Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, my car has a story behind it that i really cant even tell because i never looked into it, all i know is its a soldier and its still down for the cause.

ok, i know for sure my car has had 3 owners..... me, my uncles friend, and some guy(s) in cali., my uncles friend said he got it from cali, which i do believe him because when i got the car it had cali plates, said he had to have the engine replaced before he drove it back fron cali, he drove it from cali to oklahoma, got here and gave it rod knock.

i brought it off his hands with rod knock and took it under my wing and gave it another engine, its an n/a, which i have big plans for, anyway....

i know the car has had atleast 3 owners, been in atleast 3 states, california, oklahoma and now texas, and has had atleast 2 engine swaps with a salvage title over its head.

now also when i got the car, the damn tail lights didnt work. the tag on my car says its an 88 so i refered to my manual to check out the fuse diagram for 88's, they dont have a dome light 7.5A fuse like the 87 diagram does in slot 2, 88's are suppose to leave slot 2 blank, so when i go down to check my stop fuse in slot 2, its filled with a 7.5A fuse, something an 87 is suppose to have, not an 88.

now i know anyone could have put it there, but it bring me to start thinking, is my car an 88 or an 87, is there anyway to like check on the car what year it is? i really dont want to have to go through the state or anything just to check what year my car is. says its an 88, but thats from a sticker from who knows put it there.

so what do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Your VIN will tell you.

What is the last alpha letter in the VIN.

There should be a letter such as "G" (which is 1986) and then a 0 to signify it was made in the japan "supra plant", then a series of numbers which signifies production number.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
^^^ What he said, also, check the manufacturing date on your door jam.

Also, post pics of it, I'm pretty sure I can tell you what year it is.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
I'm kinda of curious to see what color mine was before I bough it. When I bought it the owned had painted it chameleon.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It could be an 86.5 too. The only way to decipher from an ass shot would be if it was originally turbo, as far as I know all three N/As looked the same from behind.

·
way over budget
664 Posts
didn't the listtle seatbelt guides on the sides of the seat start in '88? That, and/or the build date in the door jamb would give you a good idea.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Check my thread for when changes happened, but yes you're right, the seatbelt guides were added in 88, and since you have them, my guess is it's an 88, but you never know based on one thing.

Check the data tags/VIN, etc, it's the best way to know.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
10th digit of the VIN shows the year. A=1980, B=1981, but I, O, S, Z, Q, etc. arent used.
G = 86, H = 87, J = 88, K = 89, L = 90, M = 91, N = 92

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
ok, so i finally got around to checking the vin plate in my car, it says september 1987, but on my car title it has its a 1988 car....both the vins on the car and on the title match up, so which year do i go with, im guessin the one on the car right?

btw, i just find it odd how it has some of the setups as an 87, the fuses, but has alot of the features introduced in 88.

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
Its an 88, september of 87 would be yielded as an 88 car.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
SupraOfDoom said:
I'm kinda of curious to see what color mine was before I bough it. When I bought it the owned had painted it chameleon.
isnt your car gutted? just look at the paint behind the interior panels

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
DrumnBassBBoy said:
ok, so i finally got around to checking the vin plate in my car, it says september 1987, but on my car title it has its a 1988 car....both the vins on the car and on the title match up, so which year do i go with, im guessin the one on the car right?

btw, i just find it odd how it has some of the setups as an 87, the fuses, but has alot of the features introduced in 88.
What does it have that makes you think it's an 87?

Sept. 87 = 88 model. Your car is an 88.

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
hey Jeff you wouldn't know some trick way of finding out what month jdm cars are would you? we don't have stickers or anything to help us :(

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
It should say on the data tag I think, if not, the chassis number will tell you. Stamped on the firewall.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
K here = 89 w00t built early 89 so i'm guessing yellow plugs yuck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts