Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My local Toyota dealer, along with many others I'm sure, is auctioning off their alotted Zupr4 because they can't sell it otherwise.

In my normal Craigslist snooping for Supra parts, I had seen this particular Zupr4 listed for quite a while. All with the typical "one of a kind, new Supra, collectors item, fast and furious" bullshit.

No sale.

So after getting no bites on the car(and why would they? Lmao) they are trying to save face, have deleted the sales ad, and are now hiding behind the heart strings of auctioning it for charity when the truth is: Nobody was stupid enough to buy it.

The C8 has officially castrated Tada's plans, and now they have to put out commercials to get eyeballs for this auction where "every dollar over MSRP will go to charity."

If it were a real, worthy Supra successor, they wouldn't need commercials. They wouldn't have to get down on their knees and beg for people to buy it under the guise of "charity".

The organic interest in this Z4 is just not there. They are grasping at straws now.

People are sick of this piece of shit being forced down their throats with the bought and paid for hype and artificial insertion into Fast and Furious, and it is beginning to bite them in the ass.

I'm sure this last ditch effort is being performed all over the nation.

·
10,117 Posts
^^Your comment about the lack of "organic interest" may be on point. Time will tell, but the reason it may be is because of the auction approach you referenced, coupled with a communication I received (as well as many other Supra owners in southern California) I've copied and pasted below:

Hello Supra Owner,

I’d like to introduce myself, I am the Product Sales Engagement Manager at the Toyota Los Angeles Regional office in Orange County. We are having a launch event to teach the local Los Angeles Region Supra Performance Champions (Dealership Sales Consultants) about the new 2020 GR Supra.

The reason I am reaching out to you as a Supra Owner, I would like to ask if you would be interested in participating in our event, show off your vintage Supra, and mingle with our 76 Supra Performance Champions. The event, scheduled September 5th (Thursday), is being held at the Toyota Arena in Ontario, CA and we would set-up between 12:00pm - 1:00pm, break for lunch with the Supra Champions, and then participate in a mixer with the Supra Champions until 3:30pm. The mixer will give the Supra Performance Champions a chance to learn about the Supra Heritage from the experts (you), learn about the Supra Culture, and be available to answer questions about the new 2020 GR Supra. We are hoping some of our dealerships can utilize enthusiasts such as yourself and host similar Grassroots events at the dealerships in the future.

We only have room for 10-12 heritage vehicles and would like to have at least 1 from each generation. For participating we would like to give you a complimentary Wheel Stand with your vehicle’s specifications listed so you can utilize the stand at future show events if you would like.

Please send me an e-mail with the following information if you are interested....
__

Ken.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i saw that ad on the commercial. it's either no one buying or they are trying to get more by auctioning it. but they did say anything over msrp is going to charity. i hope no one bids. lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
If this was an offer directed at me, my first reaction would be finding a bail bondsman in Canada and standby medical care for Toyota execs. But stepping back, one could use this as a platform to communicate as an expert to folks closer to the problem, and potentially send a message on how badly they botched this up. Guess that's why they asked Mr. Henderson and not Tony Schmuckatelli.

·
...pop the hood!
779 Posts
^^Your comment about the lack of "organic interest" may be on point. Time will tell, but the reason it may be is because of the auction approach you referenced, coupled with a communication I received (as well as many other Supra owners in southern California) I've copied and pasted below:

Hello Supra Owner,

I’d like to introduce myself, I am the Product Sales Engagement Manager at the Toyota Los Angeles Regional office in Orange County. We are having a launch event to teach the local Los Angeles Region Supra Performance Champions (Dealership Sales Consultants) about the new 2020 GR Supra.

The reason I am reaching out to you as a Supra Owner, I would like to ask if you would be interested in participating in our event, show off your vintage Supra, and mingle with our 76 Supra Performance Champions. The event, scheduled September 5th (Thursday), is being held at the Toyota Arena in Ontario, CA and we would set-up between 12:00pm - 1:00pm, break for lunch with the Supra Champions, and then participate in a mixer with the Supra Champions until 3:30pm. The mixer will give the Supra Performance Champions a chance to learn about the Supra Heritage from the experts (you), learn about the Supra Culture, and be available to answer questions about the new 2020 GR Supra. We are hoping some of our dealerships can utilize enthusiasts such as yourself and host similar Grassroots events at the dealerships in the future.

We only have room for 10-12 heritage vehicles and would like to have at least 1 from each generation. For participating we would like to give you a complimentary Wheel Stand with your vehicle’s specifications listed so you can utilize the stand at future show events if you would like.

Please send me an e-mail with the following information if you are interested....
__

Ken.
ken,

if toyota would have done this before they decided to build a new supra and listened to the owners, we may not be in this strange situation we're in.

·
10,117 Posts
If this was an offer directed at me, my first reaction would be finding a bail bondsman in Canada and standby medical care for Toyota execs. But stepping back, one could use this as a platform to communicate as an expert to folks closer to the problem, and potentially send a message on how badly they botched this up. Guess that's why they asked Mr. Henderson and not Tony Schmuckatelli.
This is like the third such invitation I have received related to similar events. I have not attended any for reasons that are obvious if anyone has read my various posts regarding the MKV. Having owned almost 30 Toyotas and currently owning 8 (including 2 Lexi), it pains me to feel the way I do about the car and Toyota as a company. As such, I won't place myself in the position of speaking the truth as I understand it to be at events promoting the MKV. By the same token, being a Toyota loyalist (if fading), I have also refrained from accepting invitations to activities where I felt the chances were great a lot of MKV bashing would be going on.

As I have posted extensively about Toyota's wrong-headed decisions leading up to the production of the MKV, I see this effort as one that should have taken place long before hard and fast development decisions were made. I've attended events where GM officials showed up at Corvette events seeking input. The same can be said for events I've attended where the Viper Team showed up, and the same can be said for the Porsche 911 (attended an event where there were at least 200 people screaming for the return of the manual transmission). I can think of no other manufacturer that has so studiously ignored its enthusiast community so, to call on me now, after the fact, to speak glowingly of a car I can never see myself owning......GTFO....

Ken.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's a pretty half hearted charity auction when they only donate anything over MSRP. They likely wouldn't have sold the car at MSRP so now they do this to get a few extra bucks.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,345 Posts
The mixer will give the Supra Performance Champions a chance to learn about the Supra Heritage from the experts (you), learn about the Supra Culture,

Ken.
I would've accepted on these criterions alone. Supra heritage, you'd hear it. Supra Culture, the Supra Culture is here on Supra Forums. SF members who are active in this section know what I mean and what has fomented with all generationZ. Yes, I would've happily gave a State of the (Supra) Nation Address. Alas, I was amidst with discongruity! Yes, disappointed and efervescently grieving to hear you're declining(ed). Mayhaps I can be an abassador for you and Supra Forums at large? Is it too late? I now publicly offer my services to the Supra cause, and I do publically declare I shall be a stalwart hero and serve the SF Community with pride if I am to be a delegate. My training shall come to pass with due diligence, and duly noted insight for those in attendance.

Humbly Signed,
CHEVYdude :)

·
Wheel Whore
2,293 Posts
I lose faith in Toyota on a daily basis so long as Tada is the Chief Engineer. However, I know it's about making money and selling a lesser car to the masses than selling a halo car to the enthusiasts.

·
Blue Thunder
3,346 Posts
We had one of those"EVENTS" here in Virginia last week. My wife and I did not attend, but others did. They really screwed the pooch with this and now it shows.

There is one LE here in Glen Burnie Md, with a sticker of $72k !!! LMAO. It's been there since July 23rd.
I also saw one in Evans Ga this weekend. On the floor since July 23rd at MSRP. No bites at all. The public is letting their wallets talk by NOT buying this. Which is the right thing to do.

B

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would've accepted on these criterions alone. Supra heritage, you'd hear it. Supra Culture, the Supra Culture is here on Supra Forums. SF members who are active in this section know what I mean and what has fomented with all generationZ. Yes, I would've happily gave a State of the (Supra) Nation Address. Alas, I was amidst with discongruity! Yes, disappointed and efervescently grieving to hear you're declining(ed). Mayhaps I can be an abassador for you and Supra Forums at large? Is it too late? I now publicly offer my services to the Supra cause, and I do publically declare I shall be a stalwart hero and serve the SF Community with pride if I am to be a delegate. My training shall come to pass with due diligence, and duly noted insight for those in attendance.

Humbly Signed,
CHEVYdude :)
Lmao, I read this comment in Jeff Sessions’ voice for some reason! 😂😂

·
Anime Dork
5,099 Posts
My dealership has now had the Launch Edition here for a month as of Aug 26. They are still asking $20k over sticker it will not sell anytime soon especially with so many Launch Edition's still sitting at various other dealerships from what i can see from the few searches i've done on autotrader.com and cars.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
So dumb, "let's beat that 2.1 million " lmao. The car didn't sell in 93-98 due to price, now they cant sell the 2020s due to mark ups. And they expect to auction them? Lmao.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Are there any new Zupra owners on this forum or is it only the aftermarket shops who bought them? I haven't really seen any posts from normal owners. Then again maybe I'm not looking close enough.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Are there any new Zupra owners on this forum or is it only the aftermarket shops who bought them? I haven't really seen any posts from normal owners. Then again maybe I'm not looking close enough.
Shops and YouTubers are 90% of the customer base at this point.

There are more anglerfish than there are shrimp.

Many, many less shrimp are biting than Toyota anticipated. Now the stingray(C8) is going to clean up.

There are innumerous Zupr4s for sale on autotrader and other classifieds that aren't going to sell.

Unfortunately, Tada/Toyota backed the entire operation into a corner with these ridiculous prices at dealerships because now they cannot just simply start cutting prices this early in the game because they'd be admitting that their product sucks without saying it. They have to keep the prices up and pray.

Their best bet is to simply wait it out, pivot with another Tada style goofball lie about why they aren't selling, do some more auctions, slash prices on premier models in the second quarter of 2020 like they are Samurai, blame it on 2021 models arriving third quarter, and wrap it all up in a catchy summer fun deals commercial with Laurel Coppock.

Production ends relatively shortly thereafter.

This car is going to be relegated to buy here pay here lots after people trade them in and the dealers auction them off.

It's a pity that Toyota didn't produce the FT-1 because if they had, you wouldn't be able to get your hands on one.

The Zupr4 will be nothing more than a funny Jalopnik article 20 years from now.

·
iSPOOL
806 Posts
Still over 225 Launch editions posted online. I'm having trouble understanding how this car cannot sell 1,500 of its first batch of vehicles in the US. Many that are at MSRP. Meanwhile Chevrolet dealers are not taking any more orders for 2020 C8 Corvettes and have moved onto reserving orders for 2021 models...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Still over 225 Launch editions posted online. I'm having trouble understanding how this car cannot sell 1,500 of its first batch of vehicles in the US. Many that are at MSRP. Meanwhile Chevrolet dealers are not taking any more orders for 2020 C8 Corvettes and have moved onto reserving orders for 2021 models...
A while back they said all the MKVs in the UK and Japan were sold out but I don't think they made that claim for the USA.

·
iSPOOL
806 Posts
A while back they said all the MKVs in the UK and Japan were sold out but I don't think they made that claim for the USA.
The numbers for both Europe and Japan were small though correct? Less than 1,000 production cars for each area. Australia is even lower somewhere around 200-300.

Outside of the Launch Editions, how many production cars are they expecting to sell in the US per year? Someone said in the 4,000 range?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
About this Discussion
104 Replies
34 Participants
Brotato
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing