Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I wanna say first off that I did search and couldn't find exactly what I needed, so this is where I'm at:

I've got a 2002 recently boosted IS300. I'm running a R-154 five speed transmission with a custom driveshaft from The Driveshaft Shop. That all mates up with my KAAZ 2-way LSD with about 500 miles on it, wrapped in the IS300's stock housing. The car is untuned at the moment, however it should be pushing a little over 400whp at 12psi.

The entire drivetrain, including the diff., was installed about a month and a half ago. Once finished, I took the car on a 150 mile drive back home. Upon arriving home, I noticed the entire rear section of my car covered in diff. fluid!!! My friends and I cleaned the car, refilled the diff, and watched for the leak. As best we could tell, it was coming from the axle seals.

The car was picked up by the shop owner and hauled back for a fix. The lsd was taken out, taken apart, sent to a machine shop, checked for damage and tolerances, fixed, sent back to the shop and reinstalled inside of a different IS300 housing. The seals were replaced, so on and so forth.

Within twenty miles of driving, it was leaking BAD all over again. The car is currently at the shop being worked on again. WHAT IS GOING ON??? The shop owner is throwing in a used MK3 lsd for the time being, but I've gotta have something in there that can hold 600whp+ plus power by the Spring. Has anybody ever seen this before???

·
4,623 Posts
Maybe the Axel Seals weren't Lubed up, and ripped. Maybe the stubs have some scratches or were installed on the wrong sides. :(

to my knowledge i thought stock IS300 torsen to my knowledge held some good power...maybe it suffers like the 1JZ torsen lol.

If you can have the MK3 Diff Rebuilt; that'll hold power well. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm getting conflicting information with regards to the IS300's stock LSD. Some people are saying that they're good for around 400 foot lbs of torque while others are saying they're good for much more.

The mk3 diff is not rebuilt and has at least 60k miles on it. I'm just hoping it will get me through the winter with a low boost tune.

The seals most definitely ripped, however I've gotta imagine that the dude doing the work made sure to lube them up first. I'll run this stuff by my guy and see what he thinks.

Any other suggestions, advice, stories, etc?

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
9,940 Posts
Stock diffs with fresh rebuilds will last at that power level.
Follow the rebuilding/refreshing guide Dave C posted.

I'm running over 640hp through mine, no issues. (yet)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok, awesome - I'll tell Max to rebuild the mk3 diff before installation then. That should do the trick I guess. The plan is to run the car at 18psi or so once it gets tuned by SRT, at which time I should be making around 500whp. If your diff. is holding 650, then I should be golden.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It really sucks - the original plan was a TRD rear, but the earliest we could get it was in october - and that was back in august that we were looking for one!!! That is ridiculous.

·
KBR
2,910 Posts
I bet that whoever put your Kaaz LSD didnt do the job right. coz if it was installed properly, they shouldve changed all the seals, bearings and checked the clearance.

aite, peace.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I bet that whoever put your Kaaz LSD didnt do the job right. coz if it was installed properly, they shouldve changed all the seals, bearings and checked the clearance.

aite, peace.
I would tend to agree, but the guy that did my work really knows his stuff and I know for a fact that everything you mentioned was checked and rechecked both times. The diff was even sent out to a machine/auto shop and the owner, who has dropped in countless street and race rear-ends, gave it the green light both times.

I know the most likely solution is normally the obvious - that it is being installed wrong. But I'm pretty sure this dude is doing everything right. I was on the phone with Swift Racing Technologies the other day asking them about it because I had to cancel my tune with them, and Rob over there actually suggested that one or more of the suspension components may be out of spec. For example, maybe something is pulling my axle on way or another and causing a leak. I dunno.....we shall see. If this supra rear doesn't fit like a glove and keep from leaking then at least we'll know it isn't the Kaaz LSD.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what condition is your differential vent in? if it is plugged, no seal is going to stop oil from being spit out when it expands from the heat of operation.
I'll check on that.

I appreciate the help guys. I understand that I'm new here and don't even own a Supra (yet) so I wanna say thanks for the advice thus far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts