Supra Forums banner

101 - 120 of 159 Posts

·
Very Senior Member
9,962 Posts
Someone tried to auction off a Supra on Bring a Trailer and it failed to meet the reservation, even though the top bid was $56,700...yikes.

And the seller was a dealer that bought the car at auction after it failed to sell at the first dealer. Thought he would get more than MSRP! SMH.
Anyway, I hope the dealer learned a lesson - and I hope that BAT learned not to try and be autotrader.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think i fit the target audience for the MKV. Young professionals who were part of the F&F generation whom are into imports.
Had the car come with a Toyota drivetrain/chassis with a limited release I would've happily paid the 60/70/80/90k. I would've also been ok with sitting on a waiting list for a year+

Like someone earlier said, "build it and they will come"
They really screwed up with MKV. I know many people who fit the criteria of their target audience and none are considering the Zupra.
Instead we're buying GTRs or (like me) MKIVs

·
supra7
501 Posts
We already have a used one that got traded in already. Funny to see it already on a used car lot and that the orginal owner didn't care for it. I work for herrin-gear Lexus here in Mississippi

·
Registered
47 Posts
We already have a used one that got traded in already. Funny to see it already on a used car lot and that the orginal owner didn't care for it. I work for herrin-gear Lexus here in Mississippi
wonder how much they gave him for it. My guess is sold it with 10-20% markup, bought back for %70 msrp

·
supra7
501 Posts
I think they wanting 60k+ for it to used. I laughed like hell. Wanting that much over new list price for a used bmw. To me its now only worth 35-40k in used condition

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My thought on all of this. If Toyota thought it was too risky to make the car in house and was not going to make that much with low sales figures because negative reception of a BMW partner ship then WHY even bother with this. Common sense should have told them this is not a smart move. There was much more risk then gains. They gambled and lost. It's not like they were going to make Toyota Camry/Prius profits with this and now they have to lose face. Sure maybe they were trying to do their customers a favor by having something sporty but to me they should have left it alone until they knew they could do it the right way and secure their legacy. I really don't think any successful halo car should be having these types of conversations about it. Look at the C8 its more excitement vs having a bunch of angry fans and then fans that have to defend it lol.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Zero Interest. Zero. 6 pages of negative posts, not a single post correct or sticks with facts:

Supra sales so far:

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/toyota/toyota-supra/

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29702/2020-toyota-supra-outsells-toyota-86-subaru-brz-combined-in-first-full-month-on-sale-in-us

Too early to say, but it looks like it's on track to beat MKIV. BMW Z4 sells extremely well as well.

The only problem I see is the MKV was delivered right for a recession. That could slow things down, as sales of luxury items have slowed down lately.

·
Administrator
8,336 Posts
Why are you comparing apples to oranges? That article talks about the first month of sales anyways. Slowdown on luxury item purchases? Didnt the vette sell out almost for the 2020 allocation?

You think you are not part of the negativity somehow because you come in defense of a car that needs none. It's a great car, all the angered sentiment is towards it not being a real Toyota product by enthusiasts. Why is that a bad thing? Your on supra forums, naturally your in a place where there are many enthusiasts and the general opinion in negative towards a product not produced by the company they built a hobby from. Why do people have to see your point of view only and if not it's just a bunch of haters and dismissed as nothing more.

People who like the mkv, cool enjoy. Doesnt make it a Toyota product just means you like the car.

·
Registered
328 Posts
What first month you're talking about? You will use any kind of out of full context stuff to prove your point. There are 3 months in the chart in the second link.

I'm not defending anything. If keeping facts straight from overall complaining and incorrect statements is negativity to you, then I'm fully guilty of it.

I don't understand why you even replied to me? The entire thread is incorrect. I come post a factual sale numbers (any idiot can do that), which shows all of you were wrong, and you come out and blame me for negativity.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
Zero Interest. Zero. 6 pages of negative posts, not a single post correct or sticks with facts:

Supra sales so far:

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/toyota/toyota-supra/

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29702/2020-toyota-supra-outsells-toyota-86-subaru-brz-combined-in-first-full-month-on-sale-in-us

Too early to say, but it looks like it's on track to beat MKIV. BMW Z4 sells extremely well as well.

The only problem I see is the MKV was delivered right for a recession. That could slow things down, as sales of luxury items have slowed down lately.
Terribly shocking that a car with a multi-million dollar advertising campaign including but not limited to an entire social media team, Superbowl commercials, commissioned articles from major news outlets, and paid hypejobs by YouTube and Instagram influencers managed to do a little better in initial sales than a car with 1% of the advertising effort and budget long before the time of the internet in general, much less the absolute inundation of social media, cell phones with quality cameras and superfast data rates, without having the luxury of it's predecessor doing all of the heavy lifting of it's image by being a motorsports and cultural icon.

With that big of a tail wind, Zupr4 sales should have been immediate and through the roof. Toyota spent millions of dollars clawing their way to the middle.

Nothing will erase the facts of the car being an absolute imposter that have been discussed here. People spend their money on stupid shit that some schmuck on social media told them that they wanted all of the time.

The C8 sold out immediately and then into the next model year on nothing but free as the air you breathe word of mouth and internet forum mystique, with more allocations beyond the reported sales cutoff coming in from people with money to spend for future models like the convertible that are not on the books for this fiscal year.

With the legend of the MKIV behind it and a 2 decade long passionate in-house design and over-engineering effort from head to toe, the FT-1 would have sold out exactly as the C8 did while charging whatever the fuck they wanted, and that's a fact.

·
Registered
137 Posts
@awegrzyn Im laughing cause I dont get what the "facts" are

Its all apples to oranges comparisons, really seems like someone paid off to try and twist things to sound good.So like everyone else I'll beat the dead horse cause you apologists dont get it.

Toyota sold 643 Supras in the month of August
Toyota sold 643 Zupras month one, a highly anticipated vehicle that was coming off as the predecessor of the MKIV. Im sure good portion were panic buying for the Launch Editions due to the illusion of demand.

First full month on sale for the Scion FR-S—as the Toyota 86 was then known—it sold 2,684 units
Im lost so the Scion FR-S outsold the Zupras first month out? Different price points I understand, but still outsold it, so how does this show its performing well? Even then FR-S/86 isnt really setting a high bar.

Even in its best year of 1994, Toyota sold just 3,488 fourth-generation Supras
So we're comparing a MKIV in the 90s which was underappreciated and under-marketed, and really not realized until out of production. To the Zupra first month of selling that was heavily anticipated/marketed and greatly benefited from the reputation of the MKIV Supra name?

I wont even bother to put the caveats the author put in to his statements so he doesn't sound like a moron, cause he seems to understand hes blathering idiotic statements. You want to talk about the success of the Zupra compare it to its weight class. C8 like stated didnt even need any advertisements cause the car sold itself and is sold out, the Zupra also took a step down in performance class from its predecessor but sure putting an article with a guy who shares your opinion is "fact".

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,150 Posts
Thread is pointless. The sales indicate this car is not desired nearly as much as other cars. For good reason, but it's not a bad car in fact it's actually quite good, just not what we wanted. I think in time it probably will be appreciated later on. But it will always have the sigma.

·
Administrator
8,336 Posts
What first month you're talking about? You will use any kind of out of full context stuff to prove your point. There are 3 months in the chart in the second link.

I'm not defending anything. If keeping facts straight from overall complaining and incorrect statements is negativity to you, then I'm fully guilty of it.

I don't understand why you even replied to me? The entire thread is incorrect. I come post a factual sale numbers (any idiot can do that), which shows all of you were wrong, and you come out and blame me for negativity.
Why I replied to you? because you are reading facts without context. Want to get specific? there are 2 Billion more people on earth now then in 1993 when the mkiv was first sold. 5.5 billion then to 7.5+ billiion now. That alone could count for the marginal amount mkv sales alone, or maybe money is easier to come by these days.

Why I replied to you? are you that fucking arrogant, do you live in a bubble sir?

Matt

101 - 120 of 159 Posts