Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,345 Posts
If you build it they will come.
Worth saying again.

What kind of interest/numbers has the actual BMW Z4 sold? Yall don't get snarky now :p What I did hear from other people with regards to this car, is that people were like, why would they pay that for a Toyota Supra when they could just have the BMW?

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,345 Posts
Lmao, I read this comment in Jeff Sessions’ voice for some reason! 😂😂
Lol, you gotta' hear my good ol' Texan country boy accent come out. Sometimes it surprises me. It's like I'm say something blah, blah, blah, and bam! BBQ and Chevy trucks just showed up with a damn racoon driving. Yaaaaalll!

·
10,115 Posts
The numbers for both Europe and Japan were small though correct? Less than 1,000 production cars for each area. Australia is even lower somewhere around 200-300.

Outside of the Launch Editions, how many production cars are they expecting to sell in the US per year? Someone said in the 4,000 range?
The Toyota sales projection for the U.S., is 12,000 cars annually. This projection may include Canada, in which case this would be a North American number, but I am unsure about this aspect of the sales projection.

Ken.

·
10,115 Posts
For perspective, and depending on the source used, Toyota sold 11,231, 11,274 or 12,000 MKIVs (NA and turbo) from the middle of 1993 to 1998 so, while 12,000 is not a big number in the scheme of things, it's a big number relative to the MKIV. For additional perspective, Toyota sold a bit over 30,000 MKIIIs during its peak sales year, so a 12,000-unit sales year for the MKV is possible, though not probable.

Ken.

·
iSPOOL
798 Posts
For perspective, and depending on the source used, Toyota sold 11,231, 11,274 or 12,000 MKIVs (NA and turbo) from the middle of 1993 to 1998 so, while 12,000 is not a big number in the scheme of things, it's a big number relative to the MKIV. For additional perspective, Toyota sold a bit over 30,000 MKIIIs during its peak sales year, so a 12,000-unit sales year for the MKV is possible, though not probable.

Ken.
12k does seem like a lot if its strictly US but it is the introductory year. I'll be interested in seeing the final sales numbers. I do hope it sells, it just won't receive any of my funds.

·
Registered
854 Posts
You know, this whole situation reminds me of how the Nintendo Wii U didn't sell as well as they had hoped. Perhaps it was the 3DS, I'm not sure which system it was exactly, was in the early 2010's though. The CEO for Nintendo essentially went without pay, voluntarily, as recompense for the product's failure.

Now I don't know how much it costs to develop a gaming console, but I do know that cars are extraordinarily expensive to develop. I don't know what sort of cultural shame would come from the failure of a car of this stature, but I do know one thing: I wouldn't wanna be in Tada's shoes right now. I feel bad for the guy, but, dude... LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO WILL HAPPILY BUY YOUR CAR IF YOU SEEK FEEDBACK BEFORE COMMITTING TO PRODUCTION.

Hell, I would have likely bought one myself, had it been Toyota built / powered, and looked like the FT-1. Dig around a bit from SIV 2015 posts, and you'll likely find me saying as much, right here on SF.

·
Anime Dork
5,098 Posts
Still over 225 Launch editions posted online. I'm having trouble understanding how this car cannot sell 1,500 of its first batch of vehicles in the US. Many that are at MSRP. Meanwhile Chevrolet dealers are not taking any more orders for 2020 C8 Corvettes and have moved onto reserving orders for 2021 models...
The biggest problem on why this car cannot sell is the fact the dealerships are price gouging like crazy and toyota corp does nothing about it. if the dealers would be at least a little bit reasonable then maybe they would've been sold out from the get go, but no the greedy fucks thought this car was the second coming, but people realized it wasn't. especially with the reveal of the C8 a few weeks before release.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just saw a post in my local craigslist selling one for $132K.
Kinda hard to sell them at that price.

·
Anime Dork
5,098 Posts
$132k man these guys are really going for it aren't they.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The funniest part of the dealer mark ups over 100k is...

This car became a BMW cluster fuck because Toyota didnt want to pay to develop a car thats gonna cost people 100k... but where do we currently sit?
We have a rebadged BMW that dealers are trying to charge 100k for lmao.

Yes, the dealer mark ups wont last and are ridiculous to begin with, but funny how toyota corp wont do anything about it when the whole point was to build a generally affordable car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi ALL. Just wanted to point out another reason many possible would be buyers won't buy the 2020. See my post under (Test Drove the new Supra), I actually went down to the Toyota Dealer to Purchase one, and could not, no matter how I tried to scrunch up my 73 yr old body, actually get into the car. So bottom line is you are not going to buy it to drive, if you can't get into it to drive. to bad Toyota is Excluding a good percentage of the populace that would actually buy the car by making the entrance opening so small. And I would bet there are quite a few like me that would buy if they could.
P.S. the dealer I went to here in Central Florida had it marked up 10k over MSRP, for the launch edition + a bunch of back room extras. And the Salesman was trying to entice me to buy even though I couldn't get into the car by saying that Toyota was going to discontinue Production after the 2021 model year. I think I can see why.
Luck to all---Semper Fi

·
Very Senior Member
9,887 Posts
Just saw a post in my local craigslist selling one for $132K.
Kinda hard to sell them at that price.
I'll just wait and get TWO C8's for that money.....................

·
Very Senior Member
9,887 Posts
.... And the Salesman was trying to entice me to buy even though I couldn't get into the car by saying that Toyota was going to discontinue Production after the 2021 model year. I think I can see why.
Luck to all---Semper Fi
Well, I don't know what Toyota will do but we know that BMW has already said the Z4 is toast.

·
Anime Dork
5,098 Posts
And the Salesman was trying to entice me to buy even though I couldn't get into the car by saying that Toyota was going to discontinue Production after the 2021 model year. I think I can see why.
Luck to all---Semper Fi
I love how all car salesman lie through there teeth and say the most outlandish shit ever to sell something. if that sales person is anything like the scumbags at my dealership they don't know squat about the car let alone any of there cars on the sales floor.

·
iSPOOL
798 Posts
Side note: a little VW Golf R giving the Zupra a run for its money....respect to the Golf for taking it down.

·
Kappa Check 1 2
651 Posts
Well, I don't know what Toyota will do but we know that BMW has already said the Z4 is toast.
Not that I doubt you guys or are questioning for the sake of making a point, but this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've read this. I searched to try and find some info on BMW calling quits on the z4 but I can't find anything, any info on this? Would be much appreciated.

-Rich

·
Registered
272 Posts
Not that I doubt you guys or are questioning for the sake of making a point, but this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've read this. I searched to try and find some info on BMW calling quits on the z4 but I can't find anything, any info on this? Would be much appreciated.

-Rich
Article came out https://www.automobilemag.com/news/whats-going-on-bmw-future-strategy-products/ about it but nothing directly from BMW about it so far. At least from what I have seen.

Like Audi and Mercedes, BMW is struggling to make money on cars that retail at less than €40,000, and roughly the same amount in U.S. currency. The rear-wheel-drive 1 Series, the 2 Series, and lower-trim 3 Series variants contribute very little if anything at all to the bottom line, and the company has established a list of doomed models. In addition to the three-door 1 Series, 2 Series Gran Tourer, and 3 Series GT, tombstones are being chiseled for the 2 Series convertible, standard-wheelbase 7 Series, Z4 replacement (sorry, Toyota), and both two-door 8 Series variants.

·
Inline for the win
4,677 Posts
The best things Toyota could do to save this car is:

1. Develop their own drirvetrain and electronics to replace the short life bretzel crap
2. Start on the MKVI (manual or DCT, straight 6 TT, and kill this sawed off recarnated 318ti crap of a BMW.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts
About this Discussion
104 Replies
34 Participants
Brotato
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing