Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my wideband basic bundle that I purchased new (from a respected forum member) and it is NOT reading correct. I was on my way to drop my car off to the mechanic for a tranny swap (stuck in 4th) and I was finaly able to test the wide band under load. After even 4000RPM at WOT it reads a solid 14.7, 14.5!! I could understand if the RPM or TPS was not working (but they are) because of me wiring it wrong, but not the AFR readings. It reads right off the widband to the "black boxs" to my computer and has nothing to do with me. The sensor is positioned (by an indiviual that has experence with widebands) off the down pipe around 11" down. The car is under 12 psi and running on the stock ECU map and is confirmed by all the black around my cutout.

I am getting very tired of this guys. I just wanted to finaly get my car back form the tranny swap (might be a clutch and pressure plate problem as well) and turn the boost up and tune it and LEAVE IT ALONE WORKING!! The last of the puzzle I thought would be tuning it but now that does not seem to be working. :dunno:

It has been since August of last year and all this was supposed to be up and running in 2 weeks. Yes some of the issues was my fault and luck was not in my favour. BUT something like this that should be straight forward....... Just the thought of testing this or that and might be this... for something that is used yes I might of looked for this but this was new.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

BA

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
did you change the setting to 6cyl.? did you wire everything in (tps,vf,etc..)?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It is set to 6cylinders. I only hooked up the TPS and the RPM signal. Does the Zt2 need the VF to read the AFR off the wide band?

Thanks

Bobby Ali

BA

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
How is the sensor oriented, down towards the bottom(ground) of DP or towards the top? Is the power wire connected to a good 12V source? What are your readings when you let off the throttle snd deccelerate (should be 21:1 as fuel is shut off at this point) It's possible you had a bad sensor but I would think it might give an error message. Have you contacted Zeitronix, they are great about response time and tech support.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm not sure how the WB sensor is calibrated on the ZT2 but on my LM1 you have to calibrate the sensor before first use either out of the exhaust path or before the car is started the first time. It sounds like a sensor problem.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Does the Zt2 need the VF to read the AFR off the wide band?
no it doesnt. double check your wiring, also did you solder or tap into your harness? Alot of people have had problems with electronics just being tapped in and not getting a good signal. I soldered mine in and have had no problems. just double check everything.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks you guys for your replies.

"How is the sensor oriented, down towards the bottom(ground) of DP or towards the top? Is the power wire connected to a good 12V source? What are your readings when you let off the throttle snd deccelerate (should be 21:1 as fuel is shut off at this point)"

The sensor is oriented at the top 10-11" from the top off the elbow/downpipe.

The Power wire is connected to it's own power source in the inside main fuse panel (hooked in the slot,I put a 10A fuse and I am aware that the ZT2 has it's own fuse but just wanted to be safe).

No when I let off it still reads 14.2 - 14.7. It does not read irratic like I believe it should (like my RPM and TPS does). It steady off or on throttle, WOT, boost, no boost, half throtle etc., at 14.2-14.7. I would drive steady it would just read 14.2. I would stab the throttle WOT @9psi, it will still read 14.2 and MABEY just change to 14.4 or something.

"Have you contacted Zeitronix, they are great about response time and tech support."

Now there is an idea worth it weight in gold. Talk about me looking over the obvious. Until then any more input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

BA

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,727 Posts
Bobby

Sorry to hear that you're having issues.

Something is certainly not right somewhere.

Does the power to the unit turn on with the ignition switch? I have been told that if you run the car with the sensor installed but not powered up by the ZT2 you will damage the sensor. I am not sure why this is though.

Do you know anyone with a known good sensor you can swap into your car for testing?

I will also be interested to hear what Zeitronix has to say.

Let me know if you need me to dig up records of the purchase regarding the warranty.

Dan

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan,

As I stated previously, I purchased it from a well respected member. Your above response is a testament to my conclusion of yourself.

I hooked (a mechanic did with me watching) it up to a ignition activated power source. Dan I will keep SF posted on what I hope to find out.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

BA

:)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nosechunks said:
i remember reading on here that someone was having a similar problem for liek the first 10 minuites of use and then after the sensor heated up it worked or something. im not sure though.
I let the car warm up for 5min and the drive was 20min to get to my mechanic.

Dan, I am waiting on the transmission install (got clutch and pressure plate back) and I will get on it ASAP. I should get the car back Monday or Tuesday for the latest. Your concern is well noted and will keep you abreast of the happenings.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

BA

·
Search
3,305 Posts
i have a zt2 myself... i never read or heard anything about calibration...

their tech support is awesome... i was virtually carring on an IM conversation with one of their techs they reply so fast.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,222 Posts
it's fixed.. I found the problem... It was the Sensor wire, the RJ45 has a bad wire somewhere. After testing with the voltemeter it was the brown wire it must have been broken somewhere... simple fix thanks to the fact that they use common available wires.

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,727 Posts
Glad to hear it. Kind of like troubleshooting a PC. It always nice to be able to swapout parts.

Thanks for getting it fixed. I don't like it when people have trouble with shit they got from me.

Let the tuning begin!

Dan

·
Registered
421 Posts
sorry to bring up old thread but my zietronix rpm reading is off by 300 or so rpm's,,, like my afc/tach is reading 700 when my labtop tell sme 1000.,,.,. ?
what should i do?

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Yep, on the laptop setting. I'm not sure how the display will vary if you opted for the Zt2 display as I don't have mine showing rpm anymore but you do need to tell the program you have a 6 cyl. engine since it uses the square wave signal. At first I didn't do this and wondered why it thought I was reving so high. Should effect any other readings though.
Brian

1 - 19 of 19 Posts