Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
PTE 71mm dbb
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just installed my xenon on my supra mkiv, and it shut down after about 10 sec or flicker.

In the instructions it says to change the relay to a bigger that bear more than 15A. So I wonder how much does the original relay bear, and what have you guys used for relay to make it work?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I bought a xenon kit that plugs into the low beam just plag and play, no relays no fuses had no problems with it, if its flickering could be a bad connection or a bad ballast

·
PTE 71mm dbb
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as it says it is just a plug and play in the original low beam. But the car wont seem to manage to turn both xenonlamps on the same time. It is just like its lack of electricy.
If I have just one connected it will light for about 4 sec then flicker and shut down.

In the instructions it says like this: If both lamps dont light at the same time or flicker, change battery to more than 60Ah, or add relays to bear more than 15A since it results from the lack of electric current.

And my battery is 65Ah.
I dont get it if other supra mkiv owners just plug and play and everything worked directly, why doesnt it work for me.

By the way the xenon lamps is 10 000 kelvin if that matters..

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
The Kelvin grade doesn´t matter at all. It´s just the light color.. In my case it was just plug and play. You may want to change the fuses to the next bigger one and try this. You can also check if there is a good ground at the wires.
Nothing else, like a relay had to be changed in my case.
If this all will not work out you could install a relay, use the existing light cables for the primary circuit and put a wire directly from the battery plus terminal to the secondary (load) circuit of the relay. You can also try a direct cable from the battery terminal to the input of the ballast and see if this will lighten up the bulb. If it still flickers it could be a defective unit.. Try also the other ballast for checking purposes.

Gerd

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
if your car is older, the harness interconnects might have some resistance. The reason theMFG suggests using the relays is because it forces you to install a direct path to the battery - with new connections. This will ensure that you are getting the full current required from the battery, whereas your original harness is probably not passing full current thru the various interconnects in your harness. I just got a nice set of HIDS and they include prewired relays so it's still PNP, but does get the juice right from the battery.

·
PTE 71mm dbb
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have checked both ballast and they are good.
But there is one lamp that flickers more than the other, can that be bad connections? Bad ground on the lamp?

I have managed to get one lamp to stay on for 2 min then I turned it of. Then I changed to the other lamp, and when it seems to reach full power it flickers and shut down.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Mhh, could also be a faulty bulb then. Try to interchange the bulbs also to verify the result. Ususally the big current draw is being produced at the first 2-3 seconds (startup) with around 18-20amps, afte rthat the draw is going down to around 7-8 amps load versus around 12 amps of a regular bulb.

So check this thing also and let us know.-Also the thing with a direct plus cable from the battery to the ballast would be helpful (as mentioned before) could help sorting it out.
Gerd

·
PTE 71mm dbb
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when the car is running 1 bulb always work, but the other one just flicker a little then shut down.
I think its bad.

Have also tested the battery directly to the ballast, and the "bad" bulb just flickers little so it has to be bad.

Hope they send me a new one witout any cost, but I dont think so.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
The main thing is that you work out the root cause and get it running finally. Good luck with a replacement.
Gerd

·
PTE 71mm dbb
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update.

My bulb was working anyway, when I turned on the car and tested one more time direct on the battery it started up. So thats one good thing,
But sometimes both lamps works at the same time, sometimes just one, and sometimes none.
Is it the same for you other mkiv owners with xenon? Or does your lights light up every time you start them?

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Mine start up everytime w/o a prob. I am using the OEM wires w/o any mods.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
You would laugh-I have a 44 or 54 AH (can´t remember exactly at the moment) because of the size (I have my overflow tank beneath it). I can even start them w/o the engine on and they work fine.
Either your connections are really bad or the stuff you bought suck somehow...
Can you bring it down once more: Are they working if connected directly with the battery terminals? If yes utilize a relay and if not the ballasts are crap (if the battery is in a good condition) I guess.

·
PTE 71mm dbb
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are working directly connected to the battery terminals.
I think my battery is in very good condition, but im gonna test with another battery later today and see if thats help.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
So in that case you might cosider using a relay. No biggie and just a few bucks.. Better than hasseling around with the current wiring.

·
PTE 71mm dbb
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I begin to think more and more that I have bought something crap.
I now think that the ballast sucks. The bulbs dont light every time when conected to the battery directly either.

Where have you bought your HID conversion kit? And what did it cost.?
(If you dont want to write it here, send a pm to me)

I will try to sell this one and buy another hopefully better xenon kit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You might as well piece toghether your own HID setup. You can buy the balasts and bulbs and wiring harnesses locally or on ebay, and you will definately get a more reliable HID setup. Go with OEM balasts from a lexus or something soimilar and something like philips bulbs would be good. Otherwise if you just want to get a direct plug and play kit that is pretty godd and reliable, see if you can find prolumen HID conversion kits for sale (even on ebay). I know these kits came with lifetime warranties, hopefully they still do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts