Supra Forums banner

1321 - 1340 of 1380 Posts

·
yup, reefed it
886 Posts
Here's a funny one. Four guys come up to the car appreciating it. Turns out two of them are blind/near blind, but are into cars anyways. They ask if they can 'feel' the Supra lol ('92 MK3). At first I was like.. ehh, but I hadn't washed or waxed it in a while, so I said go for it lol. Even the blind can't stay away from dem sexy haunches lmao. Guy even felt up my RP02's lol

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Another encounter-

This past weekend was a long one, I got a fair but done on the car and around the house so come Sunday night, I didn't really feel like leaving. Last minute, I decided to throw in some gas to be ready for future remote tune sessions and so at about 8:30pm Sunday night; I roll into a gas station up the road. There are three other cars at the pumps, none of which are exciting (I don't remember exactly but it was something like an Aveo, a Charger and a Yaris) so I expect to be able to cruise in and out seamlessly and get home. As I pull up, I can see the owner of the charger beside me look over. My car has a 4" exhaust so I assumed it was just because of the racket. I get out and start pumping, casually staring down at my own feet, I was just thinking about how I couldn't wait for bed. Then out of the corner of my eye I see something and look up. The Charger owner is standing a couple feet from car looking at it, I glance over and smile and he says "don't mind us, we're just checking out your car", I don't remember what my response was but as I look over in front of the store, literally the entire gas station population at that moment is standing, staring and pointing at my car. As I walked in to pay, one of them couldn't reach fast enough to open the door for me. I felt like a celebrity or something. As I left the entire group stood and stared and pointed as I drove away. This car never ceases to amaze to get the attention of even people who seem like "non-car people".

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's still amazing how much attention these cars get, from fellow car enthusiasts and those who are just "normal" people who appreciate how they look. Whenever my girlfriend comes along with me, she always says "I keep wondering why everyone is staring at us and then I remember we're in your Supra". One incident about a week ago was particularly memorable...for better or for worse haha.

I pulled into the gas station, and similarly to JDMricer above, didn't see any other performance cars, so I anticipated a quick and easy fill up. I start pumping gas and I hear from the other side of the pump "sooooooo uhhhhh.....what do Supra's go for these days?"

I briefly explained what any normal person would when answering that general statement...it all depends on condition, miles, transmission, etc. A lot of factors at play, but I gave him a general price range based on the current market. I was hoping that was the end of the conversation, but it got a lot better. For story purposes, keep in mind this guy was roughly late 20's, overweight with a cut off t-shirt and grease stains, and was driving a beat to crap Grand Marquis.

Guy- "ohhh nice nice...ya I'm assuming this one isn't stock eh?"
Me- "Nope, it's singled, has all the supporting modifications for that, etc..."
Guy -"ya ya...I uh, used to have one just like this actually"
Me- (in obvious disbelief since his character didn't give off the "I own nice things" vibe) "ohh really, thats cool"
Guy- "ya, but uh, mine had a TRI TURBO set up. Ya, that means THREE TURBOS"
Me- (clearly this was turning to bullshit very quickly) "oh wow, thats a pretty unique build I haven't really seen anyone go that route"
Guy- "ya it was uh...NOT slow by any means. But ya I sold it awhile ago. It was sweet"
Me- "I can imagine, sounds pretty fun"
Guy- "ya now I got a bike...supercharged it and its fully piped"
Me- "oh cool, sounds fun"
Guy- "ya, it tops out at 210mph...got a ticket last week going 180 down this road" (this road is a very busy 4 lane city street)
Me- "oh wow, that must have been a pretty hefty fine"
Guy- "ya, it was like an $1100 ticket. They didn't catch me when I was doing 180 cause it was 3am but they found me driving around the next day"
Me- "man thats some bad luck"
Guy- "ya, I was pretty annoyed. Anyways man I gotta go nice talking to ya"

I just don't understand why some people can't just say hey, nice car and leave it at that. This story was above and beyond my expectations for BS though. Was a very good laugh once I got back in my car though, so he gets some points for that.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
It's still amazing how much attention these cars get, from fellow car enthusiasts and those who are just "normal" people who appreciate how they look. Whenever my girlfriend comes along with me, she always says "I keep wondering why everyone is staring at us and then I remember we're in your Supra". One incident about a week ago was particularly memorable...for better or for worse haha.

I pulled into the gas station, and similarly to JDMricer above, didn't see any other performance cars, so I anticipated a quick and easy fill up. I start pumping gas and I hear from the other side of the pump "sooooooo uhhhhh.....what do Supra's go for these days?"

I briefly explained what any normal person would when answering that general statement...it all depends on condition, miles, transmission, etc. A lot of factors at play, but I gave him a general price range based on the current market. I was hoping that was the end of the conversation, but it got a lot better. For story purposes, keep in mind this guy was roughly late 20's, overweight with a cut off t-shirt and grease stains, and was driving a beat to crap Grand Marquis.

Guy- "ohhh nice nice...ya I'm assuming this one isn't stock eh?"
Me- "Nope, it's singled, has all the supporting modifications for that, etc..."
Guy -"ya ya...I uh, used to have one just like this actually"
Me- (in obvious disbelief since his character didn't give off the "I own nice things" vibe) "ohh really, thats cool"
Guy- "ya, but uh, mine had a TRI TURBO set up. Ya, that means THREE TURBOS"
Me- (clearly this was turning to bullshit very quickly) "oh wow, thats a pretty unique build I haven't really seen anyone go that route"
Guy- "ya it was uh...NOT slow by any means. But ya I sold it awhile ago. It was sweet"
Me- "I can imagine, sounds pretty fun"
Guy- "ya now I got a bike...supercharged it and its fully piped"
Me- "oh cool, sounds fun"
Guy- "ya, it tops out at 210mph...got a ticket last week going 180 down this road" (this road is a very busy 4 lane city street)
Me- "oh wow, that must have been a pretty hefty fine"
Guy- "ya, it was like an $1100 ticket. They didn't catch me when I was doing 180 cause it was 3am but they found me driving around the next day"
Me- "man thats some bad luck"
Guy- "ya, I was pretty annoyed. Anyways man I gotta go nice talking to ya"

I just don't understand why some people can't just say hey, nice car and leave it at that. This story was above and beyond my expectations for BS though. Was a very good laugh once I got back in my car though, so he gets some points for that.
I genuinely don't want to be a dick and I know I'd certainly appreciate talking to a Supra owner back before I had one. That being said, I try to give people a chance but I think that's the exact conversation that we're so scared of and why most of us try to avoid talking to strangers about the car. Most people are cool, but there is always that one guy.

·
JetFire
5,361 Posts
I genuinely don't want to be a dick and I know I'd certainly appreciate talking to a Supra owner back before I had one. That being said, I try to give people a chance but I think that's the exact conversation that we're so scared of and why most of us try to avoid talking to strangers about the car. Most people are cool, but there is always that one guy.
Ha Ha agreed I dread those types of conversation. I stopped at a store to grab some stuff the other day some guy that was at end of parking lot on a bicycle rode over he said nice car then immediately started bitching to me about how expensive they are and how he can't afford one.

With overb0Ost encounter at the gas station I just don't get why people lie that hard and exaggerate.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Had a scary/ good experience yesterday.

Just got home from deployment, decide I am going to take the car for a spin. On the way to the gas station I open it up. Now my car is just a stock TT 6speed so it wasn't like one of you guys opening up and doing 120mph, but I got upto about 80mph. Slow down pull into the gas stations and walk into pre pay for some gas. As I am walking up to the register I catch a glimpse of a sheriffs car pulling in. Pulls right up behind my car and sits in his patrol car. So I decide I need some snacks and maybe check out what redbox has to offer. 5 minuets of walking around the store looking at chips and candy and he's still sitting there. Doesn't get out for gas, doesn't come in, just sitting there. Now I know he's waiting for me to come out to the car. So I spend another 5-6 min looking at the red box selection. Still sitting there just waiting, I can't stall any longer so I pre pay for gas, head out to face the inevitable ticket. As I walk up to the pump we lock eyes, he opens his car door and I begin to say sorry for going a little to...he cuts me off and says WOW. Where did you find this? Can you pop the hood? What year? After talking to him for a little bit I told him I was worried he was going to give me a ticket for speeding and I had been stalling inside. He laughed.

Anyways that was my little encounter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When i don't get attention in my 97 supra i think something is wrong, so i head back home and re wash the car
As in the post number 1337 one day i was driving watching the speed limit and all of a sudden there are flashing lights behind me, what do i do?
the cop just wanted to look at the car and he said he had never seen a supra before

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,481 Posts
I recently had the common situation of another car pulling up beside me while driving. He stayed exactly next to me, so I look over, and he's smiling with a big "thumbs up". This was a late model Mustang GT. And I was driving my NA. The TT normally gets a lot of attention because of the more agressive look (wheels, wing, FMIC, window tint, and exhaust), but it continually amazes me how much attention the NA also gets.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Exactly. Its just not in my personality to be a dick to a stranger (close friends are a different story haha), so I was nice and entertained his story but had a good laugh once he drove off. I had another encounter at the gas station this past weekend with 2 younger guys who were just genuinely excited about the car. Reminded me of what 18 yr old me would have been like if I saw one. The kids didn't have to make up a story or lie, they just wanted to check it out and complimented me on it. Much different situation and way more "normal".

·
Registered
172 Posts
i have to actually tell people sorry factory ecu no 2 step. its a given i can toss fire out the back LOLL ....QQ.
Funny, people always want me to do it too, last time I decided to oblige, I killed my wideband, never again lol.

Reactions: 1982 dragon

·
Registered
109 Posts
So guys...I do love this thread. Here is my latest:

We have a new mailman...late 20's. He came by last week....... I'm out in the garage a lot working on the cars or motorcycles. He wanted to talk...sooo the conversation goes something like

I love your car...I don't know anybody older like you that owns a Supra...how old are you...I tell him I'm 75...you're really old...& finally a personal complement...you're really cool for being that old.

We proceeded to have a very pleasant, intelligent 20+ minute conversation about the Supra, my 19 year ownership, his highly modded STI...running 27psi boost & the local Denver car scene.

It was funny & somewhat satisfying.....he was fixated on my age & kept coming back to it in our conversation.

·
Registered
172 Posts

We have a new mailman...late 20's. He came by last week....... I'm out in the garage a lot working on the cars or motorcycles. He wanted to talk...sooo the conversation goes something like

I love your car...I don't know anybody older like you that owns a Supra...how old are you...I tell him I'm 75...you're really old...& finally a personal complement...you're really cool for being that old.

We proceeded to have a very pleasant, intelligent 20+ minute conversation about the Supra, my 19 year ownership, his highly modded STI...running 27psi boost & the local Denver car scene.

It was funny & somewhat satisfying.....he was fixated on my age & kept coming back to it in our conversation.
All old people do is drink coffee and watch Matlock, didn't you know?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Wasn't home yesterday and when I came back was told two 13 year olds had knocked on my door asking if the owner was home and if he could run the car for them to hear the supra sound

not the first time had people knocking on the door complimenting me

·
Registered
545 Posts
Went to the Toyota dealership today to check some rav4s. Salesperson looks at my sup outside.
Him. Your car?
Me. Yes
Him. Hyund....Mazda?
Me. No
Him. Celica?
Ohhh supra?

Not making this shit up

·
JetFire
5,361 Posts
Went to the Toyota dealership today to check some rav4s. Salesperson looks at my sup outside.
Him. Your car?
Me. Yes
Him. Hyund....Mazda?
Me. No
Him. Celica?
Ohhh supra?

Not making this shit up
Wow can't say I'm surprised.

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts

I can't believe I missed this post!

Perhaps you should have told him a few stories about partying at SIV - that'd really flip him out. Especially the part about climbing into the back seat of a 600hp MK3 because that was the 'easy' ride to where the drinking was! :lol: :beer:

Him. Your car?
Me. Yes
Him. Hyund....Mazda?
Me. No
Him. Celica?
Ohhh supra?

Not making this shit up
Supras don't come up very often at most Toyota dealerships, and when they do, they're generally regarded as unicorns. A *really* knowledgeable salesperson might know the year range they were sold in the US, but past that it's all random-dude-at-gas-station levels of ignorance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey Jeff, who me going to party??? I can't keep up with you guys.

I'm driving this year & Beez is the co driver...looking forward to seeing you!

1321 - 1340 of 1380 Posts