Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Supra which I just bought and have not yet recieved has a ClutchMasters 850 twin series Stage 8 clutch... and it has basic BPU upgrades. This clutch is good for around 900-1000hp. It's over kill I think. I have driven twin/triple disc clutches before but not on the street, also not in a Supra.

For those that use twin disc clutch how is the driveability on those things on the street?

I drive my cars as often as I can so will probably be daily driving it. This involves city drifting, traffic, etc... I am thinking of just getting a basic single disc clutch that's good for around 500hp... not sure if I'll be able handle this kind of clutch in the city, I don't really live in a rural area and not flat.

What do you think. Worth getting a new one and sell the current?

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I'm not familiar with the CM 850 twin but it totally depends on the specific clutch. Are you finding it hard to slip?

For example, I had my HKS triple disc for close to 10 years and 80,000 miles and it has a notorious reputation as not being very slippable so it was a challenge to drive it smoothly, especially when starting uphill from a stop; sure I got used to it but it was challenging.

Now my new OS Giken triple (R3C) is highly slippable (at least it seems so to me in comparison to my previous clutch). So I find it very easy to drive under any circumstances.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not yet driven my own car its coming over from Japan. I am just wondering ahead of time.

I will mention that its only BPU, and it will be staying on the stock twins no matter what.

I guess I'll have to see how driveable it is. This clutch is only a couple years young on the market and from reviews they mention its one of the most streetable ones, so I'll have to see how it is.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
...I will mention that its only BPU, and it will be staying on the stock twins no matter what...
I got my HKS triple when I was just BPU and that stayed with me all through those years and then a few years of the single turbo setup. There is no doubt it would still be on my car now except upon inspection it looked like it might only have a year or so left on it and since the motor was out, we changed clutches.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Alright well I guess I'll have to wait and see.
I drove a 996 Turbo with one of these kind of clutches and it was pain driving it stop light to stop light!

I also got ths from the clutchmasters website:

Available Stages:
“Full Street” (TD6) - 2 fibber tuff disc, one sprung and one rigid disc.
“Street and Race” (TD6.5) – 1 sprung ceramic disc, and 1 fiber tuff rigid disc
“Race” (TD7) – 1 ceramic sprung disc, and 1 ceramic rigid disc.

so it should be adjustable.

·
Hardtopper
2,478 Posts
Spec Super Twin Disk: Slightly heavier pedal pressure than stock. Engagement was rather harsh when new -- hard to slip, chattery, etc... Once I got a few hundred miles on it the engagement become very manageable; just slightly more grabby than stock. Required a long pedal throw to completely disengage and had a large window of engagement, which made it very easy to slip/modulate. High RPM shifting took more effort than stock as a result of the heavy disks. The gearbox chatter/rattle at idle and when lugged at low RPM synonymous with all aftermarket/lightweight flywheels wasn't bad, but audible, especially idling in the garage after a drive.

RPS Billet carbon/carbon with Chromoly flywheel: Stock-like (maybe lighter) pedal pressure. Engagement was very grabby, short/harsh and borderline on/off for the first few hundred miles. Once broken in it is very easy to slip and modulate and overall very manageable, but it will bite you if you're not cognizant of its tendencies, especially when hot. Pedal throw is very short to achieve full disengagement; engagement window is very short and at the very top of the pedal. High RPM shifting is effortless due to the light (comparatively) disks. Gearbox rattle/chatter is virtually nonexistent; the only time I ever hear it is with the AC on if the idle drops below 800RPM.

·
HKS T04Z & Vpro Equipped
3,149 Posts
I have the HKS twin and it took me about 1.5 years to get it right. I still stall from time to time but it indeed did take forever to master. I might be switching to the OS Giken soon.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
^^ I agree with Louie. I HATE this clutch with the passion! HKS is one of the hardest clutches to work with ugh. Makes me not want to drive the car. Going uphill in my driveway... DRIVEWAY I stall it unless I use the handbrake and get it to slip in. Mind you I have to take my shoes off too because I just can't drive w/ shoes on. If it comes w/ this clutch I'd toss it for this very reason. Driving in Vegas I stalled maybe once but other then that no prob. in traffic... haahaa good luck.

·
HKS T04Z & Vpro Equipped
3,149 Posts
HAHAHA too funny Carlos... I do the same in my driveway, and I have to wear shoes. I cant do it barefoot and I cant do it with sandals on.... I have to wear shoes. Just went to a little car show and had to pack my sandals for walking around after I parked the car. It sucks, but what are you going to do... Normal to me now.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
yeah sandals no way for me... haahaa I throw them on the side then put them on. Check your cellie bud. Wondering if the lil one has arrived. I may be in Lancaster soon I'll swing by and drop off a little something for the lil one. =-D

·
Super Moderator
10,842 Posts
I have the HKS twin and it took me about 1.5 years to get it right. I still stall from time to time but it indeed did take forever to master. I might be switching to the OS Giken soon.
LOL Louie, you have to actually DRIVE your car to master the HKS...

I had the OS Giken R3C in my black car from 1998 to 2004 and the OS Giken quad disc (R4C) from 2004 to the present. I have the OS Giken TR2CD twin plate in my red car (since 2006), so many years of multi-plate clutch experience driving in the L.A. Basin, all OS Giken stuff. As a matter of fact, I think all the bumper-to-bumper driving in my black car has made the R4C about as forgiving as one could possibly think. None of these opinions matter if a guy only puts 500-miles a year on his car. Practice makes perfect, as they say, and nothing will make you practice (and concentrate) like 40-miles of straight-up bumper-to-bumper. I think the OS Giken stuff is eminently driveable, as Nick 95 6sp has recently found out. No way to get the hang of it, though, unless you drive the car (right, Louie!).

Ken.

·
HKS T04Z & Vpro Equipped
3,149 Posts
Absolutley right Ken! I have made it a goal to try and put 2000 miles on her before the end of the year. I have had it for almost 3 years now I think and just just over the 2k mark since owning it. Need to get to SPE a little more often since they are a little over 100 miles from my house and thats where I get all the training (5 fwy)

·
serbian by blood!!!
1,675 Posts
RPS CC Strapless; Love it, little bit stiffer then stock I'd say about 5-10% if that hardly noticeable, and it gets even better as it warms up.. Driveway/uphill parking can be tough but easily mastered.. Overall I would stick with this clutch if I was to get another twin disk.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wait so how exactly are you getting the car overseas? I thought it was extremely hard to import cars now because of all the emissions and safety laws?

Also has anyone ever had any experience with the Exedy twin or triple disk clutches? I get cost on all exedy parts through my buddys rally team.

·
Registered
488 Posts
^Not in a Supra. I have an Exedy twin in my Celica Alltrac and it feels pretty good to me for a twin disk. I drive it around town a lot and it's fairly forgiving. Somewhat slippable, although tricky on an incline. Pedal pressure is more than stock but not what I would consider heavy. They have a good reputation for quality in the Evo community. Also, no rattling whatsoever in my car. Although they may rattle more in Supras.

You could probably find reviews of the Triple on evolutionm.net. The only Exedy product I'd stay away from are their Carbon clutches based on the reviews I've seen.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Wait so how exactly are you getting the car overseas? I thought it was extremely hard to import cars now because of all the emissions and safety laws?

Also has anyone ever had any experience with the Exedy twin or triple disk clutches? I get cost on all exedy parts through my buddys rally team.
I've imported about 20 cars to this date, not hard with my connections... "Vancouver, BC" is in Canada FYI....... and we only have emissions testing every 2 years. Cars can pass easy, just get them tuned or put some cats on and that's it.

I'll put up my experience with the clutchmasters 850 next week. I'll put it to the test on incline/hill, around town, etc...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts