Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
1jz >
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just took the screen off my MAF (turned it upside down), i put an intake (generic 3" cone), gutted my stock NA cats. before all that, i was NEVER able to take on my friends GST like i did just today after doing that... i need to do some other mods like the coolant bypass mod and the egr mod but i really need pictures... i dont wanna do the wrong thing wrong. please send pics of how to do the EGR mod on the NA and the coolant Bypass mod...
how much HP do you think i have so far?

whats the difference between a generic cone filter and a K&N?
how much of a performance difference and sound difference?
i havent noticed much of a gain from my intake since i got it.

what else can i do to my car to make it faster? show me those little tricks of yours. or any one else on this thread

~Adrian

S

·
0 Posts
yeah i'm interested in these small mods...
Also, besides the MAF mod, are they only for US spec Supra's?
the coolant bypass mod sounds a bit dangerous?? what are you bypassing anyway?
btw, what's an EGR?

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
SupraChigga03 said:
yeah i'm interested in these small mods...
Also, besides the MAF mod, are they only for US spec Supra's?
the coolant bypass mod sounds a bit dangerous?? what are you bypassing anyway?
btw, what's an EGR?
Yeah you guys in Australia use a MAP sensor on your cars so you dont have the restriction of the MAF on your intake. The coolant bypasses the throttle body and that is all, basically keeps the warmer coolant from going through the throttle body and warming up the outside metal of the throttle body when the car is at warmer temperatures. EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation more emission BS we have over here in the states I dont think the Australian Supras use it. It recirculates some of your exhaust gas back into the intake so that it can be "recycled" and not put out back into the atmosphere as much as without the EGR.

·
1jz >
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
omg!

OMG!!! DUDE i barely posted this thread like 3 mins ago... how the hell did you write back so fast?!?!

~ADrian

·
Supra Member
1,822 Posts
Re: omg!

Oni mkiv said:
OMG!!! DUDE i barely posted this thread like 3 mins ago... how the hell did you write back so fast?!?!

~ADrian

if u look at the timestamp, it was almost 40 minutes ago. :p

·
1jz >
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so does any one know of any other nick nacks they can do on their car to improve performance or sound? assuming the obvious wich is to by performance parts

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
yep you aussies dont really have the bottlenecks in your cars like us americans. i will try and take some pics today for you as i have to change my sparkplugs anyways. i am hopefully dynoing this coming wednesday i am just doing the odd and ends on my car before then .

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,284 Posts
only if you care about passing emissions....

Oni mkiv: so your telling me that removing the maf screen and turning the maf upside actually yields a noticable gain, and the idle doesnt get all goofy?

side note: be careful where you store the stock maf screen, theyre very delicate from what ive heard. never taken mine out to see for sure though.

S

·
0 Posts
yeah we have a MAP sensor and no EGR shite.

but the coolant bypass... i'd like to know more.

like diagrams on how to do it...

...and after you do this mod 'what will happen' and 'what will not happen' sort of thing.

thanks

·
1jz >
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Blacksupra: man you're too late, i already messed my screen... i dont plan on getting my smog legally anyway. ive done too much to my car already and probably just gonna get it done illegally.

anyhow, are there any supras in LA area? i'd like to get together with some of you. i know there are torrance supra meets but the majority are mkiii's and i kinda wanna ride with some other mkiv's.

what are the best spark plug wires, and what size?

whats better, hks twin spark or MSD ignition setup?

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,284 Posts
ONI: so your saying your screen isnt usable anymore?

also. can you honestly say you notice a performance gain from just turning the MAF upside down and taking the screen out. exactly how delicate is that screen?

·
1jz >
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
by the way, ryan. i took out the sound dampener and my intake sounds INSANE!!!. it totally drowns out my exhaust. i havent noticed any performance gains. its probably too subtle to notice. but there is definately a sound difference. i did notice a better response in lower rpms but not much.

does any one know where a breather goes? ive heard crank case, then i hear right in the intake hose. what do you think guys. ive seen cars with multiple breathers.

by the way, the sound dampener is that big plastic canister right after the MAF. all i did was take out the canister and sealed it with duct tape.

~Adrian

·
1jz >
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the MAF screen is as delecate as alluminum foil.

about turning it upside down, ryan suggests that it helps your idle.

actually i think it made my idle a bit worse. im gonna try turning it right side up again and see if it proves true for my car.

people please answer my other questions up on top about the spark plug wires and the other ?'s

~Adrian

·
1jz >
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
by the way, ryan. i took out the sound dampener and my intake sounds INSANE!!!. it totally drowns out my exhaust. i havent noticed any performance gains. its probably too subtle to notice. but there is definately a sound difference. i did notice a better response in lower rpms but not much.

does any one know where a breather goes? ive heard crank case, then i hear right in the intake hose. what do you think guys. ive seen cars with multiple breathers.

by the way, the sound dampener is that big plastic canister right after the MAF. all i did was take out the canister and sealed it with duct tape.

~Adrian

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,284 Posts
dont know much about ignitions.

Personally I'd stay with stock wires. theyre a special thickness straight from toyota...i dont think theyre your normal run of the mill wires. mine lasted 10 years no problem...so i just got new toyota ones. There arent too many choices for NA mkiv's.

R

·
0 Posts
Jarrett at PHR ran the stock wires up to 700rwhp and never had a problem.

Ryan

S

·
0 Posts
SupraChigga03 said:
yeah we have a MAP sensor and no EGR shite.

but the coolant bypass... i'd like to know more.

like diagrams on how to do it...

...and after you do this mod 'what will happen' and 'what will not happen' sort of thing.

thanks
anyone?

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
SupraChigga03 said:
Underneath your throttle body there is a coolant line going to it. You might have noticed haveing to remove it if you have ever taken off your throttle body. Anyway remove the coolant line on BOTH sides of the throttle body and either plug the lines or run them together some how. This keeps the coolant from going through the throttle body and it just "bypasses" it and goes right back into the coolant system.

This will result in the throttle body being cooler when the car get up to operating temperature and the warmer coolant would not longer be cycled through it. However you will scarifice your cars ability to cold start. I dont know how cold it gets down under so I dont know if you would have to worry about that.

Hope this helps,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts