Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DEE RAWL
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so basically, I have my MK4 TT 6 spd now and I and not trying to get ahead of myself, so I want to plan now on how to invest the money in the car.

I've searched and talked to many somewhat knowledgable people and I am just curious what you guys think, some guys say start with fuel management, some say just start little like bpu then + then ++. I mean, I already have the HKS Ti exhaust now I just need to get a DP and put it on. I would love to just save up for going single but that may take quite a long time, especially because I don't want to half ass it. Then there is getting an intercooler, or cams.

Basically from your guys knowledge and experience, trial and error.

What would you guys recommend putting my money towards time wise?

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
560 Posts
I bought mine with a single, so i haven't gone through the stages. But, i would say get a full exhaust first, intake, then a fuel cut defender, and something like a Profec B for a boost controller. That should put a better smile on your face.....Next would be a FMIC and S AFC. After that, save up and go for a single (about $8-9K). Remeber when you get a single you'll prob need a new clutch and flywheel. AEM EM would help too.

·
DEE RAWL
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I'm pretty fortunate, I bought the car with the HKS ti exhaust (not installed though) no downpipe :(. It also came with hks intake, hks bov, greddy profec b which was also not installed. So overall it is all set for bpu just have to get a dp and put the exhaust and dp on.

thanks for the sugg

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
if you can go single do it.i went bpu ,bpu+ ect....waste of money for me since i knew in the long run i was going to go single.

·
DEE RAWL
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh yeah? so your saying don't bother just save up for single?

I mean thats what I wanted to do originally but then I got to thinking how long it would actually take realistically. I mean I could always just get fuel management since I need it anyways..but I'm just thinking.

?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
If you install a boost controller you are now forced to monitor the A/F and possibly trim the fuel with some sort of MAF-signal fooler. I would do this before spending on a FMIC. Of course, nowadays, standalones are in vogue so start saving your pennies.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have a T-78 setup, but stock fuel :rolleyes: If your eventually going single, I would say

1) Get a Full exhaust
2) Sell your profec B
3) Put your intake on
4) Get a Walboro fuel pump (only $120)
5) Get AEM EMS

Then get it tuned. You'll need the Pump and AEM EMS for the single anyway. This should satisfy you untill you can save up for the single.

Eventually you can also get the Fuel system upgraded (Rails, injectors, regulator) cause you'll need that for the single 2.

hope this helps

Josh

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
Depends on the size of the single. What are the end goals for power output? There's plenty of small singles that spool faster and more predictable than the stock twins (in TTC mode) and are still managable by the stock fuel system. If you're planning to stay under 450-500 rwhp, then you may be able to get by with the stock fuel just fine.

You will want an exhaust.
You will want a downpipe (may sell with single, or adapt single to your DP)
Once you do those, you'll need a Fuel Cut Defense
Then add a boost controller (MBC or EBC....your preference)
You will want a FMIC
You will want adjustable cam gears (if you don't get aftermarket cams)

What are your power/use goals for the car? Those will probably dictate what modifications you will be interested in.

·
DEE RAWL
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turbo4reek said:
I have a T-78 setup, but stock fuel :rolleyes: If your eventually going single, I would say

1) Get a Full exhaust
2) Sell your profec B
3) Put your intake on
4) Get a Walboro fuel pump (only $120)
5) Get AEM EMS

Then get it tuned. You'll need the Pump and AEM EMS for the single anyway. This should satisfy you untill you can save up for the single.

Eventually you can also get the Fuel system upgraded (Rails, injectors, regulator) cause you'll need that for the single 2.

hope this helps

Josh

yeah thats what this guy that works at a shop was sayin...to get ems because I'll need it anyways. I already have the intake on just have to put the exhaust and a dp on.

and so you guys know.. I would like to hit 700 whp on race gas and anywhere between 500-600 on pump. but thats just kind of my general direction. Dynoextreme said they make a custom kit with a 61 trim turbo with a .81 a/r and I would be getting like in the 500's with race gas, but I don't know I can always just upgrade the turbo later because going from BPU to monster single is a big jump, so like I said I don't want to get ahead of myself.

·
DEE RAWL
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah I like the 78 its been proven..but alot of people say there are better turbos out there for the same money? it seems to me though that the t78 is the best bang for your buck though am I wrong?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts