Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all the people asking about replacing the 89+ engine mounts (Toyota calls them insulators) here is the economical solution. Many people are already using these 98 TT mounts and enough has been said on the forums about these. However I still see threads all the time about people asking what to do. The mounts are the same height and width, however they have an extra locating pin on the bottom. The 89+ rubber mounts do not have this pin (only one at the top). This pin needs to be ground off in order for the mount to properly seat in the subframe on the car. THe bolt that mounts into the bracket on the engine is slightly smaller but that's not a big deal. Piece of cake !!!

New 98 TT mount (Insulator), you can clearly see the part number, 12360-46111:

The 89+ Rubber Mount and the 98 TT side by side:

The untouched mount (left) and the ground down locator pin (right):

Another view of the pin ground off:

Installed !!!

·
Supra Enthusiast
2,382 Posts
Thanks for the pics! My friend just pulled the motor on his 89 and his new mounts tore. Is there any huge advantage to these?

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
Awesome. This should be put in "Mk3 FAQ"

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
I got mine for free. My JZA70 half cut had these mounts on them. :D

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$55 each from Jay Mark's Toyota and probably around the same from Elmhurst Toyota but don't know that for sure.

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
Sorry, my search function does not work. Can you mention the advantage of these over just normal mounts?

- Chris

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HamsMKIII said:
Sorry, my search function does not work. Can you mention the advantage of these over just normal mounts?

- Chris
They're actually cheaper than the 89-92 mounts and they are stronger.

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the info. I purchased new mounts when I did my swap but I'd likely install these if I ever had to change them again.

- Chris

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
what about for us early 89 and back guys? and what about the torque arm??(dunno if the late 89 and up have em)

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Good to know.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
They are a lot stronger than the 89-92 engine mounts. You do pay a price in harshness though..

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
A little off topic but i was thinking bout buyin these this winter when i build my motor. So my question is i have a pre89 car and i have an extra set of 89+ mounting brackets can i use the brackets along with the 98 TT's?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
think you need the late-'89+ crossmember...

and nobody knows what to do about us early 89's?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts