Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a big Zaino fan and love the stuff but it does not get the fine scratches out like I want. I have heard that 3M will work wonders on the scratches and wondered where to get it??
Jeff

K

·
0 Posts
I use 3M and it does work great, the best way to get your scratches and swirls out is to first wet sand your paint with 2000 grit paper, then use the 3m compound with a buffer being carefull on the thin edges of angles, followed by the 3m finessing compound (also using buffer). The first go over with the compound is supposed to cut the scratches out so make sure it does or the following steps will be done in vain. Work in small sections at a time (maybe a square foot or so). The buffer should be using a foam pad, there are two seperate pads for the first and second step so dont use the same pad. After you buff apply a thin wax by a hand pad going in circles and rub it out with a 100% cotton cloth, wash and your done. Make sure you get under and around the hood and trunk and all door jams and cracks to remove any compound because it will get in there ( a preasure washer is the easiest and fastest way to do this). 3m products can be bought at any auto body and paint supply house, if you want the exact product names for all of the supplies let me know and I can give them to you. Hope this helps----

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Kolaking sounds like he knows what he is talking about but that sounds like some scary s**t to do. I would hate to screw up. Good luck brave soul.
Barry H. 94ttsupra 6sp.:eek:

J

·
0 Posts
I've always had good luck with clearcoat polish on fine scratches. DuPont makes a good one. Just use it with a clean cotton cloth after you wash your car. Jeff

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kolaking does sound like he knows what he is doing but I can guarante that I do not and I will not be sanding my car with 2000 grit or using a buffer on it. I will try the 3-M but I need to find out where to get it. From 5 feet away you cannot see any scratches and the finish looks awesome!!! Thank you Zaino..:eek: scratches is too harsh a word it is just some very fine like "wash marks?" That the zaino is not taking out...

Jeff

J

·
0 Posts
jkbrauch said:
I've always had good luck with clearcoat polish on fine scratches. DuPont makes a good one. Just use it with a clean cotton cloth after you wash your car. Jeff

Oops! I meant to recommend No. 7, not DuPont. It's the only one I've tried. Jeff

K

·
0 Posts
2000 grit is extremely fine and there is nothing to sanding with it, you really can't mess it up unless you just sand one spot for hours or dont keep the paper wet, just keep a small stream of water going behind the paper with the hose as you sand . It doesn't take much to sand it,(just a few strokes (10) across a spot will work) just sand as if you were washing with a rag and dont use any hand presure, you will be able to see it working because there will be a white film starting to run. It is really easy, anyone can do it, just use common sense and don't sand in areas that you can't reach with a buffer, stay off of sharp painted edges, DON"T sand ALL the way up to an edge and keep your hose, paper, and car free af dirt particles that can get under the paper and scratch the surface. If your nervous about it I would start on a small section and go through the whole process one time and you will see how easy it is, if your paint is in good shape this will make it look like it just came out of the paint booth!

K

·
0 Posts
2000 grit is extremely fine and there is nothing to sanding with it, you really can't mess it up unless you just sand one spot for hours or dont keep the paper wet, just keep a small stream of water going behind the paper with the hose as you sand . It doesn't take much to sand it,(just a few strokes (10) across a spot will work) just sand as if you were washing with a rag and dont use any hand presure, you will be able to see it working because there will be a white film starting to run. It is really easy, anyone can do it, just use common sense and don't sand in areas that you can't reach with a buffer, stay off of sharp painted edges, DON"T sand ALL the way up to an edge and keep your hose, paper, and car free af dirt particles that can get under the paper and scratch the surface. If your nervous about it I would start on a small section and go through the whole process one time and you will see how easy it is, if your paint is in good shape this will make it look like it just came out of the paint booth!

·
road hazard
452 Posts
463supra said:
Kolaking does sound like he knows what he is doing but I can guarante that I do not and I will not be sanding my car with 2000 grit or using a buffer on it. I will try the 3-M but I need to find out where to get it. From 5 feet away you cannot see any scratches and the finish looks awesome!!! Thank you Zaino..:eek: scratches is too harsh a word it is just some very fine like "wash marks?" That the zaino is not taking out...

Jeff
you can order 3m products from their website...

http://www21.3m.com/dr/v2/ec_Main.Entry?SP=10007&SID=28181&CID=0&CUR=840&DSP=0&CACHE_ID=0

i'll probably be ordering some of their "3M™ Perfect-It™ Foam Polishing Pad Glaze Swirlmark Remover, 16 oz, PN 39009" for dark colors.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Hey Kolaking,
I see you live in Mobile, Al and I am in Birmingham. If I buy a bunch of beer and nachos will you 2000 grit sand mine (before drinking that is). Just kidding.I am too :chicken: to do that. I did the headlight lens inside out clean job listed on the mkiv site which involved (cooking the headlights in the oven) popping out the lens and doing plexus, and novus scratch remover. It also called for2000 grit wet sand. The lens looked great before the wet sand. I did the wet (with soap) sand by hand with next to no pressure. I nearly s**t in my pants b/c the lens looked milky. Thougt I ruined it. The Novus no.2 and 3 fixed it. The lens was smoother. I will leave to the pros. If anybody wants to clear up their headlight lens let me know and I will tell you a few tricks I learned doing it. Looks great! My hat is off to your bravery Kolaking.
Barry H 94ttsupra 6sp.

K

·
0 Posts
Thanks BWILL, hopefully when I get my Supra I'll be able to have the balls to do it! No, it's nothing to it really but i guess if you have never done it before it would seem a little scary, if you wanted to you could go around to some local body shops and talk to a detail man and have them do it on the side for you for a fair price, the results are really worth it.

F

·
0 Posts
you might have trouble finding 2000 grit at Home Depot, I looked there first before starting my metal polishing. The finest they had at mine was 220.

It is pretty scary to use sandpaper, but it is really fine and keep the paper wet. If the polish wont get it out, then move to the sandpaper if you're hesitant. You'll see the polish won't get it out and that will let you know you have to move to something a bit coarser.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
toysupra1 said:

you can order 3m products from their website...

http://www21.3m.com/dr/v2/ec_Main.Entry?SP=10007&SID=28181&CID=0&CUR=840&DSP=0&CACHE_ID=0

i'll probably be ordering some of their "3M™ Perfect-It™ Foam Polishing Pad Glaze Swirlmark Remover, 16 oz, PN 39009" for dark colors.

kolaking's posts sound like he's plagerizing (spelling?) my past posts (bunches probabaly within the past 8-10 months) in the "detailing" section of this forums :rolleyes:

I've been writting replies on 2000 grit, 3M (im tha poster-child for 3M), techniques, buffers, foam pads, etc etc etc etc etc etc.

It's nice to see some of yall are finally coming around :rolleyes:

sean

·
1,793 Posts
I wet sanded mine with fiber optic connector polishing paper, the absolute finest grit available. My paint was not in the best of condition due to all of the acid rain. I wet sanded using soap and water. It came out smoother than a baby's ass. After buffing down with meguiars and my DA polisher, put on a couple of coats of swirl remover with the DA polisher, then finished it off with three coats of Meguiar's mirror glaze wax, the liguid, applied with the DA polisher. It looked awesome (black car), but over the winter, the wax has taken a beating, so I need to strip the wax, re-do the swirl remover and wax again. I'm thinking of using Zaino this time around, that is if they would get out of the 1980's and offer online ordering. WTF is with those guys? Somebody send me some Zaino!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Denroll
Go ahead and order it by mail. I usually get mine within a week or so of sending it out.:D they may be behind the times but the stuff is increadible.

Jeff

·
No Kermit No!
210 Posts
my roomate had really good results with the mothers clay bar set on both his Supra and my Pathfinder.

GREG

·
dank
409 Posts
I, too, will be using the 3M fine scratch remover in the near future. At a recent car show, my dad had the opportunity to use it on his car (clearcoated Torch Red '67 Camaro) and the results were great. He even used it in conjunction with Zaino.

I can't wait to use it on my black car.

Note: Signature picture depicts wonderful Zaino results! See here for more.

:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts