 Posts
$pecialk91turbo said:
20w50 Mobile1 synthetic in hot as hell Florida. Last time I pulled the head it was clean as a whistle.
Where do you get 20w50 Mobil1? I can only find info on 15w50. Even their site doesn't have Mobil1 listed that high. :(

·
Moderator, Aight Peace
6,130 Posts
stratoayu said:
you guys arnt having problems running a 60wt in the winter?
Nope, I live in CALIFORNIA :) aight peace :chicken:

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
i just run 10 w40 castrol regular shit but i put about 7k miles on the car this year, although it runs real smooth and when i popped the valve covers off it was real clean, no varnish!!!

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
what the... i havent even seen those 60wt, 90wt , etc..

anywho back to hp's question.

if your car is running FINE in the oil that your using now WHY CHANGE IT? WHEN you change oils(rate) your risking your engine IMO. WHY change something that works already right?

im running same thing as you and when i took out the valve covers to replace the egr cooler my crankshaft is SQUICKY CLEAN AND I MEAN SQUICKY CLEAN...when or if i rebuilt my engine the internals will prolly be in the same condition...

i change my oil around 2500k to 3000k...

i dont like it when my oil starts to turn black...

·
DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
2,022 Posts
bla bla bla blaaaa, another oil thread. SYNTHETIC IS FINE IF YOU DONT HAVE ANY OIL LEAKS! IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU HAVE 4562762472 MILES!!! Redline 10w30 and 10w40 in all my cars, and a bottle of oil treatment. My supra has about 230 k and the MR2 has 184k. It's what is keeping them alive.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts