Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Band on the Run
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering is there anyway to clean the yellow headlights on a 94 supra. I know this is probably a common question but the search is crap for me. Thanks :)

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
you can take them out , sand the lense down with 600 or 800 grit sandpaper and have them clearcoater with automotive grade clearcoat,the spray can junk don't look as good and definately won't last long either, or just wetsand the lenses with 1500-2000 grit and polish them , it' will look good for a while, just keep polishing/waxing them once in a while

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
supratter said:
if you get them clearcoated how long does it usually last until you need to polish them again?
if you use a good grade catalized (the kind that has atleast two componenets and has to be applied with proffessional spray equipment) automotive refinishing clearcoat , it will last atleast 10 years

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
BeyondTheGrave77 said:
I was wondering is there anyway to clean the yellow headlights on a 94 supra.

Sure, get glass ones.

Glass > plastic garbage X's 182735637899202000000

After buying glass = now go polish your paint and forget all about popping lights open and wondering if you'll get em sealed back up, etc etc, drama, etc :D

·
Band on the Run
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Does anyone know where you can get glass headlights? I checked MVP and they only have the 97/98 style.

Edit I found some on MVP. But I have Another question How hard is the whole process of taking the headlights apart? I read the tutorial about putting them in the oven at 175 for about 5 mins then taking them out. Onec you pop them out how do you seal them?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Wet sand your headlights it works wonders.

I did one headlight yesterday on a Celica.

I taped off around the paint and used a little squirt bottle to keep the headlight and sandpaper wet.
I started out with 1800 grit then went to 2400 grit and finished it out with 3600 grit. After the sanding I polished it with Megs scratch ex.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
BeyondTheGrave77 said:
Does anyone know where you can get glass headlights? I checked MVP and they only have the 97/98 style.

Edit I found some on MVP. But I have Another question How hard is the whole process of taking the headlights apart? I read the tutorial about putting them in the oven at 175 for about 5 mins then taking them out. Onec you pop them out how do you seal them?

Once they're apart, you just clean up the mating surfaces and get it ready for your new bead of sealant. Use a brand name black sealant (3M) in a caulking tube. Have everything ready and cleaned up, then run your bead of sealant just where it is by factory and squeeze it all together as tight as you can, then quickly thrown the brass clips back on. then run another clean bead on the exterior and smear it in the crease.
Just make sure you dont get any sealant on the interior while placing the parts together and squeezing.
And dont be too shy on the bead of sealant....better to make sure that it's gonna seal up good the first time around. Thats why another bead on the outside is good, immediately after putting the clips on.

You'll never need to open your glass euros unless you want to paint them. With the plastic, you'll find yourself probably needing to reopen and clean them every couple years (at least?), and even after the cleaning, you're still stuck with the ugly way they look when they're turned on at night, and any other permenant imperfections. Who the hell wants to open these things more than once? :faint:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts