Supra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
10,114 Posts

·
Kappa Check 1 2
648 Posts
You know, this post has nothing to do with the auction linked above, but I didn't even know there was a social aspect to Bring-A-Trailer until about 2-3 days ago when I read the thread about Matt (FasTTurbo) getting banned over there. I'm sure it works for them to get more traffic through the site but personally, I think that's the absolute shittiest idea to have a public forum right underneath an auction. I mean, just look at all the mudslinging/shaming/4th grade bs going on over there right under a car that's trying to be sold! It's about the same caliber as for sale posts on facebook, 80% filled with filth, broke folk, and tire kickers that aren't involved with the actual sale of the car at all. Pretty laughable, IMO.

-Rich

·
Kappa Check 1 2
648 Posts
Article came out https://www.automobilemag.com/news/whats-going-on-bmw-future-strategy-products/ about it but nothing directly from BMW about it so far. At least from what I have seen.

Like Audi and Mercedes, BMW is struggling to make money on cars that retail at less than €40,000, and roughly the same amount in U.S. currency. The rear-wheel-drive 1 Series, the 2 Series, and lower-trim 3 Series variants contribute very little if anything at all to the bottom line, and the company has established a list of doomed models. In addition to the three-door 1 Series, 2 Series Gran Tourer, and 3 Series GT, tombstones are being chiseled for the 2 Series convertible, standard-wheelbase 7 Series, Z4 replacement (sorry, Toyota), and both two-door 8 Series variants.
Thanks for the link!
Very interesting for sure, I've heard at least a few times about the emission ordeal in 2021, I'll admit I'm pretty oblivious to this dilemma and should probably do more research.

Either way, I wonder how this will affect the MKV in particular and perhaps Toyota with the "Supra" name moving forward.

-Rich

·
10,114 Posts
You know, this post has nothing to do with the auction linked above, but I didn't even know there was a social aspect to Bring-A-Trailer until about 2-3 days ago when I read the thread about Matt (FasTTurbo) getting banned over there. I'm sure it works for them to get more traffic through the site but personally, I think that's the absolute shittiest idea to have a public forum right underneath an auction. I mean, just look at all the mudslinging/shaming/4th grade bs going on over there right under a car that's trying to be sold! It's about the same caliber as for sale posts on facebook, 80% filled with filth, broke folk, and tire kickers that aren't involved with the actual sale of the car at all. Pretty laughable, IMO.

-Rich
Rich,

Couldn't agree more. I would never enter an auction just to beat down on a car that was on the auction block. When I joined the site many years ago, the membership was very good at self-policing, but that has changed with the site's incredible increase in popularity.

I don't have much to say about a car I do not believe is a real deal Toyota Supra, but I'm not going get on BaT just to bash the car because someone owns one and is trying to sell it. I mean, the guy (dealer in this case) has paid his money and is entitled to a fair and unbiased auction to the extent possible. Usually, the comments section on BaT is a wealth of information but, on occasion, something happens where it devolves into a free for all. The MKV, unfortunately, has generated one of those situations.

Ken.

·
Kappa Check 1 2
648 Posts
Rich,

Couldn't agree more. I would never enter an auction just to beat down on a car that was on the auction block. When I joined the site many years ago, the membership was very good at self-policing, but that has changed with the site's incredible increase in popularity.

I don't have much to say about a car I do not believe is a real deal Toyota Supra, but I'm not going get on BaT just to bash the car because someone owns one and is trying to sell it. I mean, the guy (dealer in this case) has paid his money and is entitled to a fair and unbiased auction to the extent possible. Usually, the comments section on BaT is a wealth of information but, on occasion, something happens where it devolves into a free for all. The MKV, unfortunately, has generated one of those situations.

Ken.

Ken,

Totally agree. I suppose my only snapshots of the community over there are from your link, and what happened to Matt, which might not be an accurate representation of the folks over there. I understand the MKV is very controversial, but no matter which car it is, I'd be pissed if there was a huge trashcan of forum underneath my sale post/auction, even if it's expected with this car. Out of respect to all involved and my want/appreciation of no bs when it comes to buying/selling online, if I ran that site I'd at least have it setup to where only those that actually bid can comment, that would cut out a lot of the malicious crowd or those with ill intent. But again, I'm sure the comments section does the site some good.

For the record, by no means am I defending nor against the MKV in this auction. I'm with you on this, no reason to really say a word myself when the communities/internet are speaking loud enough already about this car. lol

-Rich

·
Anime Dork
5,096 Posts
my question to everyone does the new supra really need an inline 6?

i mean Toyota has very capable V6 engines that can make power and are fairly good. why shouldn't toyota just use one of these modern V6's vs trying to live up to this by gone era of the inline 6. i think the best example of this is the GTR and and its V6 motor vs the old RB. People at first didn't like it cuz it wasn't inline then when they found out that it could make power it seems that people have for the most part accepted that its not inline anymore.

·
iSPOOL
793 Posts

i mean Toyota has very capable V6 engines that can make power and are fairly good. why shouldn't toyota just use one of these modern V6's vs trying to live up to this by gone era of the inline 6. i think the best example of this is the GTR and and its V6 motor vs the old RB. People at first didn't like it cuz it wasn't inline then when they found out that it could make power it seems that people have for the most part accepted that its not inline anymore.
I would go on a limb and say most here would agree the Supra doesn't need an inline 6. It just needed a sporty Toyota engine.

·
Registered
311 Posts

Years ago I would have said the inline 6 is necessary but not anymore. V6s used to be super super lame. 15 years ago, nothing with a V6 was exciting. Now having owned a GT-R, a Toyota with a 2GR-FE, and driven C43, C63, E63, and every BMW M car, the most rewarding driving experience is the 2GR-FE. There's not really a noticeable difference in power delivery between a C43's V6 and an M2's inline 6. The factory turbo cars fall flat at high RPM where the 2GR continues to build power nearly to the red line.

What I love about a big turbo 2JZ is the power never stops building. You want to stay on the throttle because it just keeps getting better. Turbos on factory engines now are almost always undersized and everything that made early turbo cars exciting is lost. The cylinder orientation doesn't change this. Take any engine, don't make it complicated(don't 3D print a manifold around an intercooler...), preferably put too big of a turbo on it and people will love it if it holds together.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

-Rich
I don't know the situation, but FasTTurbo probably got banned because he was telling the truth.

I happen to totally agree with the comment section being on sale ads.

If Craigslist and other classifieds had comment sections, a lot fewer people would get ripped off and a lot less time would be wasted on people's junk.

You could post what is wrong with the car or if the seller is an asshole.

Sure, there'd be people making stuff up because they couldn't get the seller to accept a lowball offer but I'd say it'd work 75% of the time.

You could even mitigate by making everyone commenting on the site register/link their Facebook so that there's be less nonsense and false claims.

·
Kappa Check 1 2
648 Posts
You could even mitigate by making everyone commenting on the site register/link their Facebook so that there's be less nonsense and false claims.
^This. This 1000%.

Yeah I can see the flip-side that you pointed out as well, double edged sword I suppose. I think it just comes from my distaste of the peanut gallery showing up on every for sale post these days just spewing crap.

-Rich

·
Anime Dork
5,096 Posts
Years ago I would have said the inline 6 is necessary but not anymore. V6s used to be super super lame. 15 years ago, nothing with a V6 was exciting. Now having owned a GT-R, a Toyota with a 2GR-FE, and driven C43, C63, E63, and every BMW M car, the most rewarding driving experience is the 2GR-FE. There's not really a noticeable difference in power delivery between a C43's V6 and an M2's inline 6. The factory turbo cars fall flat at high RPM where the 2GR continues to build power nearly to the red line.

What I love about a big turbo 2JZ is the power never stops building. You want to stay on the throttle because it just keeps getting better. Turbos on factory engines now are almost always undersized and everything that made early turbo cars exciting is lost. The cylinder orientation doesn't change this. Take any engine, don't make it complicated(don't 3D print a manifold around an intercooler...), preferably put too big of a turbo on it and people will love it if it holds together.
I'm just curious as to why they didn't use the the turbo motor out of the Lexus LS500 it makes 400+hp i'm sure they could've used this and tuned this for more power and possibly used the trans from the RC-F or GS-F

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,345 Posts
I'm just curious as to why they didn't use the the turbo motor out of the Lexus LS500 it makes 400+hp i'm sure they could've used this and tuned this for more power and possibly used the trans from the RC-F or GS-F

My belief to this, is that according to reports Lexus has "parted ways" and has become more independent from Toyota in order to shed the Toyota feel/vibe. This was done in order to give Lexus a more up-market and indy image. Thus, no Lexus engine would be used in a Toyota Supra as it would be contrary to the push to seperate Lexus from Toyota. I have spoken.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Is there some company policy that prevents Lexus parts from being used in Toyotas? Toyota parts make it into Lexus but does it work the other way? Cadillac publicly had serious beef with the idea of sharing their Blackwing engine with any other GM brand.

·
Administrator
8,190 Posts
Guys, please stop using logic, thats not why toyota did what they did.

·
10,114 Posts

Supra enthusiasts, more than anything, wanted a true Toyota Supra with a true Toyota motor befitting of the Supra. Several Toyota motors have already been suggested, all good candidates from my perspective. An inline 6 was definitely not a must-have for me. That was another fiction created by Tada to justify Toyota's decision to sell out to BMW in every important respect, but styling, related to this car.

Ken.

·
10,114 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
The first full month sales data are in on the MKV. According to Toyota, 643 cars were sold in North America: https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-motor-north-america-reports-august-2019-sales/

Ken.
963 sales year to date. I assume preorder cars would have been in July so only 320 preorders were actually fulfilled? It's believable considering how many launch editions are still available.

If the plan was to sell 12,000 of these per year, it sounds like it's way behind. I can't imagine sports car sales figures are great in the winter months so I'd guess a figure of around 2,000 sales per month in the summer would be the target.

·
Kappa Check 1 2
648 Posts
Not very surprising given some of the mark-ups we've been seeing. Have base and premium models been rolled out in full force already to replace the 1500 LE's? I only ask because for every 10 LE's I see for sale, I only see 1-2 premiums. I figure things will change once the dealers live down the hype, but we will see. I remain hopeful for good sales for a possible MKVI down the road, but not sure that I want to hold my breath on that at this point.

-Rich

41 - 60 of 104 Posts
About this Discussion
103 Replies
33 Participants
JWick64
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing